Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I think it is pretty much a given that the UAW is going to make another hard run at Tesla to unionize, after they secure contracts from the Big 3. This tweet makes it very clear they will employ lies and subterfuge to get the Tesla employees to unionize.
So, if we connect the dots, the plan is to get the UAW pay above that of the Tesla workers so they will be inclined to unionize to get the higher pay. They've got to get that done faster than they drive the Big 3 out of business.

I like popcorn.

So does anyone think Cybertruck delivery event will still occur before end of day on the 30th? Cant see it without an announcement.
I used to think it would be September 30th. But they're not giving enough time for buyers to travel to the location. BUT... if it's employees first, and they all work locally, they can all do it. Maybe one week's notice is all that's reasonably required for the media.

Maybe there will be no delivery event at all. Tesla is loathe to stoke demand at this point and would rather have test data from employee guinea-pigs than fanfare.

Maybe Tesla have to wait for government paperwork to complete before that stuff happens so they can't really schedule it until they have the go-ahead. (crash tests & other homologation, etc. stuff)

Maybe the "RC" labelling on vehicles is a way to allow early owner-employees to drive around and do normal things in their Cybertrucks... then the labels get peeled off after government hurdles are passed.

Maybe it simply isn't happening in Q3. Thus is an extremely important product for Tesla, and the renewable energy mission, and they want to get it right.

A whole lotta maybes and no real answers 🤣

Saudi investment story is "false", says Elon.

Just another Monday at the Wall Street Journal.

F6UeyAlXUAAXf0i

The only way leasing a Tesla makes sense is that its dirt cheap per month. Because at the end of the lease, you are giving away the equity back to Tesla. In this economy people are more interested in dirt cheap.

The folks who leased say a Plaid X for 140k that is now 90k new might be pretty ok to leave the "residual" value with Tesla.

Apart from that, if they went through a 3rd party lease, they can potentially get access to the $7500 tax credit that is not available for cars in that price range otherwise (and not even available if going through Tesla for the lease as they don't pass through the credit but pocket it instead)-- this route also lets you get the credit even if you're personally over the income limits as well.

Tesla Model 3 Becomes First-Ever EV To Crack Into Top 10 Leased Vehicles In America​

The only way leasing a Tesla makes sense is that its dirt cheap per month. Because at the end of the lease, you are giving away the equity back to Tesla. In this economy people are more interested in dirt cheap.
In what economy are people not interested in dirt cheap. Perhaps I'm not old enough to remember an instance of this.

I find that highly unlikely given that customers have already spent credits from the loot box to get an invitation.

Some kind of delivery event is happening.
The Giga Texas drone flyover videos show a very Cybertruck-themed remodel is going on at one of the plant's entrances. Maybe to play a role as a stage/backdrop for the delivery event?

10:47 here:

So, if we connect the dots, the plan is to get the UAW pay above that of the Tesla workers so they will be inclined to unionize to get the higher pay. They've got to get that done faster than they drive the Big 3 out of business.

I like popcorn.
Optimus: Recent FSD demo learning from other drivers. How long before passive video and/or video goggles (apple vision?!) are used to record factory work and train optimus? And where is Asimov and the robot rules-- which I don't think include robot unionization....

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Optimus: Recent FSD demo learning from other drivers. How long before passive video and/or video goggles (apple vision?!) are used to record factory work and train optimus? And where is Asimov and the robot rules-- which I don't think include robot unionization....
No chance the thought of Optimus has crossed the mind of that UAW head

Lots of new info from Deutche Banks sit down with management team( they have a buy rating with PT of 300).

-16 days of inventory is not sufficient enough to put Tesla Q3 deliveries to be above Q2

-Reasonably assume highland cost less to produce and it's priced higher

-Highland does not use gigacasting and uses the same battery packs for ease of production ramp

-Berlin will not make any Model 3s, will continue to focus on Model Y

-Berlin and Texas cost reduction currently comes from ramping to capacity, much of the cost reduction will come in 2024 as they optimize after ramp

-SG&A/R&D are highly focused on Dojo and CT, will go down vs % of sales, should be realized more in Q4

-Will focus more on regional discounts vs headline price reductions to move inventory

-Due to Tesla's limited impact from raw materials inflation and deflation, you should see muted impact from current raw material's deflation as a point of cost reduction just like how the impact of raw materials during high inflation time was also muted.

-Berlin ramp is going to 375k and not the initial 500k due to labor laws for overnight is too costly and it's not worth it

-Texas is still going to full production

-Next gen car will be made around the world, not just Mexico. Mexico will only make next gen car. Target volume is 5M.

-Cybertruck deliveries in Q4, will be the ONLY tesla vehicle using the 4680 structural pack and 48V power infrastructure. As for charging, it'll be at 1000V system. Targeting 250k/annual production

-FSD pricing reduction hopefully can gain 20% more take rate, margins are close to 100%

-High interest on FSD licensing, gathering partners up now so they can start recognizing revenue in the next several years. Said Nvidia/Mobile eye are the only other systems OEMs can pick so it depends on pricing/capabilities. Said other OEMs will not have their customers pay no less than Tesla FSD customers.

Last edited:
I think the current interest rates are an under appreciated headwind for the stock market. If you're wealthy and have ten million, you can get 500K a year in interest. Why put your money in a volatile market when you can get a stress free 500K?
Agreed. But, what would it cost you in taxes to sell $10M in equities to move into 5% interest bearing account?

I think the current interest rates are an under appreciated headwind for the stock market. If you're wealthy and have ten million, you can get 500K a year in interest. Why put your money in a volatile market when you can get a stress free 500K?

YTD - my dividual mutual funds have done the following:

- grown 5% YTD (were 10%+ 2 months ago) w/ a 60-40 stocks-bonds mix
- still on-pace for 3% dividend yield

Yes, I'd generate more income in a money market fund at 5.2%, but it'd be less than total growth of the output of my dividend mutual funds so far which stands at 8% YTD. The way this is going, it looks like more growth in returns and income from the dividend mutual funds than the money market funds this year, in 2023, due to how well the market is going.

In 2022, my dividend mutual funds lost ~16%. TSLA lost ~60%. I'm still down by ~4-6% from what I bought in for in 11/2021 in the dividend mutual funds from TSLA.

Theoretically, if I was super certified insane and prescient at the same time (rather than analyzing in hindsight), the most optimal growth strategy would have been selling out of TSLA and then waiting for the inevitable drop down to $100. Then, mass re-buy and get the ~2.6X growth so far this year...on top of the ~20-25x it grew between 2019-2021.

Lots of new info from Deutche Banks sit down with management team( they have a buy rating with PT of 300).

-16 days of inventory is not sufficient enough to put Tesla Q3 deliveries to be above Q2

-Reasonably assume highland cost less to produce and it's priced higher

-Highland does not use gigacasting and uses the same battery packs for ease of production ramp

-Berlin will not make any Model 3s, will continue to focus on Model Y

-Berlin and Texas cost reduction currently comes from ramping to capacity, much of the cost reduction will come in 2024 as they optimize after ramp

-SG&A/R&D are highly focused on Dojo and CT, will go down vs % of sales, should be realized more in Q4

-Will focus more on regional discounts vs headline price reductions to move inventory

-Due to Tesla's limited impact from raw materials inflation and deflation, you should see muted impact from current raw material's deflation as a point of cost reduction just like how the impact of raw materials during high inflation time was also muted.

-Berlin ramp is going to 375k and not the initial 500k due to labor laws for overnight is too costly and it's not worth it

-Texas is still going to full production

-Next gen car will be made around the world, not just Mexico. Mexico will only make next gen car. Target volume is 5M.

-Cybertruck deliveries in Q4, will be the ONLY tesla vehicle using the 4680 structural pack and 48V power infrastructure. As for charging, it'll be at 1000V system. Targeting 250k/annual production

-FSD pricing reduction hopefully can gain 20% more take rate, margins are close to 100%

-High interest on FSD licensing, gathering partners up now so they can start recognizing revenue in the next several years. Said Nvidia/Mobile eye are the only other systems OEMs can pick so it depends on pricing/capabilities. Said other OEMs will not have their customers pay no less than Tesla FSD customers.

Whoa - what a giant dump of great details! More than we get on earnings calls!

Rather disappointed with that Berlin number.

Lots of new info from Deutsche Bank:

-Berlin ramp is going to 375k and not the initial 500k due to labor laws for overnight is too costly and it's not worth it.
If that is the full story - no hidden backstory that might never come out - then I cannot but see it as a massive unforced error. How can a responsible manufacturing company not know from Day -0 what such basic labor parameters are?

If that is the full story - no hidden backstory that might never come out - then I cannot but see it as a massive unforced error. How can a responsible manufacturing company not know from Day -0 what such basic labor parameters are?
My guess is that there are not enough people to fill overnight shifts and not enough people wants to extend their hours from afternoon shifts into overnights.