Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup- with bigger players moving to smaller process (and it'd be a much harder fight to get in on that capacity--- 10k wafers Tesla is talking about is VERY few relative to TSMCs order sizes.... Apple for example is ordering something on the order of 700,000 to north of 1,000,000 wafers a year on 3nm depending whose estimates you believe)- so if Tesla is finding performance at 7nm sufficient it makes sense to ramp into available capacity rather than fight with much bigger orders on a new process.

Yep, given setup times for lithography screens, etc. 10,000 wafers is like . . . one week of TSMC production.

Significant for Tesla, not so much for TSMC.

"America passed the EV ‘tipping point’ — but many buyers still want gas" article from WaPo.

(rant on)
If you have WaPo access, please do the Tesla/EV world a solid and go add some sane comments. Good Lord, the article quotes from a self-proclaimed environmental advocate that would buy EVs but "had no nearby charging infrastructure". I counted 12 chargers within 10 miles of their stated location, including one SC.
The article mentions all the major EV manufacturers in the US. You know, Volkswagen, BMW, Ford, and of course the leader, GM. Somehow the list seemed shorter than I expected. A little short for a Storm Trooper?

FFS, it's called Tesla and Google Maps, people! (or supercharge.info/map)
(rant off)
Not only that. She talks about just wanting to "fill up and go" from her rural home. Yeah, um, you're already filled up and ready to go with range that will easily take you to hundreds of charger locations if needed.

I don't get it. The Saudis are flush with cash. It makes sense to me to use that cash to build their own clean energy businesses in order to hold onto their energy dominance as their oil & gas business declines. Bringing in Tesla, while being good for tax revenue and some economic stimulus, is inviting a competitor to come and take business that could belong to them.

It takes a lot more than cash to build a business. Saudi Arabia has no auto supply chain. They have no history of building cars. They would be starting essentially from zero if they tried to go it alone.

Not only that. She talks about just wanting to "fill up and go" from her rural home. Yeah, um, you're already filled up and ready to go with range that will easily take you to hundreds of charger locations if needed.

After a recent conversation, I think many might not realize that it's like having a gas pump at your house.

Figured that after the Saudis failed to show up to court and back Elon in the "funding secured" trial that he would never have anything to do with them ever again.
Maybe... I think Elon makes his decisions on what will most benefit the mission.

Question to all, are there any instances where Elon allowed betrayal to trump what is best for the mission?

I think it is pretty much a given that the UAW is going to make another hard run at Tesla to unionize, after they secure contracts from the Big 3. This tweet makes it very clear they will employ lies and subterfuge to get the Tesla employees to unionize.
Gotta give it to him - it is super hard to make instant classic red herring.

Tesla Model 3 Becomes First-Ever EV To Crack Into Top 10 Leased Vehicles In America​

The only way leasing a Tesla makes sense is that its dirt cheap per month. Because at the end of the lease, you are giving away the equity back to Tesla. In this economy people are more interested in dirt cheap.