Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1698528544262.png

from

You certainly seem to have your very own definition of "mafia"...

The way I see it:

Should various Corporate HQ's get to decide everything? Or should the actual workers also get tlo have a say? How does one worker get to have a say? The only way that happens is through organizing with other workers. And in Democracies that is allowed – as opposed to non-democracies like North Korea and the such.

Companies need to obey the state laws, and nothing beyond that. State laws guarantee minimum wage, vacation days, maternitiy leave procedures, health benefits etc. Companies are formed from private funds, at a great risk from the founder(s) of the company. And they should be able to run the company as they believe is the best, as long as they obey the law. And they should reap the benefits if they succeed, and bankrupt if they fail. That is the essence of capitalism. On the other hand, it is very North Korean, communist, to interfere with this, to impose "workers councils" or even state affiliated voting (as is the case in Germany for example in VW) to influence decisions.

Thinking it is normal for "workers councils" to have an important say in running a company is a prime reason EU hardly has any new company - virtually all the big ones are from before WWII.

I think I have seen like three different articles, two of which talked to employees that said they saw no value in joining the union. And you keep claiming that it is likely that the employees were lying. It doesn't seem like you give Swedish people much credit for being decent honest people. If you aren't willing to speak the truth, and lie and say everything is OK to the media you really aren't doing the strike, and the union, any good. In fact, you are actively harming it.

It seems weird that you are "defending" the Tesla employees by calling them liars.

I know the union I belong to had people lined up to be interviewed and media outlets scheduled to interview them before the striking began. As you have to get your information out so people can understand why you are striking and trying to make their life miserable. And yes, they did that publicly in front of the company headquarters, live, on camera.

If there are really so many union members working for Tesla, and striking, surely some of them would have been interviewed and expressed their reasons for demanding a collective bargaining agreement. Yet, I haven't seen a single one linked to. Why? Is the union so bad at unioning that they can't get the media to interview some striking members and publish anything?

I've already answered this twice. Here's the post where I answered this the second time:

If Tesla gets to do business in Sweden without adhering to this process, then why should any other Corporation in Sweden have to enter into a Collective agreement?
They shouldn't. It sounds like it isn't required of them, so it is totally up to them to enter into one or not. (And totally up to the employees to choose not to work for a company that doesn't have one.) And from the stats that have been shared it seems like 10-40% of the employees aren't currently covered by one.

That means the entire Swedish system of regulating a lot of things in the labour sector could just cease to exist.

As I understand it, that is not something that Swedish unions are willing to accept.

But do they really have a choice? Maybe they should try to get a law passed requiring collective bargaining agreements?

The unions in the US feel the same way, they aren't willing to accept that in a lot of cases they have ceased being of value. But in general unions are going away here; they are losing their power, and their monetary backing.

Was it always like this? Go back through history. Things were very different in for example 1911 weren't they... So how did we get here? Did Corporations just grant workers 'all these things' or were these right achieved through various forms of conflict?...

These workers rights are not guaranteed. They can be taken away through for example various political processes.

One of the over-arching goals of the unions in Sweden is to prevent that from happening.

In Sweden there are some things that are regulated through legislation, but the rest has always been agreed upon i Collective agreements between workers/unions and various employers. If Tesla gets to do business in Sweden without adhering to this process, then why should any other Corporation in Sweden have to enter into a Collective agreement? That means the entire Swedish system of regulating a lot of things in the labour sector could just cease to exist.

As I understand it, that is not something that Swedish unions are willing to accept.
Um, I don’t think we are arguing about conditions in 1911. Today, now, workers are mobile. And employers know that and take it into account. Whether or not Tesla is running things the Swedish way or not is irrelevant. If the employees don’t like the American way, they’ll leave. If they don’t care, they’ll stay. As far as knock on effects to all other Swedish corporations, thats ridiculous. Tesla is tiny in Sweden.

I've already answered this twice. Here's the post where I answered this the second time:
Yeah, by stating something with no link/evidence to support it.

There are reports that executives at Tesla's Swedish subsidiary has threatened employes that they will loose their stock options if they strike. Those can allegedly currently be worth some 8,000 USD. Would you go on strike if it would cost you 8,000 USD? Would you go on strike if that is the message Tesla is sending to their mechanics?
Where are these reports? Are no union members willing to be interviewed even anonymously?

But that still doesn't answer why you think employees are lying to the media. Why would they do that? Why actively harm what you are trying to accomplish?

Why not just say "no comment" or walk away? (Like one article said most of the employees at a site they visited did.)

Um, I don’t think we are arguing about conditions in 1911. Today, now, workers are mobile. And employers know that and take it into account. Whether or not Tesla is running things the Swedish way or not is irrelevant. If the employees don’t like the American way, they’ll leave. If they don’t care, they’ll stay. As far as knock on effects to all other Swedish corporations, thats ridiculous. Tesla is tiny in Sweden.

It's obviously not irrelevant to unions in Sweden.

The Model Y was the best selling car in Sweden the first half of this year, and Tesla is the highest valued car company by far on this planet. I wouldn't exactly label Tesla as 'tiny'.

Yeah, by stating something with no link/evidence to support it.

Where are these reports? Are no union members willing to be interviewed even anonymously?

But that still doesn't answer why you think employees are lying to the media. Why would they do that? Why actively harm what you are trying to accomplish?

Why not just say "no comment" or walk away? (Like one article said most of the employees at a site they visited did.)

In the union's own newspaper (in Swedish):

Like I also wrote and admitted to – there isn't a lot of unbiased reporting on this. It's kind of difficult to actually know what is accurate in all of this...

What prevents any other company to allow employees to own a part of the company at a market discount and as part of performance bonuses

In Detroit, the UAW prevents it. Yes, it's difficult to believe. You may need to do some independant research to understand the United Auto Workers union position (hint: it's to benefit the UAW, not it's members)

Do we have a final word on that. If I recall correctly Musk definitely thought it was like this (at the time of his famous tweets about the subject).
I seem to recall @Artful Dodger diving in? Maybe I am mistaken.

There are no examples of any UAW member receiving stock options as part of their total compensation for employment at any of the Big 3 automakers of Detroit. In spite of (endless, wandering) rhetoric offered here by the usual suspects, that de facto makes the case that the UAW blocks its members from receiving stock options. Just one counter-example would be an existance proof, but when challenged trolls provided none.

FWIW, the IF Metall strike action against Tesla in Sweden is like your neighbor's wife going on a sex strike against you because you are not performing his duties (yeah, the ones you didn't vow to perform). Except that she's actually jealous of how you treat YOUR wife, and would prefer that you two were 'less happy' as a couple. Which would make her feel better about the whole neighborhood (kindly reverse/invert/negate any implied gender roles as fits your personal circumstances... it's just an analogy!).

Skål!

Last edited:
Yeah, it's an Office Building. And the Gen 3 at Giga Texas rumor didn't come from Joe Tegtmeyer, it came from Walter Isaacson.
When know from investor day that the Gen3 process should achieve a 40% reduction in manufacturing footprint.

So why will Giga Mexico be so big?

IMO Giga Mexico is big because it has lots of lines, not because each individual line takes up a lot of space.

So Giga Mexico could have 10-15 lines, while they may only be able to squeeze 1-2 Gen3 lines into Austin.

There is a trade off, higher line speed means more stations per line and more space required, The alternative is to do more useful work at each station with a slower line speed and less space, then duplicate lines to achieve the same throughput.

While the south extension is an office, it is likely that some existing office/dinning/.workstation/testing areas within the factory can be moved to that area freeing up some additional space within the building.

They are also building a new "end of line" facility over on the west side. Which will allow them to reclaim the space used for the existing "end of line".

One the earnings call Lars(?) also suggested that space wasn't a problem.
Unknown speaker

Like in Giga Texas. You said we still have room in this building. It's not full with Cybertruck and the line. There's plenty of growth opportunities still to have inside the building where our team already is.

The claims by Isaacson seem to make sense, are are highly specific, If Isaacson wasn't looking at a Gen3 production line under development at Austin he would have been extremely foolish to make that assumption.

I'm not claiming Austin will match the production capacity of Mexico it seems more likely to be around 10% of the production capacity of Mexico.

Also depending on FSD progress, Gen3 cars produced at Austin might not be for private sale, because they may go straight to the Robotaxi fleet.

Berlin is a logical place to do higher volume Gen3 production perhaps 4-6 lines and up to 50% of the capacity of Mexico.

In China there is already a lot of strong competition in the entry level EV market. For example the BYD Seagull costs around $11,400 USD in China according to Tony Seba. Attempting to beat the Chinese on price in their own market isn't easy..

China is still a good place to build for export to Asia Pacific and for a local Robotaxi fleet should that be permitted.

The order in which we assume things are being done, seems to make sense. The large size of the Mexico factory is causing some people to make false assumptions.

Last edited:
Also depending on FSD progress, Gen3 cars produced at Austin might not be for private sale, because they may go straight to the Robotaxi fleet.

Yup, straight to a Vegas Boring Tunnel in time for Superbowl Sun, Feb 11, 2024 ;)

Yes, that's 1.2M LCDs (600K sq ft) on the "Sphere" in Vegas, not the actual moon. :D

Cheers!

As far as advertising is concerned I'd rather Tesla spend their money on new delivery centers. I cannot tell you how many people I know in New Hampshire and Maine that won't buy a Tesla since the only service centers in the area are in eastern Massachusetts not far from Boston. If the service center isn't within an hour many won't buy. Service centers are demand drivers.

Labels on V4 Stalls, 1000 V 1000 A capable, although the charger itself in all we've seen so far is still V3

Tesla is hugely future proofing them, will be quite a while until something could max both at the same time other than the Semi, which doesn't use NACS or CCS anyway

View attachment 986194
Cybertruck charges at 1MW, no?

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and kbM3
Teslas have minimalist interiors not because it’s a signature style, but because of cost savings.
If true, you've identified the open door for legacy. Legacy is already losing lots of money on each EV that they sell, so do one without the compromises that you claim Tesla has. Sure they'd have to figure out how to do the EV drivetrain, efficiency, OTA stuff and all that other stuff really well... but you're saying that there's a chance....😉

Cybertruck charges at 1MW, no?

Quite unlikely, even if it ships with a 200 kWh pack, 1 MW would be a 5C charging rate, most any Tesla does today is 3.3C, and with the packs likely being smaller than that, even more unlikely

But as time goes on probably, the next jump might be when Tesla starts using it's own Anode material with Silicon, but still I don't see any passenger vehicle hitting 1 MW soon

And on a important note, that rating is for the dispender, which doesn't include the cable, current cables on V4 are rated for 1000 V 615 A, or 615 kW