Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LFG (says Elon):

East-bound and down, loaded-up and truckin'!Detroit, here we come! LFG!

F5h_w62acAAzj1k

Semi S3XY CT

Cheers!

Yeah, Texas sure hates renewables. :rolleyes:

Oh, wait, they lead the nation 🤔...

As for me, I am embarrassed for those people who keep posting their personal opinions as if they are fact. 🤷‍♂️
But that ignores the fact that Texas uses the most energy of any US state by a lot:

Back in the mid-'80s, I owned an '81 Audi 5000S. One of the nuances of that car was the drivers floor mat would gradually slide forward enough that it would start to jam the gas pedal. Solution? Reach down, pull the mat back, and it would be good again for a few more weeks/months. When the 60 Minutes hit piece came out, I thought "I bet it was just someones floor mat sliding forward...".

These days many cars, including Tesla, have floor mats that securely snap into the floor of the car. So it will never be an issue.

Small world! I had that car too, except the diesel 5-speed version. Car was such a troll, 0-60 in like 25s.

Now, if only the Roadster was on that....

I'm more interested to know if this is indeed the load of cars headed to Detroit for the International Auto show which starts on Wed, Sep 13th and runs until Sun, Sep 24th.

If this Tesla Semi pulls off I-80 into a Supercharger site to charge up, that entire area is going to become a petting zoo! Priceless marketing. I love a PARADE! :D

I-80.png

Cheers to the SEXY cars!

Last edited:
I'm more interested to know if this is indeed the load of cars headed to Detroit for the International Auto show which starts on Wed, Sep 13th until Sun, Sep 24th.

If this Tesla Semi pulls off I-80 into a Supercharger site to charge up, that entire area is going to become a petting zoo! Priceless marketing. I love a PARADE! :D

View attachment 972169

Cheers to the SEXY cars!
In Detroit they will be able to "C" S3XY...

Small world! I had that car too, except the diesel 5-speed version. Car was such a troll, 0-60 in like 25s.

Mine had the 5-cyl gas engine w/auto transmission. My first fuel injected car in an era when almost all cars had smog-choked carb engines. When the 60 Minutes hit piece came out, and Audi sales crashed, I figured I could probably get a deal on a new one. Headed over to my local Porsche+Audi dealer, and eventually got steered into a Porsche - which I still own.

Anyway... Very cool photo of the Semi hauling all the others. They should have included an ATV in the back of the Cybertruck, and a Roadster (either original or prototype V2) so that it would be a full S3XY CARS. Is it really headed for Detroit?

There was a rumor circulating in the Tesla blogosphere a few months back that Tesla might be setting up a Model 3 assemblyline inside the existing Giga Texas factory. This never made sense, since Model 3 is a sedan and this would be building out surplus capacity vs. its long-term demand (think what Model 2 will do to demand).

It makes much more sense that Tesla has been setting up a trial "unboxed" assemblyline at Giga Austin over the Summer, and that is the prototype for the production lines that will be built at Gigas Mexico, Shanghai, and Berlin. Tesla is even now filing planning permits with German authorities for the Giga Berlin expansion, and as we know, China is FAST (I'd expect just 1 year from pencils down to cars out). Giga Mexico remains the wildcard, if local authorities are slow-rolling permits, they'll just get bypassed (then they can watch from the outside as Tesla unboxes Gigafactories around the world). :D

Cheers!
Damn, it didn't take long for me to be proven wrong on Mexico.

What I really meant was the Gen3 car is still a top priority, and the only fast way to increase production volumes is to do it fast.

For Mexico I did think that Tom, Lars and Drew might have needed to move to Mexico for 6 months or more, and it would have been harder for Elon to be involved.

Doing Gen3 at Austin first makes a lot of sense in part because 4680 cell production is already present and more lines at Austin is probably easier to do than a new factory.

If they are doing Gen3 within the existing Austin factory footprint, I still think construction in Mexico might start this year, perhaps later in the year. The Mexican winter seems like the ideal time to do construction. Getting most of the factory built before installing any equipment seems like a more efficient way to operate. Some equipment needs to be moved inside, before the factory is sealed up, but it is easy to do that. It is also possible to rework construction which they often end up doing anyway.

If some Mexican engineers can be trained at Austin, Tom and a team of US, Chinese and Mexican engineers can probably do most of what is needed for Giga Mexico, Lars and Drew would not need the same level of commitment, and could work on other projects.

For the slower build cadence, the Mexican engineers can visit Austin regularly, including via video link.

What I really meant was the Gen3 car is still a top priority, and the only fast way to increase production volumes is to do it fast.

For Mexico I did think that Tom, Lars and Drew might have needed to move to Mexico for 6 months or more, and it would have been harder for Elon to be involved.

Doing Gen3 at Austin first makes a lot of sense in part because 4680 cell production is already present and more lines at Austin is probably easier to do than a new factory.

If they are doing Gen3 within the existing Austin factory footprint, I still think construction in Mexico might start this year, perhaps later in the year. The Mexican winter seems like the ideal time to do construction. Getting most of the factory built before installing any equipment seems like a more efficient way to operate. Some equipment needs to be moved inside, before the factory is sealed up, but it is easy to do that. It is also possible to rework construction which they often end up doing anyway.

If some Mexican engineers can be trained at Austin, Tom and a team of US, Chinese and Mexican engineers can probably do most of what is needed for Giga Mexico, Lars and Drew would not need the same level of commitment, and could work on other projects.

For the slower build cadence, the Mexican engineers can visit Austin regularly, including via video link.
They are doing the right thing by starting the low cost car in Austin even if they keep it relatively low volume. A few high level people is not enough as you need a really deep knowledgeable team in operations to support the launch of a new vehicle with new processes.

I spent most of my career launching/moving production around the world and one of the golden rules was really consider the changes in People, Process and Product. Try to never change more than one at a time. This is why Tesla has launched known existing products in Berlin, Shanghai and Texas. They probably deviated the most with the changes to the Model Y in Texas but pretty sure this was calculated risk. Now that they have a solid team in Texas they can pull from them to support Cybertruck which is already high risk launch with a new product design and new processes.

Having new people, new product and new processes launch in Mexico would likely lead to lots of delays or high costs due to all the external support (likely from other Tesla factories) needed to get it off the ground.

But that ignores the fact that Texas uses the most energy of any US state by a lot:

People generally don’t know that refining oil into gasoline uses a lot of energy, as does its extraction, and then its transport. That’s why Texas uses so much energy. All that extra energy used for petroleum use dumps it own tons of pollution into the air.

Tesla isn't doing great on the RV performance - but the difference only seems to kick in after 2 years. Maybe it is EV cost decline curve causing this or something else. BMW sucks.
1694205313979.png
That's pretty bleak. IMO due to Tesla's price cuts, which they've had to do because of macro (demand / interest rates) and their commitment to continued ramping. Again, a decision driven by the mission, but not good for previous buyers/residuals...or RV performance charts!

People generally don’t know that refining oil into gasoline uses a lot of energy, as does its extraction, and then its transport. That’s why Texas uses so much energy. All that extra energy used for petroleum use dumps it own tons of pollution into the air.
Crypto mining is burning a ton of juice....so much so that Ercot here in Texas works with at least one of the big miners to ramp down their mining when the grid is taxed...oh yeah, the miners get paid to do it!
Crypto Mining is now estimated to use 4% of the Texas' grid's power!

Crypto mining is burning a ton of juice....so much so that Ercot here in Texas works with at least one of the big miners to ramp down their mining when the grid is taxed...oh yeah, the miners get paid to do it!
Crypto Mining is now estimated to use 4% of the Texas' grid's power!
What an unnecessary production of pollution....

Back in the mid-'80s, I owned an '81 Audi 5000S. One of the nuances of that car was the drivers floor mat would gradually slide forward enough that it would start to jam the gas pedal. Solution? Reach down, pull the mat back, and it would be good again for a few more weeks/months. When the 60 Minutes hit piece came out, I thought "I bet it was just someones floor mat sliding forward...".

These days many cars, including Tesla, have floor mats that securely snap into the floor of the car. So it will never be an issue.
An absolutely true story:

About two dozen years ago, one of my malamute bitches - so not so big as the dogs but still about 90 lbs/40kg - somehow, while I was driving the F-250 on a hard snowpacked Richardson Highway in early December, managed to worm her way past my accelerator foot and up under the brake & clutch pedals. True!

Oh, B*gg*r. I couldn't brake; couldn't shift. Reaching out w/right arm trying to get her out of there, truck veered off the road into a blessedly large "moose-view" margin and up against an alder thicket dense enough but low enough that it stopped us with neither injuries nor visible dents or even scratches. Ninety minutes of snowshoveling with a hubcap later, I was back on my way.

*Why did she do that? She never told me.

Well, we did get one small clue about Gen3 "unboxed" at Giga Texas on one of the recent Conference Calls. Someone asked if Made-in-Mexico cars would be sold in the U.S.A. and Elon answered 'No'. I think most folks here took that to mean than the compact car would not be sold in America, but now it seems much more likely that not only will it be sold here, but it'll be made here, and made here first! Ooh, that E's one cagey devil... ;)

Imma guess now that Giga Shanghai, Giga Berlin, and Giga Mexico will all come online shortly after the "unboxed" production process is developed at Giga Texas, possibly with Shanghai coming up next because "China Fast"... Mexico seems like it'll be an export hub, likely for S. America, Africa and others of its 50 Free-Trade partners. So no longer in the critical path for the "unboxed" revolution, it'll be business-as-usual w. Giga Mexico (substantially 'derisked').

In the mean time, I do expect that the 200-odd suppliers in Nuevo León which are spooling up now will continue their ramp, they'll just be sending parts to Austin instead of Monterrey. As I recall, this was the plan for Tesla Mexico when we first heard the announcement during the Master Plan Part 3 presentation, that operations in Mexico would be established first to make parts for Giga Texas, then later for it's own Gigafactory. Seems the plan has reverted to this, or perhaps we just have more clarity now.

Cheers to the Unboxers!

Last edited: