Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Zeekr 001, despite the flagrant plagiarism of the Tesla UI, seems like quite a reasonable deal for the price.

100 kWh battery and what seems like decent build quality / materials for 60K Euro. Vehicles with similar battery capacity from Tesla or MB are +/- 40K Euro more expensive (as a rough comparison).

Unsure about their production capacity, but they are a subsidiary of Geely, akin to Polestar.

Autogefuhl gives an overview of the vehicle (don't mind the thumbnail title, video is Tesla-neutral):

Zeekr 001 initial overview - Autogefuhl

Last edited:
This Zeekr 001, despite the flagrant plagiarism of the Tesla UI, seems like quite a reasonable deal for the price.

100 kWh battery and what seems like decent build quality / materials for 60K Euro. Vehicles with similar battery capacity from Tesla or MB are +/- 40K Euro more expensive (as a rough comparison).

Unsure about their production capacity, but they are a subsidiary of Geely, akin to Polestar.

Autogefuhl gives an overview of the vehicle (don't mind the thumbnail title, video is Tesla-neutral):

Zeekr 001 initial overview - Autogefuhl
What you will notice is competitors are all trying to earn attention from buyers by stabbing themselves with negative margins in doing so. The Tesla/Elon brand is too loud, perhaps even louder than Apple/Jobs. So many needs to copy and then do some song and dance in order to make any noticeable sales at the expense of highly likely to go bankrupt if there's no other way to gain attention.

IMG_6135.jpeg

Websites banner updates and emails going out now warning that the Model 3 and Y tax incentives are likely decreasing after the end of year, not sure if from critical mineral requirements or if this is more about batteries being disqualified if they contain any components from foreign entities of concern.

Considering how the credits have been rolled out so far, I’ll be surprised if they’re actually cut

1689141172474.png

Tesla won't build most of the 48v components for its Monterrey Giga factory. Instead, about a hundred new supplier facilities are (even now) under construction in Nuevo Leon. One Chinese supplier, for example, is investing $100M in their new plant.

Tesla Looks for Local Parts Suppliers as It Builds Mexico Plant | BNN Bloomberg (June 10, 2023)

Oh how the times have changed when Tesla first began production and couldn't get tier 1 suppliers to give them the time of day! 😉

This is extremely interesting! Someone talk me out of dreaming that the cybertruck may be AHEAD of schedule somehow?
Even if that cannot be true, it looks to me like the cybertruck launch will not be a half dozen employee-only models to test the waters. I think cybertruck production this year may be higher than expected.
My original guess was 1,000 cybertrucks this year. I think I'm now mentally doubling that.

Someone talk me out of dreaming that the cybertruck may be AHEAD of schedule somehow?
This is normal schedule.

My original guess was 1,000 cybertrucks this year.
/me checks dates

Delivery event in q3: say september 1. That leaves 100 working days ... to build 1000 they need to do complete 10 per day, one per hour.

I'd say what we are seeing is just evidence of them NOT being behind schedule.

Do we know that the delivery event will be so late though? We are q3 now.
In my dreams, Elon has learned his lesson at last about overpromising on timescales, and has been sandbagging the cybertruck schedule. I wouldn't be *that* surprised to get an announcement for an August delivery event.

I'm assuming a mediocre Q2 earnings, due to margin drops, and a subsequent $230-240 stock price, bumbling along until the CT delivery event, which should turn things around nicely. Hoping to see $300 on the basis of cybertruck-news-overload.

and for those anticipating today's macro influences...

In June, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers increased 0.2 percent, seasonally adjusted, and rose 3.0 percent over the last 12 months, not seasonally adjusted. The index for all items less food and energy increased 0.2 percent in June (SA); up 4.8 percent over the year (NSA).

(The June YoY expected CPI was 3.1%)

Websites banner updates and emails going out now warning that the Model 3 and Y tax incentives are likely decreasing after the end of year, not sure if from critical mineral requirements or if this is more about batteries being disqualified if they contain any components from foreign entities of concern.

Considering how the credits have been rolled out so far, I’ll be surprised if they’re actually cut

View attachment 955497

Tesla pushing FOMO again. They have increased production and just want to sell it. Probably just affecting the SRs.

and for those anticipating today's macro influences...

In June, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers increased 0.2 percent, seasonally adjusted, and rose 3.0 percent over the last 12 months, not seasonally adjusted. The index for all items less food and energy increased 0.2 percent in June (SA); up 4.8 percent over the year (NSA).

(The June YoY expected CPI was 3.1%)

The Market likes the CPI numbers:

Consumer Price Index Summary - 2023 M06 Results

TSLA.2023-07-12.08-30.CPI.png

Looks like a few speculators jumped the gun before the BLS data embargo lifted at 8:30 ET.

Cheers!

Tesla pushing FOMO again. They have increased production and just want to sell it. Probably just affecting the SRs.
SR Model 3 and AWD Model Y?

Probably depends what the cause is, both the critical mineral and component percentage requirements are increasing next year but also batteries are supposed to be excluded starting next year if they contain any components from foreign entities of concern and who knows if it's possible or how many batteries can be manufactured today with zero Chinese components.

This legislation has already been implemented much more generously than I imagined, never would have thought Ford Lightnings and ID.4's would have qualified for the full $7500 in unlimited numbers, so really not sure where it's going.

Threads of the day:
The demise of the OEMs Is this peak rate of decline? Checkout number of posts in last few days.
TruthGPT & X.AI New Twitter handle and crashed website (x.ai);
"We are a separate company from X Corp, but will work closely with X (Twitter), Tesla, and other companies to make progress towards our mission."

Elon talking on Spaces tonight (Artificial Intelligence).

Last edited:
GM builds dreck and then instead of fixing the problems, they outsource it to Asia. In the 70's I briefly had a Chevy Vega. That was GM's answer to small cars being imported from Asia. It was garbage, leaked oil like a sieve and something always seemed to be falling off. Gas was less than a $1 a gallon then but it was costing me a fortune with constantly pouring oil into the engine. GM builds huge boat size cars. Anything smaller they just can't figure out. Once Tesla realizes they screwed up they fix it while they are making the cars. GM, Ford and the others are toast.
To be fair, that is a US-centric view. GM makes excellent small cars, none of which are really suitable for the US markets. Chevrolet Onix, for example, is highly successful and well suited for purpose. Of course it was not US designed, but was designed in Brazil. Numerous successful GM cars were designed in Korea, others in China. It remains to be seen how successful any of those good GM designers and builders can adapt well to BEV's.

It does get old trying to convince US based people that giant behemoths such as Model 3 are being successful despite their fat and long physiques not because of those. Those who have harsh words for GM and Ford need to understand they're not so hampered in countries that design and build their own market vehicles.

Despite all the people who think otherwise Tesla is soon to enter those markets with the 'Model 2' and will gradually add others as battery supplies and factory development provide capacity. There are markets, high volume ones, where the Toyota Corolla is positioned as a luxury car. It looks like the US ones but is better fitted and more upscale.

In short, Tesla is NOT US centric, just look at sales volume, the US is no longer dominant in Tesla sales despite the lack of appropriately smaller vehicles. Once again, these are NOT necessarily cheaper, higher priced variants are always offered and are quite popular. For all those US people who canto understand that plus search for Hot Hatch to see samples.

For GM specific learning one need go no further than the Wiki:

Many of us post these things frequently but many others of us cannot believe the reality. The land of F150 and Model Y as a compact may never understand space constraints. BTW small does not mean constricted interior space. If one can still find on try the Mitsubishi i-MIEV, based on a kei-car from Japan and entirely suitable for hauling four American Giants. There are many examples, just not solid in the US.

To be fair, that is a US-centric view. GM makes excellent small cars, none of which are really suitable for the US markets. Chevrolet Onix, for example, is highly successful and well suited for purpose. Of course it was not US designed, but was designed in Brazil. Numerous successful GM cars were designed in Korea, others in China. It remains to be seen how successful any of those good GM designers and builders can adapt well to BEV's.

It does get old trying to convince US based people that giant behemoths such as Model 3 are being successful despite their fat and long physiques not because of those. Those who have harsh words for GM and Ford need to understand they're not so hampered in countries that design and build their own market vehicles.

Despite all the people who think otherwise Tesla is soon to enter those markets with the 'Model 2' and will gradually add others as battery supplies and factory development provide capacity. There are markets, high volume ones, where the Toyota Corolla is positioned as a luxury car. It looks like the US ones but is better fitted and more upscale.

In short, Tesla is NOT US centric, just look at sales volume, the US is no longer dominant in Tesla sales despite the lack of appropriately smaller vehicles. Once again, these are NOT necessarily cheaper, higher priced variants are always offered and are quite popular. For all those US people who canto understand that plus search for Hot Hatch to see samples.

For GM specific learning one need go no further than the Wiki:

Many of us post these things frequently but many others of us cannot believe the reality. The land of F150 and Model Y as a compact may never understand space constraints. BTW small does not mean constricted interior space. If one can still find on try the Mitsubishi i-MIEV, based on a kei-car from Japan and entirely suitable for hauling four American Giants. There are many examples, just not solid in the US.
I'm aware GM has had some success in Europe and Asia but the small cars they sell in the US are historically junk unless they are designed and imported from Asia (mostly Korea).

Reactions: saniflash and unk45
Beyond Meat BYND has been on a run for a week now after being pushed down for months through a class action law suit (nothing burger).
I've tried the product and definitely see what you did there.

On a futuristic and speculative Tesla note, you know how there's been speculation about how exactly Robotaxis on the Tesla network would go about recharging throughout the day? There's been discussion of snake chargers and the recent acquisition of that inductive charging company. Has anybody thought about this being an early and very simple use case for Optimus? Just ride around in the drivers seat (or be stationed at superchargers) and plug in cars when needed. Seems like among the universe of menial jobs that Optimus might initially partake, something along these lines might be among the easiest to "learn".