Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not guessing. Streaming providers pay for placements. They pay for clicks and pay for sales. This a rep[eat fp an easier longer post. Every major entity does that. TuneIn, Netflix, Tidal etc all pay to be on the Tesla list as they do for any other place. Apple is paid for every app, so is Tesla and every other OEM. This stuff has been developing since 1993. That is how every part of this industry works. Most everything is published in the trade Press, even ADAge has much of it. The precise pricing is the stuff of serious negotiations. Tesla si one fo the most savvy marketers in the business. They're giving away nothing! Of course, none of this is disclosed because the value is dwarfed by physical product sales.
Thanks, @unk45, we agree. Tesla is paid something for all their app placements. How much they are paid is - outside of those directly involved in the negotiations - anyone's guess.

Why? Does GM get a cut of the ads that are played over the radio in their cars?...

And to @DarthPierce and @MP3Mike, everything coming through Tesla LTE is digital and creates logs, unlike with analog radio (or TV). Do you really think Tesla is ignoring how many drivers are listening to which services? Don't you think Tesla contracts the providers to pay for those listens / views either incrementally or at least per app install before adding their app to every Tesla? "It's the data, stupid" (not you, MP3Mike, I just mean, in the digital / Google age, every online action is tracked, measured, and paid for one way or another.)

Last edited:
Why? Does GM get a cut of the ads that are played over the radio in their cars?
If GM had the ability to do it, they might demand a cut. But because radio comes over the public airwaves, GM doesn't own the platform.

An apt analogy is TV. If you have a Sony TV, then Sony gets nothing from the ads that come over the public airwaves. But once you subscribe to cable, you have a cable company that owns the platform. And the cable company does get a cut of ad revenue. Cable ad revenues are on the order of several billion dollars a year.

In this case, Tesla owns the platform. And Tesla is providing an audience in a highly desirable demographic. They should be paid for that.

Last edited:
If GM had the ability to do it, they might demand a cut. But because radio comes over the public airwaves, GM doesn't own the platform.

An apt analogy is TV. If you have a Sony TV, then Sony gets nothing from the ads that come over the public airwaves. But once you subscribe to cable, you have a cable company that owns the platform. And the cable company does get a cut of ad revenue. Cable ad revenues are on the order of several billion dollars a year.

In this case, Tesla owns the platform. And Tesla is providing an audience in a highly desirable demographic. They should be paid for that.
Tesla is the TV in your scenario. Tesla doesn't receive revenue and by pushing to do so, they could lose partners and it's really unprecedented.

They could develop a model like Apple and take a cut on subscriptions, but that hasn't been done. Apple, FireTV, etc. aren't getting revenue from ads on Youtube.

• Disagree
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Tesla is the TV in your scenario. Tesla doesn't receive revenue and by pushing to do so, they could lose partners and it's really unprecedented.

They could develop a model like Apple and take a cut on subscriptions, but that hasn't been done. Apple, FireTV, etc. aren't getting revenue from ads on Youtube.
In my analogy, Tesla is both the TV manufacturer and the cable company.

I don't know about Apple, but Roku and FireTV both collect ad revenue.

Have you ever wondered how much money Roku makes from showing you those ads every year? According to Roku, they make, on average, $40.67 per user every year. This comes from the 1st quarter 2023 earnings report. (This number is an average over the last 12 months.)

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
In my analogy, Tesla is both the TV manufacturer and the cable company.

I don't know about Apple, but Roku and FireTV both collect ad revenue.

They collect ad revenue from their own ads, not from the aps that show ads. Roku and FireTV have ads that show on their interface.

Tesla does not provide the internet, it's AT&T. Tesla is the TV or the Fire TV, Roku, etc. Tesla could put ads in the car and make money, but that's not what you are talking about.

What you are suggesting hasn't been done by anyone, getting a cut of the ad inside the application. Companies like Apple/Google/Amazon can charge companies for being in their store, but they don't collect ad revenue from their ads.

Edit: Help me understand how Tesla is the cable company?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Click below to play quarterly call bingo to get a randomized bingo card for the 5:30pm EST conference call today. First one to get five in a row, jump up and yell BINGO really loudly, and then post in this thread. Clicking on any square crosses out that square, so click on the free square to get started. No cheating :p

https://mfbc.us/v/wk8z6e3

Rivian down almost 7% - still trying to convince people the bond offering wasn’t about needing more money

Their cash pile is down to $9.1B. How quickly the tables have turned. Rivian used to have more cash on hand than Tesla did at the time IIRC. Amazing what happens when a company actually generates cash rather than spend it (ask Apple :p ).

Thanks, @unk45, we agree. Tesla is paid something for all their app placements. How much they are paid is - outside of those directly involved in the negotiations - anyone's guess.

And to @DarthPierce and @MP3Mike, everything coming through Tesla LTE is digital and creates logs, unlike with analog radio (or TV). Do you really think Tesla is ignoring how many drivers are listening to which services? Don't you think Tesla contracts the providers to pay for those listens / views either incrementally or at least per app install before adding their app to every Tesla? "It's the data, stupid" (not you, MP3Mike, I just mean, in the digital / Google age, every online action is tracked, measured, and paid for one way or another.)
To be clear, it is true we cannot precisely define the amounts tesla makes from these activities, just as we cannot know exactly Supercharger revenue or any other detailed revenue category apart from generalities.
However the subject of revenue from clicks and sales is generically named 'affiliate marketing' because entities are paid for any promotional results they bring. These are analogous to customer referral programs such as the one Tesla provides for us, their customers. As it happens these programs have become institutionalized in the last couple fo deuces so now there are myriad companies around that act as intermediaries, such as the Affiliate Window:
I chose that example because fo the name, not their position in that growing market. We may not know exactly what Tesla gains from, say, Netflix, but we can see what Netflix pays generic affiliates. These, mostly are paid for customer origination, but recently these have expanded to customer retention, primarily because the competition has become overwhelmingly fierce, as many of us know.

In the Tesla case we will probably never know exactly because that revenue will never be material. What may well become material si overall Tesla revenue from subscriptions and services that are non-automotive. In the category we will eventually see is, in Tesla Energy: maintenance fees on Megapacks, VPP revenue, grid services, etc. Then there are Supercharger margins, charging equipment/adapter sales and margins on energy sales. When we add those to more traditional things such as insurance and financing/leasing we know we're much passed materiality. There is no question that our subject of earnings indirectly from cellular-linked referrals, will not be material independently. But, this revenue has nearly zero costs attached so it simply makes high gross margins easier.

In my opinion it is valuable to understand as many of these components as we can because they contribute to the resilience of earnings. As those of us who own AAPL, GOOGL or AMZN for examples, know and understand. The virtuous cycle of subscriptions, collateral services and other services end out being really major factors. Right now those are pretty much the GOOGL profit stream (they call it advertising), and closely related things are AMZN major earnings apart from web services.

I know most people want specific numbers. Those will be precision without accuracy. We should be happy that these sources of income are rising very, very rapidly and are instrumental to create a durable Tesla eco-system, with Supercharging dominance a frontispiece. That lack of specific numbers is probably what analysts ignore it, even with AAPL, because they really cannot understand it. To analysts TSLA is a seller of antiquated cars and AAPL sells cellular phones.

We at TMC really ned to understand the benefits of things that cannot be quantified today just as we holders of AAPL understand that customer retention is an astoundingly great benefit precisely because it reduces the need for grotesquely expensive customer acquisition programs.

Perhaps I'm arguing too much. I do not think so because the efforts to turn Tesla into just another OEM that has broadcast ads is precisely the sort of choice that will destroy shareholder value by unlinking the superb direct marketing that is the core Tesla efficiency advantage other than manufacturing. Not a penny has been spent in publicity to conquer the majority of NA BEV sales to Superchargers. Why waste money when we've just reached nearly there total NA addressible market?

What you are suggesting hasn't been done by anyone, getting a cut of the ad inside the application. Companies like Apple/Google/Amazon can charge companies for being in their store, but they don't collect ad revenue from their ads.
This is becoming painful. Yes, companies do get shares of revenue on ads placed inside their apps. They often get revenue from links, from clicks and from inquiries and sales, depending on the arrangement. Pure pass-throughs also participate is those streams. This has been explained many, many times, but somehow seems impossible to understand.

I give up! FWIW, as a former teacher, adjunct, of marketing at multiple levels I often found people cannot really understand what the internet and streaming media has done to the marketing world. Amazing!

Like the cable company, Tesla provides the platform. Tesla provides the audience. If ads are targeted at Tesla's audience, Tesla should get a cut of the revenue.
This is just a terrible analogy.

Tesla provides a platform, yes, just like FireTV, AppleTV, that Sony TV, etc...but they aren't providing the actual broadcast, like cable or Youtube or Netflix.

Tesla is just a platform. Ads that target Apple users on YT don't pay Apple, because those Ads are on YT.

I don't know how you think Tesla is like a cable company, providing actual content with contracts with NBC, ESPN, etc., but where is Tesla doing that? They allow aps on their car and inside those aps are content and that content is playing everywhere.

This is going too far down a rabbit hole. For Tesla to make ad money, they would need to show ads in the car. I think most see that as a bad path and what I think has killed Waze. Tesla could charge Spotify, Tune-in, etc, for allowing their aps in the car, but that's a different discussion. We also can't say for sure there are no agreements like this, but I believe it was said that there's absolutely not one with Apple.

Reactions: MP3Mike
This is becoming painful. Yes, companies do get shares of revenue on ads placed inside their apps. They often get revenue from links, from clicks and from inquiries and sales, depending on the arrangement. Pure pass-throughs also participate is those streams. This has been explained many, many times, but somehow seems impossible to understand.

I give up! FWIW, as a former teacher, adjunct, of marketing at multiple levels I often found people cannot really understand what the internet and streaming media has done to the marketing world. Amazing!
This isn't true. My company develops aps for many companies including Apple, Google, FireTV...the ads inside the programming, like a commercial or an ad on youtube are not shared with the platform. I can say this as an absolute. What Usain is suggesting is not done currently.