Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alexandra Merz (@TeslaBoomerMama) lays down the smak on the current (remaining) crop of TSLA short hedge funds. Turns out (as of Q3 2023), the largest offender holder of naked Put positions was a little-known NYC/Delaware/Cayman Islands Hedge fund called "Sessa" (set saail, BABY!)

EXCLUSIVE: Blowing the Lid Off TESLA’s Short Sellers w/Alexandra Merz | Brighter w. Herbert (1 hr ago)

EDIT: Ninja'd by @Christine69420

Side-burn to shortzes for calling out Retail investors! Who's stank now? :p

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
I've always wondered why they Tesla doesn't progressively extend power train and battery warrantys as the reliability grows, mostly for marketing purposes, and just because they can. Retroactively to older models, even more impressive.
Yeah, or some form of 'warranty refund' if you don't need service. Either way, it's building brand loyalty, and a far more effective means of advertizing.

What a great smack down to ICE and unwarranted fears of replacing expensive battery packs. I'm pretty sure that very few new car buyers think about the plastics and peripherals degrading after 15-25 years, but simple drive train years and miles are the simplest measure of reliability you could ask for.
@Elon did you catch this? ;)

WORD! :D

Has anyone seen FOMO?
I could have sworn they would be here by now...

¡Hola! :D

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-11-27.12-45.png

1701108222956.png

Quote: With lithium supply growing more next year, we are likely going to see prices falling further

Battery prices dropped 14% from last year:

Another FUD piece, this time an editorial written by someone with no fossil fuel agenda/S

(Paywalled, Toronto Globe and Mail)

Well, they’ve got SOME kind of agenda. The link doesn’t carry me there so I cant read the exact wording but right off the top, the 2021 figures they cite aren’t even vaguely pertinent.
The following, however, is:

Canadian electric vehicle registrations inching closer to Liberal government’s target​

THE CANADIAN PRESS
PUBLISHED AUGUST 3, 2023

Statistics Canada published updated registration numbers on Wednesday for January, February and March, when 30,533 battery-only and plug-in hybrid vehicles were registered. That amounted to 8.6 per cent of vehicles registered in those months.
That was an improvement over the same three months in 2022, when 26,018 EVs were registered, or 7.7 per cent of the total. But it was down from the fall of 2022, when 33,399 new electric vehicles were registered, or 9.6 per cent of the total.
The fall was the best quarter for EV registrations to date, inching closer to the milestone where one in every 10 vehicles added to Canada’s roads are powered by batteries. But Canada wants that to be one in five vehicles by 2025, and more than one-in-two by 2030. By 2035 the goal is that no passenger vehicles sold will have combustion engines.

View attachment 994122
Quote: With lithium supply growing more next year, we are likely going to see prices falling further

Battery prices dropped 14% from last year:

Yeah, this is classic commodity market behavior. Chinese govt was goosing the lithium market last year through production and refining subsidies and govt loans, you had supply chain disruptions, and all the OEM EV makers were paying through the nose to buy batteries. This year, supply chain woes have eased, all that Chinese processing/supply has come onto the market (as well as extra Australian supply). Both the US and Chinese economies have slowed down, resulting in less demand, and EV sentiment in the US auto OEMS has reversed.

So we are in a temporary commodity glut right now. What will be telling early next year is if junior mining producers can get funding for their projects and/or if the existing producers continue to fund expansion. They all should, but whether the finance market agrees is another question. If the lithium market overreacts by delaying new production, then we'll get yet another price spike.

None of this matters too much for Tesla since they are big enough and smart enough to lock in long term price contracts. That chart above is spot pricing, so it really only affects the margin of the market. What the majority of the producers get and what the battery producers pay is largely unknown since those are all private long term contracts.

Yeah, or some form of 'warranty refund' if you don't need service. Either way, it's building brand loyalty, and a far more effective means of advertizing.

@Elon did you catch this? ;)

WORD! :D
For an even better win-win, Tesla could offer reasonably priced extended warranties for existing owners of certain models, doing what you suggested while still bringing in a little more revenue.

For an even better win-win, Tesla could offer reasonably priced extended warranties for existing owners of certain models, doing what you suggested while still bringing in a little more revenue.
Right $2500 for a four year warranty with $500 each time you bring it in is not enticing at all. (Unless the terms have changed from what I remember).

I must admit, 2023 has not gone the way I expected it to for Tesla. Even my conservative estimates at the start of the year were not this low, I just never saw them lowering the boom on prices and margins the way they did.

Ah well, it is what it is! :cool:

This year's profits will matter as much to Tesla as 1998 profits mattered to Apple. Destroying the competition right now is what matters. As the EV market matures there will be no new entrants as the barriers to entry become too high, just like happened in the ICE vehicle market. Competition destroyed now before it gets a foothold will never return. The market doesn't understand this so they whine about a year or two of lower margins.

I must admit, 2023 has not gone the way I expected it to for Tesla. Even my conservative estimates at the start of the year were not this low, I just never saw them lowering the boom on prices and margins the way they did.

Ah well, it is what it is! :cool:
My only concern about the price drop was that they may have blown their wad all at once with that huge drop at the beginning of the year. We've seen a bit more since then, but if 2024 does end up with a material recession, not a lot of ammo left...

This article doesn't paint a pretty picture of how this looks (image) for Tesla in Sweden...

Instead, around 90 percent of Swedish workers are covered by collective agreements, a type of contract that regulates the relationship between employers and their employees, including pay, pensions, and working hours.
We note that Tesla has chosen to take the long route, starting legal proceedings,” says Veli-Pekka Säikkälä, national bargaining secretary at IF Metall. “There is a simple and quick way to solve this situation, and that is to sign a collective agreement. As soon as Tesla does that, the conflict ends.”

Last edited by a moderator: