Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From tiktok to reddit to TMC, anyone want to guess why this particular truck is mixed in with old damaged non teslas?

1696651741458.png

"The guidance world clarify that eligble consumers may transfer the full value of the new or previously owned vehicle credit regardless of their individual tax liability."
Ugh, this sets up a 4Q situation a little like last year. Why would I buy a Tesla now if I can wait until January and get the credit immediately off the top... and remove uncertainty about getting the full credit (How much will I be paying in income tax this year after deductions and whatnot? Let's see, how much did I pay last year? Where did I file that 1040? Nevermind I'll just wait until January)

Ugh, this sets up a 4Q situation a little like last year. Why would I buy a Tesla now if I can wait until January and get the credit immediately off the top... and remove uncertainty about getting the full credit (How much will I be paying in income tax this year after deductions and whatnot? Let's see, how much did I pay last year? Where did I file that 1040? Nevermind I'll just wait until January)
Because you don't know how much IRA credit the Tesla will be eligible for in 2024 when additional restrictions kick in?

As you say, if you buy at the end of Q4, you only have a few weeks to wait until you can file and get your refund. Some may wait, but (as @mongo tells us) they may lose half of the $7,500 rebate by buying after imported LFP packs become ineligible.

I think the more important factor will be if there are a significant number of lower-income customers who would not otherwise qualify for the full $7,500 in 2023, but will get access to the revamped rebate program after Jan 1st. However, that scenario is an increase in demand, not deferred demand.

Of course, all Tesla needs to do to move cars at Christmastime is signal those price increase coming in January. This will also help manage the flood of buyers, and can be tweeked as necessary with inventory discounts and the inevitable prices cut in Q1.

Anybody remember buying a IBM-compatible* PC during the 1990s? Are you the type that had to have it as soon as possible, or did you wait for that 'irresistible' price? :D

Cheers to the Patient!
*so do you also remember the PHEONIX BIOS?

Last edited:

Prices may start creeping back up in 2024 as demand goes through the roof.

You just never know about Tesla pricing. If you are ready to buy a Tesla and you like the price, that's the time to pounce.

Last edited:
A bit of insight on the price cuts, lithium carbonate prices, right now it needs a bit less than $2000 per Model 3/Y of it, versus a peak of over $7000. I know Tesla isn't exposed to the full price swings, but for sure was at least for part of it

View attachment 980351
Have you find data how much real world batteries uses Lithium? Your $ numbers seems high even using 2x Lithium compared to minimum for charge transfer.

You're going to love the Plaid, but you'll miss your P85 too, that was the most fin car I've ever owned, all that power on RWD was a constant giggle-fest, loved it, and the pano roof...
I had a P85 loner once, when my 85D was in for service. I loved how it drove. RWD with good power and balanced weight distrubution is fun for sure.

I need to track down where I found it a while ago, but it was around 160g/kWh of Lithium or 850g/kWh of Lithium Carbonate before processing

edit: found it How Much Lithium is in a Li-Ion Vehicle Battery?
So 85 Kg of Lithium Carbonate per 100 KWH battery or about 187 pounds, sounds a little light considering a model Y battery pack weighs around 1,700 pounds or so, I’m wondering what’s the other 1,513 pounds made of?

I wonder what’s the ratio of that to, say, Iron Phosphate?

Reactions: SOULPEDL
So 85 Kg of Lithium Carbonate per 100 KWH battery or about 187 pounds, sounds light considering a model Y battery pack weighs around 1,700 pounds or so, I’m wondering what’s the other 1,513 pounds made of?
Steel, iron&phosphorus or nickel, manganese, cobalt, copper, aluminum, carbon, plastic, electronics
Only 5-10kg of lithium itself in a pack.