Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any ideas on if the language change on FSD indicates a deferred revenue accounting claim for the currently held FSD funds?

Possibly a one-time, well-timed, injection of funds into Q3 to counterbalance the "factory shutdowns" Elon warned about.

It can be so disappointing when factory shutdowns slightly lower the numbers on ANOTHER RECORD QUARTER. :cool:

Pretty sure the legacy OEMs can only dream about having problems like this to contend with.

All the statistics I've seen, and the majority of the anecdotal evidence, suggests that PHEV are seldom plugged in. Clearly there are some exceptions, but personally I think it is overdue to stop giving the benefit of the doubt. Many governments have come to the same conclusion and tapered/ended PHEV benefits and focussed them to BEVs.

Have you seen different statistics ?

I wonder if there have been any studies that track PHEV charging frequency and correlate with gas prices?

I'd imagine that numbers change when gas prices go up 50%.

That having been said, I do feel that PHEV's days are numbered obviously, and the sooner the better.

[CUE: debate over if trains or individual robocars are the best mass transit solution...]
Inner city to city? 100% trains. I haven't needed a car in 15+ years, and wouldn't trade my bikes/trains for a car even if it had FSD v44.5.

Every time I accept a ride with friends (to make them happy), I end up losing my time in traffic. PS: I know its a privilege (I live in Paris, France) but it's a way of life too and wouldn't be that difficult to rebuild countries designed for people (instead of cars)

NB: markets are closed today right?

Statistics don’t say otherwise for at least company vehicles. For personal use, no idea. Nobody that I recall has posted a link to any valid source.

It doesn't matter. The stats show that "most people don't plug in" PHEV is not true.

Even the misreported ICCT report doesn't say that most people don't plug in, it says of electric miles that "Specifically, the analysis finds that real-world electric drive share may be 26%–56% lower ... than assumed within EPA’s labeling program for light duty vehicles."

How people jump from 26%-56% lower to "most people don't plug in" is just by making *sugar* up.

Statistics don’t say otherwise for at least company vehicles. For personal use, no idea. Nobody that I recall has posted a link to any valid source.
It doesn't matter. The stats show that "most people don't plug in" PHEV is not true.

Even the misreported ICCT report doesn't say that most people don't plug in, it says of electric miles that "Specifically, the analysis finds that real-world electric drive share may be 26%–56% lower ... than assumed within EPA’s labeling program for light duty vehicles."

How people jump from 26%-56% lower to "most people don't plug in" is just by making *sugar* up.

Wow, you did a great job of including a link which would help counter the statement you quoted, which is bolded above, by @Krugerrand.

Why is it that some people with strong convictions avoid providing examples of the data to support their argument?

This is what leads to these back and forth, he said / she said discussions where no resolution can be determined without supporting data being shown.

Wow, you did a great job of including a link which would help counter the statement you quoted, which is bolded above, by @Krugerrand.

Why is it that some people with strong convictions avoid providing examples of the data to support their argument?

This is what leads to these back and forth, he said / she said discussions where no resolution can be determined without supporting data being shown.
The last time he provided links I checked them. None of them corroborated his claims. It's a meaningless argument and a waste of time even for a weekend topic. Hopefully the mods help to end this trolling...

So in the past we have discussed the JPR007 valley of death graphic.

1693844929504.jpeg

we've covered multiple issues with it. My first step at improving it was to fact check the historical data. I found widely varying numbers (and could find some that matched) but settled on using Cars from 2022 statistics | www.oica.net and prior years

1693845277696.png

The peak is in the same year (2017) but the scale is smaller because I excluded commercial vehicles. I'm not sure what OICA considers a commercial vehicle so that might have to be revisited.

I didn't bother fact checking the EV production numbers. I might revisit that also.

This is a first attempt at a new "valley of death" chart based on the OICA numbers. I've got what are likely very poor guesses for 2023 to 2030. I kept the 2025 as the low production year like JPR007 had it and just fudged the numbers until the curve looked interesting.

But if you would like to critique, I'll make it prettier once we settle on content.

1693845592253.png

Completely non-tech older neighbor with PHEV told me that he has only bought a half tank of gas in 6 months. Electric for most everything.

A counter-example: my neighbour has a hybrid Porsche, and I’ve only seen it charging when it was brand new because he was trying out his charger. That’s a couple of years ago.
Conclusion: we need statistics, not anecdotes.

So in the past we have discussed the JPR007 valley of death graphic.

we've covered multiple issues with it. My first step at improving it was to fact check the historical data. I found widely varying numbers (and could find some that matched) but settled on using Cars from 2022 statistics | www.oica.net and prior years

The peak is in the same year (2017) but the scale is smaller because I excluded commercial vehicles. I'm not sure what OICA considers a commercial vehicle so that might have to be revisited.

I didn't bother fact checking the EV production numbers. I might revisit that also.

This is a first attempt at a new "valley of death" chart based on the OICA numbers. I've got what are likely very poor guesses for 2023 to 2030. I kept the 2025 as the low production year like JPR007 had it and just fudged the numbers until the curve looked interesting.

But if you would like to critique, I'll make it prettier once we settle on content.

Do you realize how much time you could have saved if you had just told us your gut feeling?

Taking time to put together a well thought out presentation to support the post really is not in the spirit of TMC. ;)

Now, go stand in a corner for a ten minute time out and think about what you have done. 🥺

/s

Last edited:
I'm beginning to see why the UAW is in an uproar with GM, Ford, and Stellantis.
Do those OEMs provide free train service for employees to get to work like Tesla does?