Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
USA new car market - "29% of all new vehicle purchases are all cash". 2.4 million new cars in inventory (up massively). Interest rates on dealers' stock very high (floorplan).
To a dealer, outside financing (like from a credit union) is cash.

On the Joe Rogan Experience podcast, Elon said:

"There are 3 demonstrations, one of which is emptying a tommygun into the side of the car. A shotgun, a .45 and a 9 mil"​

A "tommygun shoots .45 ACP cartridges., the shotgun is self-explanatory, and by "9 mil" he means 9mm pistol cartridge.

So that's the three demos he was referring to, and don't get too excited: these will be videos, not live demos.
I think you may be misgrouping, and that the guns are all part of one demonstration. Elon says 'I don't want to give it all away, there are three demonstrations, one that people are aware of ...'
The Tommy gun shoots .45 ACP, but is not what is normally called a 45 like a Colt or M1911A1 pistol.

Since the cells are cooled almost entirely via conductive heat transfer and not via radiative or convective cooling, the huge driver is surface area contact. (The amount of heat you can pull away is directly dependent on surface area).

Wrapping cooling ribbons around the sides of the cells allows for much more contact surface area than if you cooled just the top or bottom, therefore much more heat energy can be drawn away from the cells (or transferred to the cells in the case of a cold pack).
Critical to that idea is where the heat is generated. Pulling heat from a CPU die is more efficient than from the far end of the heat sink.
If heat traveled radially from jellyroll to shell, the sides would have a somewhat uniform thermal sinking capability. However, there is an airgap (at least when inserted), and the layers have thermal resistance so the main flow path (especially for the core) is down to the collector, then sideways to the can. As a result, the higher you go on the sides, the worse the thermal conductivity. The heat gradient may show the ribbon wall is a better conductor than the can wall.

The Poof is right here! The Plaid motor first teardown is Electrical!
(Anyone else have one of these?)
1700081232711.png

Reactions: 2daMoon
On the Joe Rogan Experience podcast, Elon said:

"There are 3 demonstrations, one of which is emptying a tommygun into the side of the car. A shotgun, a .45 and a 9 mil"​

A "tommygun" (Thompson sub-machinegun) shoots .45 ACP cartridges., the shotgun is self-explanatory, and by "9 mil" he means 9mm pistol cartridge.

So that's the three demos he was referring to, and don't get too excited: these will be videos, not live demos.
I think we've hashed this out before. It's unclear if he meant 3 different guns or that that there are 3 completely different demos, one of which involves guns.

I took it to mean that shooting up the truck is one demo that he said people already know about.

Elon said:
I don't want to give it all away. There are three demonstrations, one of which people are aware of, which is emptying a Tommy gun into the side of the car - a shotgun, a .45, and a 9 mil. And no penetrations."

I don't think he would have said he didn't want to give it all away and then immediately give it all away. This would mean there are two other demos the public is not aware of.

I also think it is unlikely that there will only be one demo that consists of a video showing gunshots. I'm sure they want to show off the Cybertruck's capabilities more than that.

But I guess either interpretation is possible.

As this is not investor related, and we are undoubtedly annoying others and the mods, let's choke this off right here, lest bad sentiments coil up and transform this into something it isn't at current.
Wholeheartedly agree; I will discharge that responsibility to the rest of you. My current advice is to keep it short.

To a dealer, outside financing (like from a credit union) is cash.

I think you may be misgrouping, and that the guns are all part of one demonstration. Elon says 'I don't want to give it all away, there are three demonstrations, one that people are aware of ...'
The Tommy gun shoots .45 ACP, but is not what is normally called a 45 like a Colt or M1911A1 pistol.
Amphibious plus crab walking?

More attempted bailouts for legacy auto?
No. According to the DOE press release, this is just an announcement of opportunity to apply for grants with budget that was authorized by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law that passed two years ago.

This funding opportunity is the second phase of $6 billion in total provided by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. In the first phase, DOE awarded fifteen projects that are catalyzing over $5.8 billion in public/private investment.

Also, $3.5B would be a tiny bailout anyway. Legacy American auto companies would probably need two orders of magnitude more financial support to survive.

I don't know Watt you guys are talking about.
I think Tesla's approach of reducing prices was probably the right thing. Legacy OEMs got used to selling high spec, higher=priced models at inflated prices. USA dealers did too. I can imagine a major crash for USA dealers and USA-selling OEMs. If Tesla can manufacture and deliver, and if people realise Tesla prices are lower than many poorer alternatives, then 2024 could be outstanding. USA Stellantis brands particularly bad (overpriced for their usual customers, highest stock levels).

USA new car market - "29% of all new vehicle purchases are all cash". 2.4 million new cars in inventory (up massively). Interest rates on dealers' stock very high (floorplan).
I do worry a bit about US makers putting EVs further on the back burner because of this. I know we have seen FUD come and go but there seems to be a new push to make EVs (and not just subsidies) a political issue here in the US.
No. According to the DOE press release, this is just an announcement of opportunity to apply for grants with budget that was authorized by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law that passed two years ago.

Also, $3.5B would be a tiny bailout anyway. Legacy American auto companies would probably need two orders of magnitude more financial support to survive.
2008 required about 80 billion and that wasn't due to a major shift in the business like we are seeing now, just poor management leading into a recession.

Reactions: ABCTG and GOVA