Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A. That data is my best understanding of production data (not deliveries). It is production from the factory that is most relevant in understanding where production constraints are. If one looks at delivery data then that adds in a lot of other variables that not only confound the overall picture, but which are also different for each factory due to the different delivery chains, and which change with time. So production data is what I use. The data is shown in the graph, in the table above. The origin point is clearly shown in the table. If you have better data by all means show it, but that is the best data that I have (so far) been able to accumulate. (Often, but not always, I adopt Troy's data - and a thank you is owed to @Troy for sharing so generously with the TMC community and being one of the few people to be systematic).

B. For the most recent Austin/Berlin quarter (i.e. Q1-2023) the production data is courtesy of Troy. Once again, thank you Troy. If you have better production data then please show it. I too am surprised by the implication that Berlin has fallen behind Austin during Q1, but I can think of a number of reasons why that might be (primarily different down times for New Year holidays; and being given different amounts of battery love; and the length of the delivery chain for battery supply to Berlin vs the overall shortness of the battery supply chain to Austin). But those are after-the-event rationalisations and may not be correct, and indeed the underlying data may be erroneous. However it is the best data that I have. If you have better data please post it. And no, burst data is not better data - it is overall quarterly production data that is required. As you yourself note the VIN data is somewhat ambiguous.

C. Au contraire. The Shanghai ramp rate is the best we have so far for an upper bound, and so should be respected. Yes of course there were particular factors, but nonetheless to suggest that it cannot be repeated is to suggest that Tesla will always be worse at volume manufacturing than once they were.

D. The 3/Y battery production graph is what it says on the tin - a quarterly CHANGE in battery production graph. Since the average pack size is assumed to be constant it might as well be a quarterly change in 3/Y production. What it tells us is how good Tesla is (or is not) at getting cells into the vehicle assembly lines as the lines go through ramps, both in absolute terms (which ought to grow over time) and in relative % terms (which ought to be somewhat constant). What you can see in the available data is that the growth rates in the last three quarters are not as great as one would have hoped for. Whether the issues are in LFP supply, or in 4680 supply, or something else I do not know. I suspect that the LFP is having to do a lot of heavy lifting (almost all of Berlin) to make up for a relatively weak ramp in 4680. But that is only my suspicion as there is not sufficient evidence in the data to be completely confident regarding that conclusion. (If you were to go to the Near future quarterly thread you will find enough data posted by me that you can yourself reproduce that graph - see Near-future quarterly financial projections ). If you have better data please post it.

Absolutely. All I am doing is pointing out the logical implications of the best data we have so far (or at least the best data I've been able to pull together so far). It may of course be that the plan is to fix it all in the last quarter, who knows. But one thing we do know is that both Semi and Cybertruck consume a large number of cells/vehicle so to the extent that we are focussed on the vehicles/year metric (and I am not overly fixated on that, but many will be) then towards the very end of 2023, and definitely during 2024 and 2025, it will be even harder going to ramp the cell supply at the required rate.

Thank you, some good info there.

Some minor quibbles.

- I'm not so sure that Megapack LFP cells can be repurposed in any meaningful way to vehicles, as that would require raw material / early stage stuff to be processed in a different set of lines at the cell supplier. But I've not seen a compare-and-contrast of the LFP cells in the Megapack vs the ones going into the vehicles so as to understand to what extent there is commonality. Maybe it is a late-stage-customisation process in which case it might be an easy switch. My suspicion is otherwise and that the implication is that one would have very unbalanced lines and very unhappy supply chains and vendors. It would be good to know more.

- Powerwall had (has ?) yet (?) to switch to LFP and is in any case trivial volumes. (We know that from some recent Powerwall milestone data). A switch to LFP is supposed to be occurring and indeed it would be good if they could engineer commonality with vehicles at that moment, for these very reasons.

- Regarding other OEM capacity becoming available that of course would be great in some respects. (not from that of overall transition mission, but more so from a Tesla-specific TSLA shareholder perspective). However to what extent would Tesla be wiling to adopt other cells that were tailored for other OEMs in a timeframe that is relevant for the next 18-months ? As @GhostSkater says the BYD and CATL LFP packs are vendor-built. To what extent is there spare capacity at BYD and CATL that is currently allocated to other OEMs but under utilised ? And is it product-specific or common with the Tesla product ? And what about the other (non CATL/BYD) suppliers, especially of LFP ?

Didn´t follow the whole discussion so maybe already mentioned, but @StatsTesla on Twitter updated the graph on Giga Berlin VINs delivered in Norway. I know VIN analysis can be misleading but as this is long term data matching the milestone data points Tesla has given, I think it is a nice independent source for production rate. Seems like a nice steady increase.

Just remember there are lots of other NEVI requirements that Tesla doesn't currently meet. So even if NACS only was an option it wouldn't make much difference.

Also, there are ~10x more companies applying for NEVI funding than there is available contracts.
Absolutely true. The market is removing a big barrier with NACS but there are requirements like view screens and card readers, that IMHO Tesla may not want to touch, having solved those much more reliably with the current Superchargers. But we will see what they do.

UK Google Ad Services on search for "UK EV Share"

Yesterday Ads stopped for me on both devices.

Today:
Android/Opera/My main google account: Yes - sent link to email on PC
few minutes looking at logs when using same link on PC - all done by JSON/identifers/GUIDs/browser code rather than redirects (so I won't share in case of personally identifiable information - PII)

gap in time and then
Android/Opera/Private window: No
Android/Opera/My main google account: No (few minutes after first attempt)

I'll stop there, I don't want to fill up the thread but thought a small update was warranted - the conclusion being that Tesla advertising is very limited/targeted or using a PC in the mix messed things up.

I'm surprised Tesla are doing this so close to 30th June - end of quarter/when the 6000 mile promotion ends. It doesn't leave much time for deliveries.

When Tesla fill up sponsorships on youtube videos like those of Ground News, Athletic Greens, VPNs or financial scams, I'll consider that as an alarm bell. We're not there yet!

Absolutely true. The market is removing a big barrier with NACS but there are requirements like view screens and card readers, that IMHO Tesla may not want to touch, having solved those much more reliably with the current Superchargers. But we will see what they do.

EDITED: it does have payment and display requirements, but ...

NEVI does not require a "screen" per se. It requires some information display, but it could be relatively basic.

It seems to require a card reader, but it can be contactless, which avoids a lot of the normal problems.
Automated toll-free telephone or SMS payment is also required.

It is California that had funding requirements with a card reader and did not allow just contactless.

Payment Methods

This final rule establishes a requirement that charging stations must provide a contactless payment method that accepts major credit and debit cards and accept payment through either an automated toll-free phone number or a short message/messaging system (commonly abbreviated as SMS). Payment methods must be accessible to persons with disabilities, not require a membership, not affect the power flow to vehicles, and provide access for those that are limited English proficient.

However, I do think that Tesla wasn't directly seeking the NEVI funding. It just wanted NACS on the NEVI chargers, and it has effectively succeeded in doing that with the adoption by other companies.

By getting NACS on NEVI chargers it ensures that its owners get the advantage of the subsidies, avoiding competitive disadvantage (although it loses competitive advantage by opening up),, while continuing with its own Supercharger network build-out knowing that subsidies will cover some areas that would be unprofitable.

Last edited:
Distracted driving causes 500,000 injuries or deaths per year in the USA.

This distracted driving accident didn't cause injury or death, but it did involve a Tesla so it's top news on Reuters.

I passed a billboard in PA on Monday that claimed 74% of traffic fatalities involve a semi truck. This was right after passing a lane closure with a little FIT or something with the back end smashed in, the semi parked behind it with a dented bumper and an ambulance. And seeing some wild driving by semis up and down the hills of Interstate 81 from central PA to central VA. Just some TACC could make a huge difference, much less all the features of the Tesla Semi.

Didn´t follow the whole discussion so maybe already mentioned, but @StatsTesla on Twitter updated the graph on Giga Berlin VINs delivered in Norway. I know VIN analysis can be misleading but as this is long term data matching the milestone data points Tesla has given, I think it is a nice independent source for production rate. Seems like a nice steady increase.

On the topic of Norway, elbilstatistikk.no shows that a few days ago Model Y overtook Model 3 for 3rd in Total cumulative new Registrations. Next up is the e-Golf which it should catch in 3 or 4 months. Catching the clear leader Leaf for 1st place could take 18 months to 2 years at the current rates.

I passed a billboard in PA on Monday that claimed 74% of traffic fatalities involve a semi truck. This was right after passing a lane closure with a little FIT or something with the back end smashed in, the semi parked behind it with a dented bumper and an ambulance. And seeing some wild driving by semis up and down the hills of Interstate 81 from central PA to central VA. Just some TACC could make a huge difference, much less all the features of the Tesla Semi.
I agree TACC and autopilot for semi trucks will instantly make our roads MUCH safer for passenger vehicles and pedestrians.

But I couldn’t find number anywhere close to what you saw on that billboard.

According to IIHS “Eleven percent of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2021 occurred in large truck crashes.”, and “Twelve percent of all passenger vehicle occupant deaths and 22 percent of passenger vehicle occupant deaths in multiple-vehicle crashes in 2021 occurred in crashes with large trucks.”

Edit to add: the hyperlink isn’t working. Here’s the link to the source.

Last edited:
Excerpts from Root article in Barron’s this morning:
  • first-quarter delivery result was in line with expectations, and a record
  • investors didn’t like something — TSLA fell 13% between P&D and earnings, then another 10% after results disappointed, closing at about $163 on April 20
However, 2Q comes in compared to that, we have the additional digestion of the recent run up to factor in.

Reactions: lascavarian
I agree TACC and autopilot for semi trucks will instantly make our roads MUCH safer for passenger vehicles and pedestrians on our roads.

According to IIHS “Eleven percent of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2021 occurred in large truck crashes.”, and “Twelve percent of all passenger vehicle occupant deaths and 22 percent of passenger vehicle occupant deaths in multiple-vehicle crashes in 2021 occurred in crashes with large trucks.”
Thanks for doing that research. I assume since the billboard was paid for by a law firm, that there are many caveats to that datapoint and it was exaggerated. Still, the point remains. Add in accidents caused by car drivers freaking out at a crazy semi maneuver that doesn’t involve impact.

Noting that this is deliveries, not production (so this may be conservatve in P terms), and noting that there may also be skew in geographic spread of deliveries (so this may be conservatve in P terms), and noting also the biggest unknown of are there gaps in VINs (which would make it over optimistic in P terms) ............

............ this is higher than the Berlin production I assumed in my Q2-2023 analysis (for which the source is @Troy with thanks).

Troy is estimating 47,250 for the Q2. That would be average of 3,635/wk for a full quarter of 13 weeks.

Given what we believe was the Berlin production for Q1 of 38,600 that implies starting the quarter at a rate of approx 3,300/wk and exiting the quarter at a rate of approx 3,900/wk. Comparing that 3,900 with the 5,432 of @StatsTesla might hint at an upside surprise. Or there are gaps in the VINs. Or some other confoundment.

There is quite a lot of suspicion that there may be gaps in the VIN sequence so don't get hopes up too much. I wonder if that is the cause of the big missing blocks in the graphical plot in the tweet, i.e. they truly were skipped, not just shipped elsewhere than Norway. (There are some horizontals missing, as well as the verticals)

Last edited:
Powell speech: We believe there's more restriction coming, driven by labor market | FXStreet

"Jerome Powell, Chairman of the Federal Reserve System (Fed) and Christine Lagarde, European Central Bank (ECB) President, speak alongside Bank of England..." (8 mins ago)

EDIT: 10-Day Moving Average touched at 10:33 am (TSLA now +3.0% Intraday)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-06-28.10-33.png

#CompanySymbolWeight PriceChg% Chg
1Apple IncAAPL7.605857
up.gif
0.07(0.04%)
2Microsoft CorpMSFT6.804991
up.gif
0.89(0.26%)
3Amazon.com IncAMZN3.15433
up.gif
1.63(1.26%)
4Nvidia CorpNVDA2.832977
down.gif
-8.34(-1.99%)
5Alphabet Inc Cl AGOOGL1.923029
down.gif
-0.17(-0.14%)
6Tesla IncTSLA1.843941
up.gif
4.99(2.00%)
7Meta Platforms Inc Class AMETA1.737005
up.gif
0.66(0.23%)
8Alphabet Inc Cl CGOOG1.66367
down.gif
-0.00(-0.00%)
9Berkshire Hathaway Inc Cl BBRK.B1.635842
down.gif
-0.66(-0.20%)
10Unitedhealth Group IncUNH1.228975
down.gif
-3.94(-0.82%)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-06-28.10-00.png

Last edited:
So week or so ago posts had the European countries that report daily really looking like Q2 would be less than Q1. Well here are updates. As reported now Q2 is 1933 short of Q1. Norway has 2+ days to report left. Sweden has 3, Netherlands 4, Spain 3 and Denmark 3. If they average what they have all month long Q2 will come in 840 short of Q1. Still things are trending better. All countries have been reporting better then daily average the last few days. Hell Norway has done close to 400 today so far and the average for the month is 115.

I agree TACC and autopilot for semi trucks will instantly make our roads MUCH safer for passenger vehicles and pedestrians on our roads.

Edit to add: the hyperlink isn’t working. Here’s the link to the source.
Commercial equipment (including vehicles) have always had less stringent safety requirements than consumer equipment, so this result is unsurprising. I recall when seatbelt laws first came in, taxi drivers were exempt in some jurisdictions.

Tesla Automation, formerly Grohmann Engineering, is located in Germany. As I understand it, they are the source of the 4680 production equipment. I don't see getting the equipment to GigaBerlin as a problem as the 4680 equipment originates in Germany.

They do have to ship the 4680 line equipment from Germany to Texas, Nevada, and California production facilities. These locations would incur the shipping delay.

The reason they are focusing on getting 4680 running in the US is solely due to the IRA benefits.
If I'm not mistaken they also make them in Canada

I can't wait to see the existing public DCFC vendors incorportate the NACS along with the government required glitchy touchscreens and card readers. Good luck trying to hit 97% uptime. Meanwhile, Tesla's SpC's will be humming away at 99.7% uptime using the identical specs. What the current administration needs is a new cabinet position of Technoking.

For those that thought they saw a few google ads. Seems it is real.

FWIW, since I have been vocal anti-broadcast advertising and pro-placements. These are typical of the things I agree with. Unfortunately the word 'advertising' applies to both very precise and excellent tactics and generic TV ads that are focussed towards nobody. This stuff works, especially because on Google advertisers can select the precise audience that will receive them. Precision is highly valuable so long as it can be accurate. Both are easy to accomplish with both Google and Amazon. Both are not inexpensive, but are worthwhile so long as the advertiser has the technical ability to target accurately. Tesla does.

If I'm not mistaken they also make them in Canada

Thanks! I had forgotten about the Hibar purchase. Now called Tesla Toronto Automation. Didn't find detail about what their contribution is to the overall.

There was a new Tesla Automation factory built in Germany, and it may be the more significant source of Tesla's manufacturing equipment.

I don't like commenting on short-term market movements, they normally are random and mean nothing ... and I usually end up being wrong. But, the last two days remind me of times in the past where markets shrugged off Wall St players on the way to new highs. Retail investors buying the dip have moved stocks a long way when they get behind something. One characteristic of being a blue-sky-tech-AI company is that a "reasonable" person could put a value of anywhere between $100 and $1,000 on the shares. That takes the "cap" off of the price ... especially after many of the weaker conviction shareholders just bailed.

Last edited: