Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't the last split being an utter nothingburger finally put the nail in the coffin of "splits F the shorts in the A" speculation?
I don't know. Tesla gave a long notice before the split date. Plenty of time for "those people" to take a nap, watch a movie, take another nap, and then prepare for the split.

They do already do that in the US at their MagicDock sites. But it has already been stated that customers of OEMs that adopt the NACS inlet will pay exactly the same price as Tesla owners. No monthly fee or markup.
But looks like magic dock buildout has stopped after two in the west and maybe a dozen on the east coast ? Maybe because of subsequent avalanche of NACS adoption pledges

Nothing substantive and I now know to pay no attention to anything further coming from Herbert.

So, essentially, you don't listen to anything from Rob Maurer, because... GoJo? /s

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this interview are those of the speaker and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of this Youtube channel.

Did you catch the faux play? "and they don't have any techological disadvantage". U Go, Jo!

Cheers to the Longs!

Herbert did a nice video today with Tasha K. Ark needs to update their models to include Bot. She thought that FSD/RT was easier than getting bot running ... which I think is wrong. Bot will beat RT to market IMO. If you think about it, RT is replacing a chauffeur and Bot is replacing a factory worker (initially). Both have a similar value but the Bot is far easier to produce and train.

Bot will definitely be in use before FSD, due to simple fact that consequences of not operating perfectly are far less risky (Dead people with FSD vs job incomplete with Bot)

I often look to AAPL for megacap comparisons to TSLA....I was comparing historical EPS (and PE) of the two companies and found it interesting that what TSLA has done in the last 1 year and 3 quarters (specifically to grow their EPS from $0.30 to over $3.50) took AAPL 11 years to do (2009-2020). Impressive.

Tesla is growing earnings faster than any mega cap company in history. Only Amazon (2015-2018) and Facebook (2012-2016) have come even close.

Even on a logarithmic scale Tesla’s extraordinary earnings growth sticks out obviously.

1688946900379.png

It's not. Jordan's thesis is based upon the flimsiest logic that refining will outstrip mining, an unexamined premise only rooted to analogies to the past. Who do I trust to have more current inside information on the Lithium supply chain, Elon or Jordan? No, I think Jordan has gone over to the dark-green side, and instead of 'chasing the algorithm' on Youtube he's now 'pandering to patreons' for his income. Where else have we seen that go bad?
Look anything posted on YouTube needs some critical thinking before diving into it head first, but TLF is one of the best technical resources specifically for batteries available anywhere. There could be a plan at Tesla, or like many of Elon's ventures its a "we'll solve it when we are forced to." I believe Tesla is keenly aware of the market place and believe they have a plan but if you watch this particular portion of the series it's extremely informative.

His work is far more researched and fact based than the dozens of channels dreaming up scenarios and unrealistic timelines promising 18T valuations by 2025.

But looks like magic dock buildout has stopped after two in the west and maybe a dozen on the east coast ? Maybe because of subsequent avalanche of NACS adoption pledges

Ha! Tesla should sell/licence "Magic Dock" to groups like FLO/Chargepoint/M-B USA so they can save money switching to NACS while still supporting legacy charging on CCS-1... :p

Cheers!

Bot will definitely be in use before FSD, due to simple fact that consequences of not operating perfectly are far less risky (Dead people with FSD vs job incomplete with Bot)
Let's see. A human like robot motor controls for manipulation of various situations will be challenging. Think of the grip and control to pick up a thread to thread a needle or break an egg. There are just an infinite number of outputs depending on the situation and all will require constant feedback.

Actual control outputs of the car (steering, brakes, etc) is straight forward but the surrounding environment is more challenging.

They both have different challenges.

They do already do that in the US at their MagicDock sites. But it has already been stated that customers of OEMs that adopt the NACS inlet will pay exactly the same price as Tesla owners. No monthly fee or markup.
Well, they could raise the prices for everybody a little, and then let Tesla owners only buy a monthly or yearly pass to get lower prices. Or something. There is close to zero chance that the agreements with all the other brands have covered every possibility. That doesn't mean Tesla wants to do this but if they really want to there will be ways to give Tesla owners a better deal.

Tesla is growing earnings faster than any mega cap company in history. Only Amazon (2015-2018) and Facebook (2012-2016) have come even close.

Even on a logarithmic scale Tesla’s extraordinary earnings growth sticks out obviously.

View attachment 954773
Hey Giga, if you have the data - even just for the first 5 - since the companies started and you could line the earning up by quarter rather than dat, it might be interesting. Like this chart:
1688952722895.png

His work is far more researched and fact based than the dozens of channels dreaming up scenarios and unrealistic timelines promising 18T valuations by 2025.

You have lost it here. Tesla's HISTORICAL growth over the past 7.5 years is MORE than 50% (I challenge you to find out exactly what the HISTORY is for Tesla since the 2015 10-K). Report that number here, post charts if you dare.

Tesla right now has the most exciting new product roadmap of any megacap company. What to you have (other than incredulity) which indicates Tesla will not do exactly as they've said they will do in the future, as they have in the past?

Argument by analogy ("nobody's ever done that before") will not cut it with Tesla. Personally, I've been lucky: My 5.25 yr CAGR is 66.7% as of now (charts posted upthread). In fact, the BIGGEST difference between Tesla today vs Jan 01, 2016 (just before Model 3) is that Tesla no longer needs to go to the Market to raise cash. Indeed Tesla is printing $4B cash per quarter right now, and that's even while investing $8B/yr in CapEx FUTURE GROWTH.

So, please mark all of the following which you consider "unrealistic":
  • Dojo production begining in July
  • Cybertruck delivery event in Q3
  • Model 3 "Highland" released in the $30K price range
  • Megapacks 10K/yr in Lathrop in '23, + Shg in '24
  • FSD Feature Complete within 18 mths (auto gross margins ↑ 15%)
  • Optimus humanoid robot working in Tesla factories in 2024
  • "Model 2" Compact car hits the streets in 2025, 2M/yr by 2026
  • Semi production ramps to 100K/yr by 2026
  • Compact car factories open in Asia and Europe by 2026
  • Robotaxi's approved, total auto production hits 20M/yr by 2030
  • all the while, COGS on existing products grind down -7%/yr due to:
    • 48v architecture
    • lower labor per unit
    • $1K drive line cost per car
    • Tesla battery + cathode production
    • unboxed process backfilled to current factories
Now, I've purposely kept this list short, so it doesn't include Auto Insurance, Home solar/battery w. charger + HVAC, a worldwide charging network, Electrical grid innovations, or AI training and Robotics services. But you should get the idea.

You really should. As should all TSLA investors.

Good luck!

You have lost it here. Tesla's HISTORICAL growth over the past 7.5 years is MORE than 50% (I challenge you to find out exactly what the HISTORY is for Tesla since the 2015 10-K). Report that number here, post charts if you dare.

Tesla right now has the most exciting new product roadmap of any megacap company. What to you have (other than incredulity) which indicates Tesla will not do exactly as they've said they will do in the future, as they have in the past?

Argument by analogy ("nobody's ever done that before") will not cut it with Tesla. Personally, I've been lucky: My 5.25 yr CAGR is 66.7% as of now (charts posted upthread). In fact, the BIGGEST difference between Tesla today vs Jan 01, 2016 (just before Model 3) is that Tesla no longer needs to go to the Market to raise cash. Indeed Tesla is printing $4B cash per quarter right now, and that's even while investing $8B/yr in CapEx FUTURE GROWTH.

• 48v architecture
    • lower labor per unit
Now, I've purposely kept this list short, so it doesn't include Auto Insurance, Home solar/battery w. charger + HVAC, a worldwide charging network, Electrical grid innovations, or AI training and Robotics services. But you should get the idea.

Good luck!
I had stock from the IPO, but at some point ETrade stuffed up and gave those shares to charity instead of the ones I specified. Instead I have from Dec 4 2012 with $2.12 strike price showing 57.31% annual gain for over 10 years.

I've been giving serious though to this, we know there will be 68 Megapacks in Texas, but no way in hell Elon would let an opportunity like that to pass and not add one more

I'm thinking the 69th one might be really close to the main entrance, maybe on the other side of the road near all the landscaping so people visiting and on events it can be seen up close

Might even be a display model without any of the internals, but mark my words, there will be 69 Megapacks there

1688953733721.png

It's not. Jordan's thesis is based upon the flimsiest logic that refining will outstrip mining, an unexamined premise only rooted to analogies to the past. Who do I trust to have more current inside information on the Lithium supply chain, Elon or Jordan? No, I think Jordan has gone over to the dark-green side, and instead of 'chasing the algorithm' on Youtube he's now 'pandering to patreons' for his income. Where else have we seen that go bad?
Both Jordan and Elon are on the same page here. Tesla has many times tried to address this impending issue from their production plan presentations while Elon actively begging raw material suppliers to ramp up production with the promise of unlimited money. This doesn't sound exactly like "there're plenty of raw materials to go around" in the near future to me.

• 48v architecture
    • lower labor per unit

Good luck!
thanks for this amazing synopsis of Tesla. very impressive (both Tesla the company and your post).
personally, i have been trading in and out of Tesla since January 2014 (mostly in rather than out) and while i do not remember my CAGR since 2014, i can safely say that i have done reasonably well. last 4 years CAGR would be in neighborhood of well over 200%+. like one specific account is up approximately 59X and another only 8X which is after paying taxes (and numerous margin calls) and even then that one is like north of 60% CAGR over 4 years.
so, Tesla skeptics are welcome to their opinions. i am happy with my portfolio performance thanks to TSLA
i was watching trailer of some upcoming movie about how some retail investors made money at expense of wall street in GME. i am fairly confident that sometime in distant future Hollywood will make movies about the phenomenal wealth created by TSLA retail investors between 2010 through 2032 or whatever. more exciting to watch TSLA ticker in real life than any Hollywood movie

Last edited:
here is some useful speculation based on hard cold facts (not investment/trading/financial advice). suppose i am a cold blooded trader hell bent on making most out of every opportunity that TSLA presents in monthly as well as weekly and daily time frames (i most certainly am not, i can assure you):
so how should i think of current TSLA stock price in big picture terms.
2012 through 2013 TSLA ran up 7.62X over 14 months straight before a -40% correction. total timeframe from low of $1.70 in august, 2012 to high of $19.48 in september ,2014 which is 11.45X over 26 months
june 2019 through february,2020 TSLA ran up 5.47x over 9 months before a brutal -63.8% correction. what happened next is too fantastic to be true, yet many of us experienced all this first hand. a spectacular 14.12 X return over 15 months between june, 2019 through August, 2020 and overall 35X return over 30 months from june 2019 through november, 2021.
fast forward july 10, 2023. after a stunning -75.44% correction over 15 months from november, 2021 through january, 2023, we are currently up only 2.79X from $101.81 to $284.25 high over 6 months
big picture term, i suspect overall another 20 months or so to go which brings me to sometime in february, 2025 through june, 2025 +/-a few months
as far as magnitude of gains? who knows! yet, back in 2009 BIDU which fell over 14 months from $429 to $100.50 had risen to $260 to $300 by month #7 which is very similar to TSLA and subsequently ran up to $1600 over a total bottom to top span of 32 months
TSLA in 2019 had fallen -54.5% over 22 months from september, 2017 through june, 2019 and was up "only" 2.04X over first 6 months of ascent
currently, TSLA up approx 2.8X over 6.5 months or so
i am getting ready for a very exciting, wild ride over next 2 years or so
pure speculation, i must say
very little sleep, here i come

nasdaq futures are down big time as of 1.15 am cst : fun never ends