Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months ago I calculated that a 40% CAGR would reach 20 mil in 2030.

Assuming 1.8M deliveries in 2023, it's 49.4% CAGR to reach 20M by end of 2029, or 41.1% CAGR to the end of 2030. To me, the exact date doesn't matter, as long as the growth trajectory is plain to see.

That'll be a PR challenge in the runup years, since that would be ~6 to 7 M added in the final year of exponential growth. Wall-E doesn't understand exponential...

They also don't believe in robotic-staffed cloned gigafactories pumping out single-piece casting robotaxis! We'll need a machine that build factories, most likely.

Assuming 1.8M deliveries in 2023, it's 49.4% CAGR to reach 20M by end of 2029, or 41.1% CAGR to the end of 2030. To me, the exact date doesn't matter, as long as the growth trajectory is plain to see.

That'll be a PR challenge in the runup years, since that would be ~6 to 7 M added in the final year of exponential growth. Wall-E doesn't understand exponential...

They also don't believe in robotic-staffed cloned gigafactories pumping out single-piece casting robotaxis! We'll need a machine that build factories, most likely.

Now that's what I want to hear!

Do we see more price cuts on S and X before the end of the year?

Model X price cut was to snag the IRA rebate in the USA. Model S isn't going to get there, the IRA limit for sedans is too low (likely below the COGS for an LR S).

Imo, Tesla should consider making only the Plaid S (it's the flagship), raise it's price, and make all the wizbang options standard (track pack, FSD, premium paint).

Also, should consider making only the Model X LR if the order book shows only a small porportion of customers ordering the PLAID (due to being ineligible for the IRA given PLAID X base price).

The decision to delay Giga Mexico and gently ramp Berlin and Austin is surprising to me. Only a couple of quarters ago the guidance was that production growth would continue at maximum speed. I think Elon had said something like "pedal to the metal, rain or shine". Why such a major change of direction now? Tesla also has even more liquidity now than when he said that. Further, if affordability is the primary challenge, wouldn't that increase the importance of Gen 3 production in Monterrey?
I think it's pretty much due to uncertainty. Elon was certain there was a recession that had to happen and would have started months ago. Since there's been no such thing, and no particular sign of one coming, he's become less certain of his understanding of the economy and his ability to predict what will happen. Thus he's playing it safe(r).

My take is that Tesla is approaching the top of the demand curves for the Y and 3 (sans advertising- which Elon basically doesn’t believe in). Unfortunately Cybertruck production doesn’t look to be really scalable- 3m orders but only 250k annual production - and the next gen car is years away.

So Elon needs to reset investor expectations.

His excuse is interest rates and macro. US auto sales have been fine and have been nowhere near the very temporary dips due to either the pandemic or 2008 banking crisis

Your hearing is incorrect: (from the Q3 transcript)

"We recently completed a 10,000 GPU cluster of H100s. We think probably bring it into operation faster than anyone’s ever brought that much compute per unit time into production"​

Lol, did you look at all for news? This report is just 3 weeks old: (not everything fits into the shareholder letter, especially if it's already been in the news)

Tesla doubles Dojo D1 supercomputer chip order with TSMC: Report (Sep 25, 2023)
That is what I meant. They completed the building of the cluster but it is not online yet.

I initially and continue to invest in Tesla to support the mission of transitioning away from fossil fuels. That’s why I am disappointed.

They could of made a regular pick up, then developed the cybertruck. It has been four years since announced…and how many years work before that? Preemptively I do not buy the lack of battery argument …as in they would not of had enough batteries.

If they went this route, it would have accelerated the transition, and been much less risky with respect to the fact we know annual demand of conventional pick ups is huge.

Instead they make the same mistakes that delayed the model x, making thing complicated. Fool me once shame on…

Saw this article in the NYT climate forward newsletter and thought, standard EV bashing again:

However, plot twist: it starts out saying the writer had rented Teslas before with no issue, but this time none was available. Due to bad charging availabilty he got stranded in a Volvo EV. So seems like people are learning to tell the difference between Tesla charging and others

Looking throught he Q3 letter for something else, I realized that they kept the Volume section under Outlook the same from Q2:
We are planning to grow production as quickly as possible in alignment with the 50% CAGR target we began guiding to in early 2021. In some years we may grow faster and some we may grow slower, depending on a number of factors. For 2023, we expect to remain ahead of the long-term 50% CAGR with around 1.8 million vehicles for the year.

Then again, they didn´t change anything in the Outlook except for Cybertruck deliveries being on track for later this year instead of just production.

• Informative
Reactions: capster and jerry33
First time? It's no secret that Elon is not a good public speaker, and this is what like, he won't sugar coat, prepare ahead the best way to deliver the message so someone can't take it the wrong way or whatever, we have so far

"It's a giant money furnace" which on quarter latter was profitable, now "Dug our own grave" which one quarter or two latter will be nothing and will have many more of those lol
To be fair, if I recall correctly, that comment was on the Tesla Beat podcast, in a very long and informal conversation.
Earnings calls are quite different: poor wording is far more excusable in the former, not the latter.

Reactions: ShareLofty