Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would shareholders ask about Tesla solar? People only focus on questions specifically tailored to pump the stock price on Say.com. Because of course I want to know about CT demand out of Elon's mouth vs him talking about the solar division that does nothing to the SP. I find it quite satisfying seeing Elon tank the stock every time he talks on earnings while shareholders are there to try him to do the opposite.
because solar city, solar roof, powerwall would be my guess

Reactions: ThisStockGood

I agree with many of the views on the roadster. It shouldn't be a priority, but it is desired. An area Tesla does not have an offering is convertibles. The new roadster with T Tops is the closest thing.

That's why I suggested a lower end version. Something with a 50 kWh pack and 0-60 of 8 seconds, but much less expensive, would appeal to people that have convertibles as second vehicles for town driving and relaxing local trips in nice weather. I intend to purchase the supercar roadster (stock price dependent) when possible, but I think the other version could be popular.

Not a priority compared to Tesla's current plans and ramps but perhaps an idea to be considered.

Convertibles are another one of those issues where there aren't many on the road, but we can't really be sure if the sales are truly limited by demand or supply. I know that modern safety requirements make it harder to produce reasonable convertibles, which would result in fewer manufacturers even trying. I can also imagine a lot of manufacturers not wanting to do double the engineering and offer both a convertible and non-convertible version of many cars like in the days of yore.

That being said, a quick google search for "what percentage of cars are convertibles" lead me to this interesting note:

"The convertible was once part of American culture, but it has fallen victim to changing tastes and an ever-evolving economy. Every five years, the number of convertibles sold drops by seven percent. According to edmunds.com, less than 1% of cars sold in the United States are convertibles today."

I think it will be a long time until Tesla will be ready to assume liability for Autopilot.

IMHO what they need now is being allowed to do as much as possible with Autopilot while the driver is responsible and alert, so the system can learn from take-overs. That´s what UNECE is working towards, hopefully to be finalized next year. (Just checked, UK is part of UNECE, too.)
This announcement has come on the back of recent work done by the UK Law Commission on the legal aspects of self driving cars.

Essentially, if my understanding is correct, UK are looking at dual regulation, with UNECE and UK rules running in parallel. Thus any car sold to the UK will need to be either UNECE or UK compliant.

Now, whether Tesla go ahead and tailor FSD for the UK market, or just wait for forthcoming UNECE to do all those countries in one go we don't know. Likely the latter I expect.

But possibly a get out of jail card for the UK should UNECE keep dragging its feet, or if UK regs do not differ to wildly from that proposed by UNECE, allowing earlier implementation.

Convertibles are another one of those issues where there aren't many on the road, but we can't really be sure if the sales are truly limited by demand or supply. I know that modern safety requirements make it harder to produce reasonable convertibles, which would result in fewer manufacturers even trying. I can also imagine a lot of manufacturers not wanting to do double the engineering and offer both a convertible and non-convertible version of many cars like in the days of yore.

That being said, a quick google search for "what percentage of cars are convertibles" lead me to this interesting note:

"The convertible was once part of American culture, but it has fallen victim to changing tastes and an ever-evolving economy. Every five years, the number of convertibles sold drops by seven percent. According to edmunds.com, less than 1% of cars sold in the United States are convertibles today."
Convertibles are great until you actually own one.

Essentially, if my understanding is correct, UK are looking at dual regulation, with UNECE and UK rules running in parallel. Thus any car sold to the UK will need to be either UNECE or UK compliant.

Now, whether Tesla go ahead and tailor FSD for the UK market, or just wait for forthcoming UNECE to do all those countries in one go we don't know. Likely the latter I expect.
Highly unlikely that Tesla would take liability for FSD, especially at this point while they still call it Level 2, so I doubt they would try to go for UK rule compliance.

Just a short OT update on Lucid with their Q3 reprot out today. (sorry if this is not the place for it, or ensuing posts goes off rail).

-2023 production guidance lowered from 10,000 to 8,000-8,500 (at beginning of year, guidance was 12,000 for 2023)
-Loss $0.28/share on sale of $138M, beats analysts estimate $0.40/share from sale of $178M (less sales, less loss)
-Operating loss $753M, beats 830M analysts estimate (again, less production/sales, less loss)
-Q3 production 1,550 units that brings total production until end of Q3 to 6,000. This means they need to increase production to at least 2,000 for this last quarter to meet the revised guidence of 8,000.

Just a short OT update on Lucid with their Q3 reprot out today. (sorry if this is not the place for it, or ensuing posts goes off rail).

-2023 production guidance lowered from 10,000 to 8,000-8,500 (at beginning of year, guidance was 12,000 for 2023)
-Loss $0.28/share on sale of $138M, beats analysts estimate $0.40/share from sale of $178M (less sales, less loss)
-Operating loss $753M, beats 830M analysts estimate (again, less production/sales, less loss)
-Q3 production 1,550 units that brings total production until end of Q3 to 6,000. This means they need to increase production to at least 2,000 for this last quarter to meet the revised guidence of 8,000.
So this means that the TSLA share price will go down tomorrow?
/s

Preaching to the choir, I know, but Tesla vs Lucid at the same stage of existence

From
1699410310826.png

Am I understanding this correctly? I interpret this as MS's base case is 380 in 6 years. Barely 10% per year and lower than all time high of two years ago.
No, Since the price target doesn't say 2030 it's a 12 month price target.

It's easy to make that mistake since they are using 2030 numbers and working back to the 12 month target. But that is the math they are doing, they are saying if Tesla does X in 2030 then the price in 1 year should be Y.

All the discussion of the Roadster 202(X???) misses perhaps the single-most important reason (IMHO) to release it: Because they said they would. In fact, this applies to all the announced products Tesla has taken reservation monies for vs the endless discussion of the various products that Tesla could potentially make. To some degree, it's what causes some consternation when Tesla announces new products while not having delivered the products already announced many years ago.

In that frame of mind, here is a proposed priority order for the automotive side of Tesla:

1. CyberTruck delivery ramp over the next 12 months. This is only ranked #1 due to the impending launch and the expectation that within 6 months the CyberTruck can be manufactured on a true line (not just by hand), reasonably automated within 12 months.

2. Semi manufacturing on an automated assembly line within the next 12 months. As the 1 year anniversary of deliveries of hand-assembled semi trucks approaches, it is interesting that the quarterly report for 2022 Q4 mentioned the launch, listed it in pilot production, and included it in the disclaimer; 2023 Q1 and Q2 dropped the mention of the launch but kept the other two, and 2023 Q3 even excluded it from the disclaimer (most likely a typo, but still interesting). The sporadic bits of information which can be found don't portray a convincing image of an automated assembly line for significant manufacturing starting any time soon. There's precious little to even indicate material numbers have been hand-assembled since then on the existing line. Even in the worst-case scenario where for some reason Tesla has determined it is not ready for mass manufacturing, continuing to hand-assemble units would allow for greater internal learning / validations. These do not even need to be sent to external customers; Tesla can and should prioritize replacing their short-haul semis with Tesla semis ASAP; first for short routes, then for longer and routes as MegaChargers get deployed. When they are confident in the product and the automated assembly process, ship to external customers. But get building them again.

3. Roadster 2024 hand-built and delivered to external customers by Dec 31, 2024. These will likely never need to be built on an automated assembly line. The volume can be strictly limited, the price can be doubled and still sell out, etc. But a promise made is a promise to be kept.

To be clear: Yes, certainly plans can change...but unless and until Tesla removes these from the product roadmap, actually building the vehicles that they have announced, taken deposits / reservations on, etc, should be far higher priority than un-announced or announced-but-no-reservations-taken vehicles. The $25k vehicle will be nice, the robotaxi will be nice, and, yes, even a standard pickup truck body on an existing platform (S/X platform, perhaps) that could be built very quickly even if it doesn't have the towing / range / exoskeleton / extras of the CyberTruck would be nice. But deliver what has already been sold before anything else.

No, Since the price target doesn't say 2030 it's a 12 month price target.

It's easy to make that mistake since they are using 2030 numbers and working back to the 12 month target. But that is the math they are doing, they are saying if Tesla does X in 2030 then the price in 1 year should be Y.

Thanks for clearing that up. I presumed it was a 1 year SP, but all the mentions of 2030 made it somewhat ambiguous.

Glancing at my spreadsheet, it currently shows slightly less than their Base Case numbers for 2024, which offers some confirmation that my numbers are reasonable by comparison.

Though, I don't calculate for separate Bear, Base, and Bull cases. All I figure for is Basket Case. 🤷‍♂️

3. Roadster 2024 hand-built and delivered to external customers by Dec 31, 2024. These will likely never need to be built on an automated assembly line. The volume can be strictly limited, the price can be doubled and still sell out, etc. But a promise made is a promise to be kept.
Price dictates the volumes to some extent, not many will be able to afford it.

The rationale remains the same "hardcore smackdown of ICE cars", which helps sell all other Tesla cars. And also "why not?"

IMO there are 3 likely reasons why it has been pushed to the back of the queue:-
  1. Other products had a higher priority.
  2. Waiting for a specific battery type / energy density.
  3. Waiting on Gigacastings (with the casting machines to be shared with other models?).
Existing Plaid motors or some variant of them are likely good enough.

In low volumes the body can be carbon-fibre or something like that.

It can be low volumes something similar to unboxed. low automation, not much space required.

They would not want a conventional body shop with joined pieces of metal if they can avoid it, if they can start with castings the rest of the build is straight forward.

But when we do starting thinking about it, there are always more issues than we initially imagined, and we have barely scratched the surface.