Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pick-up trucks in North America have always been used predominantly as work vehicles, whether by tradesmen, landscapers, for snow removal, for towing small recreational vehicles or campers, etc. the list is endless.

As endless as this imagined list might be, the fact is those user groups listed aren't the majority of actual use cases. They are merely what is portrayed in the advertisements.

Rather, This demographic study supports a theory that most pickup owners do NOT use their trucks for daily work.

Here's an excerpt from that study:

"Pickup Truck Owners by Use​

Truck companies love to brag about their model's towing capacity in their ads, but the fact is most pickup owners don't actually put those hitches to work to tow much of anything. You're actually a little more likely to see them used for off-roading, and more than twice as likely to see them hauling cargo in the bed.​

I don't expect Cybertruck to change these rather mundane use cases in any significant way.

Last edited:
As endless as this imagined list might be, the fact is those user groups listed aren't the majority of actual use cases. They are merely what is portrayed in the advertisements.

Rather, This demographic study supports a theory that most pickup owners do NOT use their trucks for daily work.

Truck companies love to brag about their model's towing capacity in their ads, but the fact is most pickup owners don't actually put those hitches to work to tow much of anything. You're actually a little more likely to see them used for off-roading, and more than twice as likely to see them hauling cargo in the bed.​

I don't expect Cybertruck to change these rather mundane use cases in any significant way.
A Cybertruck also makes a pretty good commuter vehicle.

A recreational activity that only happens on average once per year may still be an important factor in a buying decision. Towing the boat on the holiday isn't considered optional.

The real issue is of CT matches the performance of a ICE vehicle well enough to satisfy prospective customers.

A Cybertruck also makes a pretty good commuter vehicle.

A recreational activity that only happens on average once per year may still be an important factor in a buying decision. Towing the boat on the holiday isn't considered optional.

The real issue is of CT matches the performance of a ICE vehicle well enough to satisfy prospective customers.

Agreed. My point was how the concept that everyone with a pickup in the US is using it daily as a tradesman, daily towing, etc. is a myth perpetrated upon the general public by the advertisement industry.

In no way was I discounting the role these potential uses play in the buying decision. (thanks mostly to the advertising) Despite how the actual part of the truck's lifetime spent in these roles being, for all practical porpoises, microscopic.

Everybody knows that all practical porpoises drive pickups.

Therefore, I want a "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" bumper sticker for my Cybertruck.

The reason we regard with disdain pickup drivers who drive with no cargo or payload 99% of the time is... the needless excess, particularly pollution. A pickup that is getting 20MPG on fossil fuels is consuming 1671Wh/mile and putting out emissions of (say) 450g/mile.

A person riding around in a Cybertruck with no payload or cargo 99% of the time is still only consuming potentially ~400Wh/mile... with CO2 emissions as low as zero, depending on where the electricity came from.

For amusement, I share this real post made by the SEC a few hours ago. The replies are entertaining.

Screenshot
View attachment 982742

Live link

they also __do not_ have missing Failure to Deliver data from Oct 30, 2018 to January 20, 2019.
somehow, magically there were no FTD's for over 2.5 months
If you download and parse the files from July 2010 to present date, there is a 2.5 month gap
during that time period of ~3,063 dates (number squishy due to missing 2.5+months), 162,285,599 shares were subject to Failure to deliver, with a daily average of 52, 986

162 million shares averaging almost 53,000 per day

So, during the ~missing 50 days not reported, around another 2,650,000 shares were mysteriously not reported in the FTD's
(not adjusted for splits, shares are hard numbers, additional thought may be required)

Last edited:
Last 6 months
1697536980581.png

last 13 months
1697537136440.png

parsed data file attached July, 2010 through September 30, 2023

Attachments

• tsla_ftd.zip
    797.9 KB · Views: 28

We love our trucks here in the South. Here in Atlanta, about half the cars you see commuting an hour to work are pickups. Imagine all that gas-guzzling just to get to work. Tesla is very popular here, but pickups rule. Anyone remember the 1996 Atlanta Olympics opening ceremony? If you remember anything about it, you probably remember the unique shiny chrome-plated trucks featured prominently. In the South, we love our trucks.

images

The surveys about how people actually use their trucks don't matter. People buy them based on how they imagine they will use their trucks. That's why all the pickup ads show all the use cases nobody really uses.

Will you really be able to use your Cybertruck as a fishing boat? Most would probably never really do that. But if it's possible... If people can imagine themselves using their Cybertruck as a boat then Cybertruck becomes a LOT more desirable. Cybertruck would go from crazy demand to insane demand.

And this is why those saying Cybertruck doesn't matter are dead wrong. It probably won't be rated to actually be a boat. But there will undoubtedly be features that no other vehicle can offer. Cybertruck will reinforce the image of Tesla as a company that does things nobody else can do.

For a stock like TSLA, this not only matters, it's ultimately all that matters.

TSLA ended the year in 2022 at $123.18 so if people have tax-losses to harvest in 2023, they are trading Options way too much (and losing their shirts while feeding the bares). :p

View attachment 982517

Cheers to the Options-adverse!
"Feeding the Bares."

I see what you did there Dodger. Well played sir, well played.😎

Last 6 months
View attachment 982809
last 13 months
View attachment 982810
parsed data file attached July, 2010 through September 30, 2023
Then there are the 'rules' including the Rule 180:

Rule 180. Failure to Deliver​

This rule is no longer applicable.
If securities which are to be delivered pursuant to the rules of a registered clearing agency are not so delivered, the contract may be closed as provided in the rules of said registered clearing agency. If not so closed or if there is a failure to deliver securities which are to be delivered pursuant to Rule 176 or Rule 177, and in the absence of any notice or agreement, the contract shall continue without interest until the following business day; but in every such case of non-delivery of securities, the party in default shall be liable for any damages which may accrue thereby. All claims for such damages shall be made promptly.

When the parties to a contract are both participants in a registered clearing agency which has an automated service for notifying a failing party of the liability that will be attendant to a failure to deliver and that contract was to be settled through the facilities of said registered clearing agency, the transmission of the liability notification must be accomplished through use of said automated notification service.
Amended:
July 11, 1974;
June 28, 1978;
January 19, 2007 (NYSE-2006-57).
Then read very, very carefully the present day Rule SHO:
Just in case nobody is patient enough for the details, here is the punch line:
"“Naked” short selling is not necessarily a violation of the federal securities laws or the Commission’s rules. Indeed, in certain circumstances, “naked” short selling contributes to market liquidity"
That handy phrase is how 'naked shorting' is neatly and absurdly defined as 'legitimate' and how really 'connected' people can actually roll a naked short position WITHOUT DELIVERING SHARES.
When @winfield100 posted the data I could not resist. This data is yet another definitive proof that retail investors playing in options are doomed to failure, sooner or later. NO exceptions!

TSLA, remember accounts for >50% of that short interest, and even that data does not count most of the fails. The SEC actually does not get it all, but that data delves into deeply proprietary sources, for good reasons to them.

Just got a call by Tesla out of the blue. Guy said I had participated in the Giga Berlin Tour raffle..
Me: YEAH :D
He: Unfortunately you have not won, but we have a consolation price for you..
Me: Ah, ok..:oops:
He: You can take a test drive in a Model S, X, Y...
Me: :rolleyes:... Highland 3, you have that available already?
He: Not yet, but if you want I can update you when we have

Not sure that was the most psychologically optimized advertising...

The reason we regard with disdain pickup drivers who drive with no cargo or payload 99% of the time is... the needless excess, particularly pollution. A pickup that is getting 20MPG on fossil fuels is consuming 1671Wh/mile and putting out emissions of (say) 450g/mile.

A person riding around in a Cybertruck with no payload or cargo 99% of the time is still only consuming potentially ~400Wh/mile... with CO2 emissions as low as zero, depending on where the electricity came from.
I agree this is super inefficient, but these people are willing to shell out 50K+ for the vehicle, then 150+ for the full multiple times per month for the pleasure of riding in a big vehicle, just image if Tesla and others do get it right, at the right price point. These are going to go to the dust bin super fast. I love the look of the Rivian, but just like the Model S was in 2012, it's expensive and for a niche right now. If CT can come in around 55-60K regardless of the looks it will sell amazingly well.

I feel like the Big 3 (GM In particular) are not serious with their trucks. But then again anytime they do have something people get excited about the dealers just mark it up and stymie that progress.

Collection of earnings estimates (non GAAP adj EPS):

JamesCat: $0.70
Gary Black: $0.72
DarkandStormy: $0.73
Wall Street Consensus: $0.74
MattchasmMatt: $0.81

Funny, the retail estimates average to exactly the WS number..

Still waiting for Troy, says is going to publically post his estimate today. Rob Maurer doing an earnings preview in today´s epsiode.
Has anyone seen the company compiled estimates from analysts, when does that usually come out and where?