Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Some complimentary comments to that

TLDR: Tesla would have considerably higher margins stuffing more cells in a Cybertruck and shipping only the highest range versions first and would still have an excess of cells
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've seen a lot of people saying they won't do a 500 mile Cybertruck right now because there isn't enough cell supply, I want to present an argument to the contrary, that maybe they will only make the 500 mile one at the start because it has higher margins and there is enough cell supply and they can't fit that many cells in it

For the last point, I think I posted many times that from napkin math there is plenty of room for a double stack pack that would easily allow 500+ miles of range

From Jordan video, Tesla will actually have to find places to put the 4680s, because they will have mountain sized piles of them

From my last speculation, a 500 mile one would need around 170 kWh pack at most. Today, Tesla is making at least 5 GWh/year of cells, there means that TODAY they could make 600 of those a week.

First, let's be optimistically and say they manage to ramp the line to the 125k/year in 12 months, at that run rate, they would need just 21.25 GWh/year, while Jordan production forecast that far in the future is 61 GWh/year, even if he is wrong by a lot, there would still be cells in excess. Watch the video if you haven't to see why they might have a excess cell problem

Now to cost and margins, first a few assumptions, 100$/kWh, 500 mile version 170 kWh pack, and 300 mile version 102 kWh pack. With that, the raw difference in cell costs between those two is $6800, but once you lay the IRA manufacturing incentive on top, it becomes $3740

From the unveil, the difference between the 300 mile version and the 500 mile one was $20k, so Tesla can pocket in the $16260 more by shipping the longest range version assuming all else stays the same

This is using my assumption of those two trims being dual motor, and a third being tri motor that has a bit less than 500 miles of range but likely even higher price

Last edited:
There is no way that delaying a mass market smaller car in favor of a sports car that will be produced in very limited quantities makes any sense.

In what ways do you feel any work on roadster (which would use different cells, had initial design work done as far as having a working prototype 6 years ago, and would mostly use different parts- as well as be built in a physically different factory by physically different employees, and with massively big margins, by a company with nearing 30 billion in cash on hand) would "delay" the 25k car?

The goods

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 08.00.32.png

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 08.07.28.png

Every time I see the structures that come out of the Gigapress, the civil engineer in me is happy to see the clear application of best engineering principles.
If you want to make a lightweight, but strong and stiff structure, a truss girder is the way to go.
A lot of steel bridges all over the world have been made with that same principle in mind.

Last edited:
In what ways do you feel any work on roadster (which would use different cells, had initial design work done as far as having a working prototype 6 years ago, and would mostly use different parts- as well as be built in a physically different factory by physically different employees, and with massively big margins, by a company with nearing 30 billion in cash on hand) would "delay" the 25k car?
In no ways. I'm reacting to a statement by someone claiming it should happen if it could happen. It's a pointless argument because the hypothetical delay of one project does not make sense nor ensure a faster development of another. This is for sure my last post on this topic, because its even more of a waste of time than most. :p

From Jordan video, Tesla will actually have to find places to put the 4680s, because they will have mountain sized piles of them

Giga Texas already has an installed, functioning GA line to produce the 4680 cell-based Model Y. It will be trivial to soak up any excess 4680 cell production, and keep 100% of the IRA production credits to boot. I think this was always the plan. ;)

I agree that Tesla should start CT production with the LR verion only (I wouldn't be surprise to see "Beast Model" only at the start). I don't think 170/100 would be the pack sizes. Imma guess more like 200/133 KWh but that's just me... ;)

I gave both of these a :D since on my computer they show up as a link. And when I click the X website wants me to create an account.

So I have no idea why these were posted.

A quick oneliner describing the purpose would be helpful when I try to decide if it's worth hunting down the content. Mostly I cannot be bothered chasing down naked links.

Or just create an X account which costs nothing so we don’t have to do extra work for a few people.
Tweet/article/other link can be deleted - some can be amended (and many articles/headlines are changed multiple times).

Having a one liner or small quote also helps finding the post on this site easier. It may also help the site get higher in search results.

Also one liners may save many people effort compared to a small amount more effort for a single person - the poster.

There may be occasions / localities where the linked article or post isn't available. Some USA websites ban UK/EU IP addresses (GDPR excuse), sometimes ban anyone outside USA or North America. Some work networks I've used have policies/filters that allow employees to surf web at lunchtime for example, but ban certain sites such as social media.

Twitter is banned in a few countries, has been temporarily banned in several more. With the world as it is, it's possible that some more will implement temporary bans, including large markets like the EU.

Therefore, I'll try to include summary info on links I use, but sometimes it's easy to miss when trying to post & distracted mid-flow.

Price limit for German EV company cars to access lower tax rate likely to be increased from 60,000 to 80,000 EUR next year, that should help with higher 3/Y trims or if prices are increased again:

More info on India market entry on moneycontrol.com, does anyone know that site? Says that it is likely that cars for India will come from Giga Berlin first because they don´t want made in China ones. Seems plausible but would treat it as rumor as of now. Hopefully we´ll know more after the meeting of Elon and the Indian commerce minister.

The plot thickens - journalists from India visited German car manufacturers association VDA last week..

Price limit for German EV company cars to access lower tax rate likely to be increased from 60,000 to 80,000 EUR next year, that should help with higher 3/Y trims or if prices are increased again:

Often Company Cars are status, hence many trim levels, models as a manager is expected to have a different car. Most sensible Company Cars might be Model Y Long Ranges (maximising employee availability, billable hours), getting a Model Y Performance/paint/wheels are the only upgrades and arguably a Long Range is a better car for the manager.

So, Tesla may offer higher trims - but how far are S & X from this limit now?

Reactions: hobbes and AZRI11
About to buy a MY LR in the phoenix area. there is very little inventory. I'm taking this as a positive sign. We will have to order one. 5 seater, White ext/ White Interior 19" wheels
Update. Almost took delivery on 11/7, but the hood was warped, leaving a bit of a bump at the front seal with the bumper. Plus some bubbles in the paint near the headlight. Would have been in the shop for 2 to 5 weeks. The bump in the hood worried me as to being bad at higher speeds on the highway. There is another vehicle in transit. So hopefully next week. Crossing my fingers on the next one not having issues. Other than that, the rest of the car was fine.