Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve no issue with that and I agree. What I disagree with is how it’s talked about and criticized - in general.

Cool... just that you lumped in @FastEddieB with @Webeevdrivers who emphsized the need to optimize for towing when he said:

It wouldn’t surprise me to see the first mod that many CT buyers do us to put a set of highly efficient pavement tires on the CT. Off road holds no interest for us for example. But trailer towing range does. I wonder how much more range a good set of EV tires would produce?

Why wouldn't the CT be for him?

One more post! After my daughter in Chicago was given an EV to rent on a recent business trip to New Jersey, and discovered after driving 20 miles that it only had 40 miles of charge left, I think the EV bug hit her. She had fun asking colleagues at work how and where to get a charge. She managed to return the car to the agency nearly full. Rather than discourage her, I think all of the cool new features of modern EVs and becoming familiar with the techniques of getting a charge, actually hooked her. Fast forward a month, she just ordered a model Y LR herself. And going back to inventory, they didn't have a blue exterior, white interior, with a tow hitch available (black interior yes, white, no). So once again - this points to lean inventory.
Very cool! When I had to first figure out charging (easy with Tesla SCs) I thoroughly enjoyed both the newness and the challenges ahead for charging. At the time, Mall chargers were always taken. So this made it like a game for me. (I soon realized I was worried about the wrong thing. It's the tires!!!)

This bug stems from a sailor type personality - up for some storm winds, full of stories from past adventures. I have it and so do many here that thrive from excitement of change, but not for everyone. I see Elon as very much one of these types to the extreme case - always ready, bored easily.

The hopes are that we don't run out of sailors before the interest rates come down. Otherwise... no pops. Do we have any Tesla registration data for US or the regions?

One more post! After my daughter in Chicago was given an EV to rent on a recent business trip to New Jersey, and discovered after driving 20 miles that it only had 40 miles of charge left, I think the EV bug hit her. She had fun asking colleagues at work how and where to get a charge. She managed to return the car to the agency nearly full. Rather than discourage her, I think all of the cool new features of modern EVs and becoming familiar with the techniques of getting a charge, actually hooked her. Fast forward a month, she just ordered a model Y LR herself. And going back to inventory, they didn't have a blue exterior, white interior, with a tow hitch available (black interior yes, white, no). So once again - this points to lean inventory.
It sounds like you're blessed to have a smart daughter.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see the first mod that many CT buyers do us to put a set of highly efficient pavement tires on the CT. Off road holds no interest for us for example. But trailer towing range does. I wonder how much more range a good set of EV tires would produce?
(No idea really).

Jmho.
There have been some examples with all seasons, even specifically marked for Cybertruck. I would think this would be the base offering for maximum range.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 12.15.17 PM.jpg

This "pop" may be exciting to day traders. Long term investors recall the stock has been to 250 something like 25 times over the past 2 years and was over 400 more than 2 years ago. I expect we will see excitement when it passes 450.
Yeah, I was reading the last five pages or so getting all excited about what the SP would be when checking afterwards.

In the good ol days 2% swings were more standard than not.

So, India market:

Does anyone have some good insight on the India market and how much potential there is for it to be a Tesla market? Obviously they have a huge population, but I'm not clear on the percentage of that population that are would-be Tesla buyers. How many vehicles, and what distribution are people thinking about 3/Y/S/X/others?

Seems like once the deal is penned Tesla may be able to start by importing 3/Y from Shanghai and S/X/etc. from the U.S.?--then switching to local production once the factory is ready?

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike Ambler
So, India market:

Does anyone have some good insight on the India market and how much potential there is for it to be a Tesla market? Obviously they have a huge population, but I'm not clear on the percentage of that population that are would-be Tesla buyers. How many vehicles, and what distribution are people thinking about 3/Y/S/X/others?

Seems like once the deal is penned Tesla may be able to start by importing 3/Y from Shanghai and S/X/etc. from the U.S.?--then switching to local production once the factory is ready?

It has always seemed to me the advantage of a factory in India would be as another Shanghai-like export center. They could easily serve Africa, Australia, Indonesia, and the Mid-East. And, could take up slack from Mexico in South America if needed.

Plus, all the production that can be sold locally.

So, India market:

India Giga will almost certainly be gen 3 only.

So, India market:

Lot of Pent up Demand in India market for EVs. Specially for smaller low cost car in smaller cities and towns. Big cities like New Delhi Mumbai Chennai Bengaluru Hyderabad Chandigarh Ahmedabad has unbelievable demand for high end EVs and that segment is ripe to be taken . Unfortunately Indian Government is averse to allowing Chinese imports and that’s been a big stumbling block . They are open to imports from Berlin and willing to offer lessening import tax duties for EVs. Govt prefers local manufacturing eventually .

We just need to HODL, waiting for that swell to carry us, hanging ten, toward the beach in high style.
Umbrellas in the drinks will be optional. 🍹

Yes, I am HODL’ing, but no, I will not wait.
This is what part of the result of HODL’ing looks like and where my wife and I often can be found till spring.
Goodbye grey skies, thank you TSLA.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 18.45.47.png

Cool... just that you lumped in @FastEddieB with @Webeevdrivers who emphsized the need to optimize for towing when he said:

Why wouldn't the CT be for him?
Do you not think Tesla hasn’t already considered what tires to put on the CT for efficiency, considering they have for every other vehicle?

I would venture that they’ve chosen/had designed the most optimal tire for CT for pickup truck utilization with efficiency in mind. Is there a tire with less aggressive tread that will provide better highway cruising, no towing situation, I just want to have a CT because I think it’s cool - maybe. And maybe that will be a tire option on the order page.

What percentage of ICE pickup buyers immediately think - I wonder if I can buy a more gas efficient tire for my truck? Like nobody ever said that, so why is it suddenly a thing for CT? Pickup truck tires are always more aggressive for many reasons and you know that. That’s why I lumped him in with Wee.

Do you not think Tesla hasn’t already considered what tires to put on the CT for efficiency, considering they have for every other vehicle?

I would venture that they’ve chosen/had designed the most optimal tire for CT for pickup truck utilization with efficiency in mind. Is there a tire with less aggressive tread that will provide better highway cruising, no towing situation, I just want to have a CT because I think it’s cool - maybe. And maybe that will be a tire option on the order page.

What percentage of ICE pickup buyers immediately think - I wonder if I can buy a more gas efficient tire for my truck? Like nobody ever said that, so why is it suddenly a thing for CT? Pickup truck tires are always more aggressive for many reasons and you know that. That’s why I lumped him in with Wee.

Giving that a like as at least on the original set of tires most would probably just run with stock rubber if they are reasonably efficient. But when it comes time for replacement many will and do go with a more task specific tire.

We are pavement queens and depending on the range of the version we get we would be the type that would switch them out from the git go if it meant another 5 to 10 percent of range. Our trailer is small but we travel a lot (retired) so it’s probably worth it for us.

We’ll all have to wait until we see what is offered on the website.

Cheers.

Lot of Pent up Demand in India market for EVs. Specially for smaller low cost car in smaller cities and towns. Big cities like New Delhi Mumbai Chennai Bengaluru Hyderabad Chandigarh Ahmedabad has unbelievable demand for high end EVs and that segment is ripe to be taken . Unfortunately Indian Government is averse to allowing Chinese imports and that’s been a big stumbling block . They are open to imports from Berlin and willing to offer lessening import tax duties for EVs. Govt prefers local manufacturing eventually .
And there have been more total millionaires in India than the US for something like 30 years (I believe, have always heard this, but haven’t seen recent data).

And there have been more total millionaires in India than the US for something like 30 years (I believe, have always heard this, but haven’t seen recent data).
Posting stuff like this without the simplest of searches is a favor to no one. Let's take a look at real numbers.

Country or
subnational area
Number of
millionaires
Share of
global
millionaires (%)
Percentage of
millionaires
(% of adult
population)
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States *
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China *
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan *
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom *
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France *
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany *
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada *
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png
Australia *
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy *
23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png
South Korea *
15px-Flag_of_Switzerland_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Switzerland *
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
Netherlands *
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain *
23px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China.svg.png
Taiwan *
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png
India *
23px-Flag_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png
Hong Kong

What percentage of ICE pickup buyers immediately think - I wonder if I can buy a more gas efficient tire for my truck? Like nobody ever said that, so why is it suddenly a thing for CT?

When I owned my truck and primarily used it for towing, not only were tires a consideration for me (not just fuel economy, but sidewall flex, traction, and longevity), but there were some pretty active discussions on the owners forums.

So, I think it's a meaningful enough percentage to not immediately think that somebody asking the question isn't necessarily a candidate for owning the truck.

Pickup truck tires are always more aggressive for many reasons and you know that. That’s why I lumped him in with Wee.

Sure, it's why I said "they have to be generalized to do any [of the tasks I had mentioned]". It certainly doesn't preclude somebody wanting to improve the aspects they most utilize, especially for something with a regular replacement interval like tires...