Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will come as a shock to you: Tesla is busy managing their business, not the stock price. How many times to people need to be told that Elon does not care about gambling losses in the Options market.

S/X Std Rge now appears to be a test case, pricing was introduced exactly 2 weeks ago. Sound familiar? It should. Elon told us they don't change prices everyday, but they review sales weekly and will make a change after 2 weeks if an adjustment is needed. Obviously, the lower price on the Std Rge models convinced them that they could unlock serious volume by moving the price.

So they did.
It’s a moronic decision to overshadow your own product launch. Stop trying to paint anyone that thinks Tesla does dumb decisions as someone gambling on the options market.

It’s like one has to put a disclosure “I have not participated in options in the 1 month leading up to this post of calling out Tesla and stand to make no financial gain from the stock being over X price by end of day on X day” Dear lord this place sometimes

Not below pre-covid prices, not even the lowest price it's ever been.

10/13/20$71,990
10/14/20$69,420
01/26/21$69,420
01/27/21$79,990

08/31/23$74,990

View attachment 970101
This is the lowest price the refresh has been, even before launch. You are comparing it to a discounted MS when the refresh was already known to be coming.

Just positing a thought...

It seems quite likely to me that actual retail pricing for many other vehicles did follow a curve similar to Tesla prices over the last 36 months. Potentially a very similar curve. The key differences are:
A) The actual retail price changes for dealer-sold vehicles are far more opaque to most people, so there is no announcement when the average actual price paid for a given vehicle goes up and down by large amounts. These can be purely driven by the dealer...or these changes can be driven by the manufacturer based on what dealer-incentives are being offered behind the paperwork that retail car buyers see and sign.
B) Most of us here are hyper-focused on tracking the pricing changes of the one brand of vehicle which drew us to this site, whereas for most people even when they buy a vehicle they no longer care if the price greatly changes (at least, not for several years when they consider buying a vehicle again)...and that one brand of vehicle actually shows us the numbers publicly.

So they debut a new 3 in China for ASEAN and European consumption but nothing on the US Tesla page. Yet every major tech blog, Auto car mag, internet site and Youtuber is talking about it. While the majority of Tesla buyers are not tuned into the latest tech, this will be interesting test to see how many people care or not care to have the latest 3.

Yup completely overtaken the Highland news at this point. Why Tesla couldn’t have just waited a few days for the S/X cuts is beyond me 🙄

Btw 250/share will be broken today for sure and we’re likely headed down to the 220-230 area again until we get a Cybertruck delivery announcement. Once again the overwhelming narrative is margin pressure. What a moronic move by Tesla to overshadow a new product that’s a price hike
If Tesla had waited a week to reduce S/X prices, the media narrative then would have been, "Tesla lowers prices in response to failing to bring model 3 refresh to USA"

The media has never been fair to Tesla. They aren't going to be fair to Tesla. It boggles my mind how many people here still think there is fairness or honor in media. Even more stunned to find out there are still people giving money to the WSJ rag.

I understand it's to sell more cars,

Maybe a review of the Mission Statement is in order. The goal isn't specifically "to sell more cars" it is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

Plus, there's that double top secret Master Plan to reduce prices as production increases that was made public in 2016 or so. It might be worth a revisit as well. It isn't as if the consistent reduction of prices wasn't made public and has always been baked into any Tesla purchase, for those who take the time to "understand" the long-term intentions of Tesla.

I stopped making decisions for car purchase and ownership based upon expectation of resale value many decades ago. Once I came to the realization that all but a scarce few cars are merely an appliance, rather than an investment. They wear out and must eventually be replaced.

Those that are bought as an investment aren't going to be driven, in order to enhance their value.

So, for anyone who hasn't yet purchased a Tesla, here's the news flash.

TESLA DECLARES IN 2016 THAT THE PRICES OF THEIR CARS WILL BE REDUCED OVER TIME AS A MATTER OF POLICY

...which should lead directly to a clear expectation that this policy will affect the resale value.

Vehicles have always depreciated. Most (all?) ICE vehicles will depreciate at a higher rate than do Tesla vehicles. Any concerns regarding brand trust and loyalty should be measured against the alternatives. I expect that even with the reduction in resale values that these lower new car prices cause Tesla vehicles might still hold their value better than nearly every other brand at the same purchase price and age.

Last edited:
This is the lowest price the refresh has been, even before launch. You are comparing it to a discounted MS when the refresh was already known to be coming.
Moving that goalpost then. Previously you said below pre-covid prices (which is an error, misrepresentation, or lie), now it's ignore the precovid prices because this is a refresh and it's not a fair comparison.

Why don't you slow down and say what you mean the first time?

1693580262131.png

Not below pre-covid prices.

10/13/20$71,990
10/14/20$69,420
01/26/21$69,420
01/27/21$79,990

08/31/23$74,990

It’s a moronic decision to overshadow your own product launch.
Moronic in the eyes of who, exactly? No really, who is the class of people you suppose would use the actual word "moronic"? Hyperbole awaits, seize your fate.

Stop trying to paint anyone that thinks Tesla does dumb decisions as someone gambling on the options market.
Not anyone, specialize in the repeat offenders.

Dude, seriously, if you've lost confidence in management, sell your stock. Else, pull up your pull-ups and act like an adult. This is a very immature look, especially for a self-proclaimed "long-term" investor. Right now, your balling-your-eyes-out publicly is exactly what shortzes are trying to achieve. You're being played.

Hope you're feeling better tomorrow, you should take the day off. I give you permission to not be so hard on yourself. In fact, take the whole weekend. HTH.

Take another $1000 off if you can refer yourself or get a referral. I would prefer the 6 seater but the 5 seater price is very tempting. Not sure if I should wait until the Cybertruck to replace my wife's Telluride or get the 5 seater X now. The X would fit a lot easier in my garage and may be more family friendly with the FWD (although I have zero experience with them) but the Cybertruck is way more badass.
Don’t see why CT needs to be garaged.

Yup completely overtaken the Highland news at this point. Why Tesla couldn’t have just waited a few days for the S/X cuts is beyond me 🙄

Btw 250/share will be broken today for sure and we’re likely headed down to the 220-230 area again until we get a Cybertruck delivery announcement. Once again the overwhelming narrative is margin pressure. What a moronic move by Tesla to overshadow a new product that’s a price hike
What good is a Cybertruck delivery announcement going to do for the SP? It is neither a boost to short term delivery nor margin. Have we not learned anything from expecting faux "catalysts" to pump the SP?

Everything that happened today I predicted on Tuesday. The stock just can't go up forever after running $50 in 2 weeks. Don't blame Tesla for it.
It may go to 260-262 but a retest of 242 is likely before going any higher.

Last edited:
What a moronic move by Tesla to overshadow a new product that’s a price hike
Actually it’s moronic to think Tesla has ever cared or will care about your stock position yesterday, today or tomorrow.

It’s moronic to have followed the company all this time and still not understand how it operates.

It’s moronic to realize that the new 3 isn’t available for at least another month and in the meantime Tesla has to sell other vehicles to continue its mission.

It’s moronic to micro-analyze every single move made by Tesla, when you only have a small piece of all the information that drives the company to their decisions, and then get all judgy, emotional, sanctimonious et al thinking your uninformed opinion carries weight or you know better.

People never fail to continuously prove why we’re all up a creek without a paddle.

Maybe a review of the Mission Statement is in order. The goal isn't specifically "to sell more cars" it is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

Plus, there's that double top secret Master Plan to reduce prices as production increases that was made public in 2016 or so. It might be worth a revisit as well. It isn't as if the consistent reduction of prices wasn't made public and has always been baked into any Tesla purchase, for those who take the time to "understand" the long-term intentions of Tesla.

I stopped making decisions for car purchase and ownership based upon expectation of resale value many decades ago. Once I came to the realization that all but a scarce few cars are merely an appliance, rather than an investment. They wear out and must eventually be replaced.

Those that are bought as an investment aren't going to be driven in order to enhance their value.

So, for anyone who hasn't yet purchased a Tesla, here's the news flash.

TESLA DECLARES IN 2016 THAT THE PRICES OF THEIR CARS WILL BE REDUCED OVER TIME AS A MATTER OF POLICY

...which should lead directly to a clear expectation that this policy will affect the resale value.

Vehicles have always depreciated. Most (all?) ICE vehicles will depreciate at a higher rate than do Tesla vehicles. Any concerns regarding brand trust and loyalty should be measured against the alternatives. I expect that even with the reduction in resale values that these lower new car prices cause, Tesla vehicles might still hold their value better than nearly every other brand at the same purchase price and age.

Nominated for "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit". Thank-you.

Please, point out the disloyal customers, lacking brand loyalty, among car crash survivors. Do they wish that they had waited just 8 more months to buy the world's safest car?

Tesla Plunges Over Cliff at Devils Slide, 4 Rescued | NBC News (Jan 03, 2023)

Seriously, I could find 100 news stories from 2023 alone where people (and the Police) said that Tesla saved their lives, and they'd be dead if they were in any other brand of car.

Tesla’s #1 one priority...That should be yours as well | BestInTESLA (Oct 07, 2022)

But just think of how much MONEY they could have left to their survivors...

/S
This, 100%. Within days of confirmation that my 2017 Model X would be considered a total loss by the insurance company and I would never drive it again, I was instead driving a new 2023 Model X. Pricing doesn't matter after being able to walk away safely.

Didn't you hear about the $5K discounts on inventory Models 3 in Canada and the USA? Did you expect an email from Corporate? When inventory is sold out, they'll Obsorne hardly... :p

THIS^^^^^^

The price of the Highland M3 will need to remain above the price of the M3s in inventory until they have sold.

Then, and only then, can the cost savings be reflected in the asking price for the Refreshed M3.

Lol man this place and the usual suspects. Already got the standard response lines

- pull up your big boy bridges
- go ahead and sell your position
- you don’t understand the mission

Please, get off your high horses. Everyone in this forum has a right to their voice and some of us have been investors just as long as you guys have. As usual, anytime someone calls out Tesla for its mess ups, they’ve suddenly forgot the mission, is fixated on short term gains, or forgotten about Tesla’s overarching goal and method for growth.

Tesla’s decision to overshadow their own product launch is stupid, dumb, and moronic.