Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The amount of articles and social media posts on the "tanking S/X values" is why I brought this up, from an investor perspective. It's completely taken over any Highland news. I'm not just complaining to complain, but I do appreciate your humor.
Yup completely overtaken the Highland news at this point. Why Tesla couldn’t have just waited a few days for the S/X cuts is beyond me 🙄

Btw 250/share will be broken today for sure and we’re likely headed down to the 220-230 area again until we get a Cybertruck delivery announcement. Once again the overwhelming narrative is margin pressure. What a moronic move by Tesla to overshadow a new product that’s a price hike

Last edited:
Hoping we hear a bit more about the Model 3 refresh availability in the U.S. soon. A "2024" delivery has the potential to crater 2023 sales, but my bigger (albeit temporary) concern involves the impact to Model Y sales. Now that the cat is out of the bag on the Model 3, folks may look at the features added to the 3 and decide to "wait" for the new Model Y to get those same features.

The 3 refresh changes were all rumors, but for the Y, people can look at exactly what the 3 got and decide if that is worth the wait if applicable to the Y (i.e. ultra red, front camera, "sportier look", etc.)

Conversely, it might be that some of the 3 refresh items were really just closing the gap on what the Y already had...like the more comfortable suspension (introduced for 2023 on Y). Might be worth going down that list of "3 refresh items" to see what folks might clamor for on the Y.

The fact that the media are still pimping this made-up-nonsense about a glass house, but not reporting a big update on one of the most popular EVs on earth tells you everything you need to know about the media, and wall st. They are DESPERATE to keep in the good books of the corrupt muppets who run the legacy ICE companies and oil companies. Don't expect ANY impartial reporting by these clowns.
Eventually the truth will become overwhelming. The model 3 was already an extremely competitive car, being made in true mass production numbers. It just got better, and likely easier/quicker/cheaper to build.
Its hard to believe the BS on the internet about Tesla when you find out that half a dozen people on your street now drive one.

Wall st will do its usual nonsense today, and maybe Monday, but they cant hide from the facts forever. This is a BAD day for GM, VW, Ford and Toyota.
Rob from Tesla Daily podcast has a great breakdown of Highland Model 3 and all the new features, one of them being a front-bumper mounted camera since they've done away with USS. Thought you'd like to know, you'll see it at about 28 min 30 second in this video if you're interested.

Rob from Tesla Daily podcast has a great breakdown of Highland Model 3 and all the new features, one of them being a front-bumper mounted camera since they've done away with USS. Thought you'd like to know, you'll see it at about 28 min 30 second in this video if you're interested.
In the Carwow video there was no front bumper camera.

... if you buy anything in a bubble and keep it after bubble bursts you will endure some pain ... in this case a lot of pain ... prices reflected reality at the time ...

these angry people need to get over it 🥱 i love people wining on the internet

Removing the reference to cars, to honor the wisdom of this even out of context, for many things beyond physical material items.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
I am glad I made money with TSLA because buying Tesla cars have been money down the drain. It has to be worse artificial depreciation curve of any car.
Luckily for you the many much worse ones apparently you’ve not experienced:

Tesla cars still find buyers. those of us who have had Teslas for a long time remember buyers paying above original price. I remember Honda Accord in 1976 when I took delivery one day and sold the car later the same day for a 25% gain, and did thebsamenwith the original Earls Court display Morgan +8. Such phenomena do exist but are ephemeral. Still they become accepted lore.

All of us Tesla owners need to be responsible adults. Resale value is a moveable feast from the vagaries of many independent factors.

Buying a new car is never, ever a perfectly rational choice.

Holders of TSLA should understand volatility.

So Model X LR with tow package, ultra red, $72,500.....this should sell like crazy. By the same token, MS LR, ultra red for $67,500 woops no tax credit on S. wow. I wish I were in the market for a nice new car haha.

Take another $1000 off if you can refer yourself or get a referral. I would prefer the 6 seater but the 5 seater price is very tempting. Not sure if I should wait until the Cybertruck to replace my wife's Telluride or get the 5 seater X now. The X would fit a lot easier in my garage and may be more family friendly with the FWD (although I have zero experience with them) but the Cybertruck is way more badass.

Yup completely overtaken the Highland news at this point. Why Tesla couldn’t have just waited a few days for the S/X cuts is beyond me 🙄
IMHO, the reasoning might simply be to intentionally overtake the Highland news here in the US.
* Where Highland is available, have it be the news - "Come see the shiny new Highland cars available to buy!"
* Where Highland isn't available, such as in the US, have the others be the news - "Come see the shiny new price on the S/X!"

Not a perfect reasoning, to be sure, but likely far better than allowing a vacuum to exist, where all the news in the US would be "Highland updates are great but they're not available for you"...

Regardless of the justifications, to sell more cars, because the parts shortage, etc...no other manufacturer is cutting the MSRP of a car 40K after a year. That creates distrust from a buyers perspective. I'm not upset personally, but I think the anger is warranted and appears pretty wide spread. It also contributes to FUD from active Tesla haters. "So funny their car values are dropping like flies, POS"...These aren't manufactured complaints...the world doesn't operate in a vacuum where people are assessing the values who artificially raised and then sink like a rock. People own these vehicles and their value from normal depreciation and Tesla's price reduction are plummeting. The "cars aren't meant to be investments" doesn't play to these people when you compare every other manufacturer in the world and how they handled a similar situation.

Brand loyalty and trust takes a hit with things like this. Again, it's not negatively impacting me, but I understand their qualms. They are rational.
Me think the average person who has $120k to plow into a car should have basic knowledge of how interest rates vs asset prices and supplies & demand work. Used car dealerships used to send me post cards offering $25k for my 120k miles SUV but now they've stopped coming. Should I sue?

So the media bad mouthing everything Tesla does before breakfast. Sounds like Friday to me.

….no other manufacturer is cutting the MSRP of a car 40K after a year…I think the anger is warranted and appears pretty wide spread…The "cars aren't meant to be investments" doesn't play to these people when you compare every other manufacturer in the world and how they handled a similar situation.
Here is how another manufacturer handled a similar situation:

1693579472192.gif

There was more to come. By 1924, the price of a Model T was $240, and Ford’s share of the auto market had risen from 9 percent in 1908 to 61 percent in 1921.

This will come as a shock to you: Tesla is busy managing their business, not the stock price. How many times to people need to be told that Elon does not care about gambling losses in the Options market.

S/X Std Rge now appears to be a test case, pricing was introduced exactly 2 weeks ago. Sound familiar? It should. Elon told us they don't change prices everyday, but they review sales weekly and will make a change after 2 weeks if an adjustment is needed. Obviously, the lower price on the Std Rge models convinced them that they could unlock serious volume by moving the price.

So they did.

Regardless of the justifications, to sell more cars, because the parts shortage, etc...no other manufacturer is cutting the MSRP of a car 40K after a year. That creates distrust from a buyers perspective. I'm not upset personally, but I think the anger is warranted and appears pretty wide spread. It also contributes to FUD from active Tesla haters. "So funny their car values are dropping like flies, POS"...These aren't manufactured complaints...the world doesn't operate in a vacuum where people are assessing the values who artificially raised and then sink like a rock. People own these vehicles and their value from normal depreciation and Tesla's price reduction are plummeting. The "cars aren't meant to be investments" doesn't play to these people when you compare every other manufacturer in the world and how they handled a similar situation.

Brand loyalty and trust takes a hit with things like this. Again, it's not negatively impacting me, but I understand their qualms. They are rational.
What is the alternative to market based pricing? Sell too cheaply and then sit on unsold inventory? There is no better way than to adjust price up and down according to market conditions. I'm guessing the CT will be the same: expensive until supply catches up with demand and then prices come way down. Same will be true of the Highland.

I've been following the Rolex market the last few years - trying to replace my 50 year old worn out GMT. Really hurt the brand IMO in that people were being forced to buy watches in the gray market instead of just adjusting the prices up and down at the authorized dealers.

Last edited:
The model 3 was already an extremely competitive car, being made in true mass production numbers. It just got better, and likely easier/quicker/cheaper to build.
I’m confused. According to you, a big mistake was made with new Model 3 that people are going to hate thusly should translate into poor sales of it moving forward. No? Or is this mistake not actually that big a deal except to you and a handful of people?

Why should we repeat the litany of real resale disasters like original BMW 745/750, Buick Reatta, Edsel, SAAB, and so on, like any MaseratI and countless more. Here we’re bleating overdisclosed price changes instead of secret dealer rebates, undisclosed floor plan and sales subvention. Because Tesla discloses we act all hurt.

So sad. Better you buy your next car from a dealer so you can pretend you’re not being shafTed.