Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow did I get lucky.

I ordered an S 4 days ago and finished the forms and trade-in appraisal by yesterday. I would have finalized yesterday had Tesla been ready. Made the new discount be cause of their delayed response by 1 day!!!

‘The car I was getting had a $5500 discount, but that’s way more than made up with the new price, so I’m ONLY saving ~$10k:).

Plus I got the resale quote before the price drop. Although it was pretty poor:
2022 Model S Red with white interior 7k miles and the trade-in offer was only $57k.

Off to Vegas to invest that $10k and see if my luck holds:)
Trade in was only $57k on a one year old MS, MC Red over white, with 7k miles?!?

Tesla will likely sell it on their used site for, what, $70k?

Tesla kills us with such low trade-in values. What were Carmax, Zoom, etc. offering for your 2022 MS?

Pretty good video actually. And the car really does seem extremely quiet.

I found it amusing at the 7:00 mark the reviewer states as fact “electric vehicles are not as good for towing as diesel powered vehicles”.

If range is your only metric, sure. But I prefer performance and efficiency as my priority metrics, and by my calculations EV has been far superior for some time already. Especially for short and medium trips with elevation change (due to regen braking)

There is still so much work to do informing the public (even automotive experts) about the benefits of EV.

My guess it is relates to a new wiring harness and 48V parts.

If there are any range gains beyond aero, they might come from this area.

I think most of the body is the same, battery and motors are the same, Some of the interior elements like seats may also be lighter.

However, my guess could be wrong....
New technology motors were mentioned by Tesla a while back. Seemed to mostly relate to reduced use of rare earths and conflict metals but who knows whether there were efficiency gains too?

Good article on how Tesla is winning the highest number of federal grants for the charging network. Some good quotes on how Tesla is 20-70% lower in cost. Sorry behind a paywall.

This ant sees the "cratering" of the OLD (haha) Model 3 sales price as a prime factor in so many good things for all you investors. The Highland 3 will be voraciously bought up by current Model 3 owners because they can. And they love their "old" tesla. The used teslas will be at such a price that even an ant will look to buy one...and a whole new sector of the population will get the information first hand. And be advocates to the rest of the segment... a new and bigger echo chamber so to speak.

I think the chances are good Highland starts in Austin for the US. That way they could keep the Fremont M3 line running while setting up for Highland in Texas. Plus it would be easier to build the Highland line in Austin due to the factory allowing a more refined layout compared to the inefficient footrprint of the Fremont factory.

Start Highland in Austin, then retool Fremont to build the new compact car just like Mexico will be building!

Fremont will never produce the Model 2. The entire point of the Model 2 is low cost. Fremont is as expensive as things get for Tesla. Inefficient legacy layout, and Bay Area labor prices.

There was a lot of animosity posted here yesterday, and for that i just wanted to leave this right here, courtesy of X:

1693669309510.png

Pretty good video actually. And the car really does seem extremely quiet.

I found it amusing at the 7:00 mark the reviewer states as fact “electric vehicles are not as good for towing as diesel powered vehicles”.

If range is your only metric, sure. But I prefer performance and efficiency as my priority metrics, and by my calculations EV has been far superior for some time already. Especially for short and medium trips with elevation change (due to regen braking)

There is still so much work to do informing the public (even automotive experts) about the benefits of EV.
Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 11.37.05 AM.png

Not liking the reflections from the LED bar onto the windshield.

There was a lot of animosity posted here yesterday, and for that i just wanted to leave this right here, courtesy of X:

View attachment 970477
i have to disagree as I like the original Model 3 look better, which is good since I own one and am not in a place to change that yet.
For me the new one looks like it's trying too hard ala some Japanese and Chinese designs. Probably not a popular opinion here.
(Overall, more improvements than I had anticipated and impressed with it nonetheless! Investor me=pleased!)

These price drops, does that even work?!?

I just scheduled a Model S Plaid test drive for tomorrow.

Loved it, ordered it.

Model S Plaid, Ultra Red, cream interior, 21 inch, yoke. After half an hour of driving I already liked the yoke more than my traditional steering wheel.

The sales rep in the showroom said they already sold a lot of Plaids and LRs after the price drop.

Loved it, ordered it.

Model S Plaid, Ultra Red, cream interior, 21 inch, yoke. After half an hour of driving I already liked the yoke more than my traditional steering wheel.

The sales rep in the showroom said they already sold a lot of Plaids and LRs after the price drop.
Drop the yoke and go with the steering wheel--it's far safer and practical for anywhere cars need to turn, especially in roundabouts or when parallel parking . . . .

The "boy racer" yoke is an Elon fad that will soon fade in desire.

I’ll keep correcting wrong nomenclature. Residual value is a contractual remaining amount after lease down payment and
principal payments have been deducted. NOTHING to do wIth resale value which is actual market value when the vehicle is sold.
Both are important. They are NOT THE SAME!

Tesla historically has not had resale values lower than residual values. Notably, these quit allowing lessees to buy a lease end at Residual Value. That may change, but thus far it’s been profitable for Tesla.

I am well aware of what Residual is. Your post was a list of the cars with residual values so I am still confused.

1693657145064.png

It doesn't matter how you put it; depreciation, residual value, trade-in value, auction value, private or dealer resale value, Tesla is at the bottom of the list. I would buy one right now.

Last edited: