Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooo, in Cybertruck news, a few days ago when I clicked on my reservation it said Tri-motor with FSD and you will be invited to configure as it gets closer.

now it just says "You cannot edit design at this time"

Getting ready to allow configuration?

I hadn't seen this mentioned, sorry if old news.
Not sure we can draw any conclusion, here's a comparison of orders.

My Tri CT order is no longer "Manageable" as you mention. This has the higher RN.

1695807553302.png

However, my other CT order is still "Manageable" but when clicked I cannot edit the design. This has the lower RN, likely the first one ordered. I'm assuming this was the Dual, right? (Been a while now, I don't want to "misremember").

1695807679683.png

1695808912356.png

From this "2019" agreement... (has it been this long?)

1695807303365.png

Edit to save space...

Last edited:

View attachment 977534
"<legacy>...nowhere near enough volume to fill a typical assembly plant, which needs to operate at 80% of capacity or more to be profitable."

I doubt even 100% capacity would make them profitable. Hence, Ford's hold on the battery factory indicating there is no current path to profits.

According to Al Root EV inventory at dealer lots is 97 days, while traditional vehicles is 57 days. This is why the OEMs are cancelling their future EV plans, and also why Tesla did price cuts instead of advertising. Now the competition is destroyed for years into the future, giving Tesla all the batteries they need to make all the vehicles and battery storage they want.

Last edited:
Not sure we can draw any conclusion, here's a comparison of orders.

My Tri CT order is no longer "Manageable" as you mention. This has the higher RN.

View attachment 977525

However, my other CT order is still "Manageable" but when clicked I cannot edit the design. This has the lower RN, likely the first one ordered. I'm assuming this was the Dual, right? (Been a while now, I don't want to "misremember").

View attachment 977526
View attachment 977531
From this "2019" agreement... (has it been this long?)

View attachment 977523

Edit to save space...
IMG_5984.jpeg

Same deal with me, just an FYI

The 'old news' Reuters casting article has now been updated to actual news (perhaps they were trying to bury it)..

This could explain why the Model 3 Highland isn't using front/rear castings - could it be getting a single casting?

'Tesla (TSLA.O) is working on an upgrade of its "gigacasting" technology to die cast almost all vehicle underbody parts in one piece, the Shanghai Securities News reported on Wednesday citing unnamed sources close to the automaker.

The state-owned Chinese newspaper, which based its report after a recent visit to Tesla's Shanghai factory, did not say when and where the upgrade will happen.'
Doubtful if you ask me - these types of huge innovations don't pass by unnoticed - they're typically uncovered well before release. This seems more likely for the next car, or perhaps the one after that.

So cute. Looks like Cory's office will be in a tent.
Doubtful. Cory was hired to work on their next-gen medium vehicles. (The competitors to the Model 3 and Model Y.) I doubt he will be doing much with the Lucid Air or Gravity. (Or the Saudi Arabia assembly plant. My understanding is that it doesn't manufacture anything, it just reassembles what was made in the US, taken apart, and shipped there. Like the Tilburg facility Tesla used to have for the Model S and Model X vehicles that went to Europe.)

View attachment 977534

Do they even have editors?

Chart lists Tesla at 325,291 sold... then story text says "Model Y and Model 3 ranked numbers one and two, with first-half sales of 200,000 and 160,000, respectively" which is 360k without even counting S/X.

Didn't bother to see which is right (and since Tesla doesn't actually break out sales like that it's likely BOTH are using a best guess someone else made- so I suppose the text guy and the chart guy used different peoples best guesses and nobody cross checked?)

According to Al Root EV inventory at dealer lots is 97 days, while traditional vehicles is 57 days. This is why the OEMs are cancelling their future EV plans, and also why Tesla did price cuts instead of advertising. Now the competition is destroyed for years into the future, giving Tesla all the batteries they need to make all the vehicles and battery storage they want.
This needs to be reconciled with the energy transition goals and need to get off fossil fuels, because at this rate we'll still be consuming massive amounts of gasoline/diesel for many decades to come.

Ford's example here is playing hard ball with the government and likely partners, could see it coming as soon as these companies started announcing big EV commitments that can now be used as leverage because the transition is not happening and not happening quickly enough without these big investments by many different parties simultaneously.

There were almost 280million vehicles registered in the US as of 2021 and like 1% of those are EVs, who wants to do the math here with replacement rate to figure out how long it'll take to switch fully (or at least largely) off combustion?

Probably nothing, but watch again and hear the motor whine. I've never been in a Tesla, but from all the videos watched over the years, there is only one motor that makes that kind of noise, the Plaid ones

Maybe they just added it's noise because it's the coolest one, or that is a subtle hint to the new Model 3 Performance

Also, they cut the video right when it hits 200 km/h, but if you got frame by frame, power still at it's peak, Highland is limited to 201 km/h, so power should have been way down for it to smoothly stop accelerating at 201 km/h
Anyone else hear the CSI Vegas theme song after reading this post...............Good detective work.

Is it my imagination, or do these fires always seem to occur during construction of the Megapack sites and never after it goes into production?
No, it's happened after commissioning as well. Flaws in battery systems cause fires.

This. I do slightly worry about how Tesla will be able to source all the batteries its long term 50% YoY growth calls for. Given mineral and battery forecasts, it is possible, but it’ll have to be at the expense of all the other manufacturers. And maybe that is indeed how Tesla will square this circle.