Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you mind to explain why? Honestly interested, I don´t find the idea so far fetched to invest in BYD.
I will prepare s more complete discussion, and put it in another thread. There is decent detail available but some sources are from outside the company. Although I am bullish on their prospects I am not an investor nor have I intentions to become so.

making a bullet-proof pickup truck before a small affordable city car was not a global masterstroke either.

At least not until one considers the full advertising value of the CT for Tesla and the EV movement by going head to head with the highest volume vehicle being sold in the US, the pickup.

Perhaps a masterstroke it is after all.

Soon enough, those on Roman roads will get their turn. That too will be fabulous.

I don't recall Elon saying that. Please share a recording or a source. Thank you.
I will tomorrow. About to take my kids trick or treating. It was on a podcast and he said the problem with a 25k car is that there are still cost and it's difficult to make good margins. There was also the part in the Biigraphy where he was against it and just wanted a Robotaxi.

• Helpful
Reactions: Drumheller
“…and even BYD isn’t closing the gap that fast”

The 2nd image you shared clearly shows BYD & Tesla with almost the same amount of EVs last quarter.

View attachment 986855

Some people here will inevitably say “But BYD are shipping lower priced cars.” Yes they are. That’s the f@!king goal. Lower costs, lower prices, higher volumes. Accomplish the mission.

This is why I put emphasis that the TTM charts paints a clearer picture, we know Tesla have had a lot of downtime on the lines this past quarter, which we will likely see the effect on the next with even higher production numbers

Reactions: petit_bateau
This is why I put emphasis that the TTM charts paints a clearer picture, we know Tesla have had a lot of downtime on the lines this past quarter, which we will likely see the effect on the next with even higher production numbers

True. But even with all lines running now, Q4 is expected to be somewhere in the 470k-500k range, so BYD & Tesla are still at similar levels (+/- 10%).

I have no idea how much BYD is expected to grow their EV number in Q4, but it seems a logical discussion now to project whether or not BYD surpasses Tesla in EV shipments in 2024.

We know CT is going to be a slow ramp according to Elon, and ultimately not be a huge volume mover in 2024, so the question is how much the Y scales in Berlin & Austin soon, the answer to which is currently not very clear. Berlin is currently capped at 375k projected output for Y (~90k per quarter) while awaiting further future approved factory expansion (Probably for next gen car), while Austin Y line (>250k) seemingly now using 2170 as the 4680 is going to CT, and those 2170s from Giga Nevada are shared with Fremont & Lathrop, so unsure how much near term capacity increase there is available there.

Would say the odds of “BYD surpasses Tesla in EV production” headline in 2024 are probably 50/50

Elon hasn't wanted to make a cheap car because cheap cars have no margins.
Yeah, Elon never said any such thing (no quote?) Read the Master Plan. His long term goal for Tesla is exactly the opposite: 'Start at the top and move down to the mass-market'.

He's said this in the past and had to be convinced to make it.
If you're referring to the Walter Isaacson Bio, Elon did not have to be convinced to make the compact car. He just wanted to build Robotaxi first. His team convinced him to make both cars on the same (flex) line. Big difference.

I will tomorrow. About to take my kids trick or treating. It was on a podcast and he said the problem with a 25k car is that there are still cost and it's difficult to make good margins. There was also the part in the Biigraphy where he was against it and just wanted a Robotaxi.
@uscbucsfan, you said:
Elon hasn't wanted to make a cheap car because cheap cars have no margins.

I don't think Elon ever said he didn't want to make a cheap car. I also don't think he ever said cheap cars have no margins.

I've heard him say many times that they needed to get the cost down to half of what it takes to make a Model 3. I've heard him say that it's going to be hard. But I've never heard him say he didn't want to do it and they will have no margins.

Please do find the podcast. I'm often wrong in my recollections.

Sorry if people are *bored* hearing those of us from Europe bring this up, but we are investors too. If Tesla is making decisions that cripple its appeal in Europe then ALL investors should be concerned. BTW while we are on the topic, making a bullet-proof pickup truck before a small affordable city car was not a global masterstroke either.
Perhaps the reason for delaying the small affordable city car was the word "affordable". Tesla is in a much better place now to deliver an affordable car with adequate margin.

“…and even BYD isn’t closing the gap that fast”

The 2nd image you shared clearly shows BYD & Tesla with almost the same amount of EVs last quarter.

View attachment 986855

Some people here will inevitably say “But BYD are shipping lower priced cars.” Yes they are. That’s the f@!king goal. Lower costs, lower prices, higher volumes. Accomplish the mission.
Nope. The goal is not lower cost cars. The goal is displacing fossil fuel burning. And selling 2M $50k cars satisfies that goal just as much as selling 2M $10k cars. ‘Tis math.

i.e. Affordable cars are a means to an end. They are NOT the end.

And

He stressed that the 200k per year is a long ways off, like 3 times, even calling himself a broken record saying that making the CT and manufacturing in general is so difficult.
The Model 3 was also difficult at first. I didn't say that it would be soon (although it might be soon after the initial line gets going well).

Nope. The goal is not lower cost cars. The goal is displacing fossil fuel burning. And selling 2M $50k cars satisfies that goal just as much as selling 2M $10k cars. ‘Tis math.

i.e. Affordable cars are a means to an end. They are NOT the end.

And
Agree that 2m $50k cars eliminates the same amount of fossil fuel usage as 2m $10k cars.

But tesla isn’t going to get to a 5m vehicle annual run rate selling $50k cars, let alone 10m or 20m.

Last edited: