Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marques half-heartedly mentioned that the back window does not go down. This will be a real negative. A BIG negative if you planned to camp IN it. And a large percentage did.
THERE IS NO OVERNIGHT OR GLAMPING CONSIDERATION IN THE DESIGN. PERIOD. Every other Tesla is better for road trip camping than the cyber(Nota)truck. The tent option is pure HS. $3K for an unsecured awkward tent?... You might as well just get a great tent for less than $500. But you can do that kind of camping with any electric vehicle that has a 120 outlet.
Four years ago I signed up for a cyber NOTA truck because I envisioned it being a step forward into the Tesla camping aspect. It 's bed is called a damn BED!
And since the minimal amount of through space was expected to be a window that went down some of us were hoping for a brushed stainless camper shell to make the Cyber "livable." But at least the bed was going to get some AC. Now you can't even have your dogs in the bed with the window down. Not cool (pun intended)
Yes you could sleep on the back floorboard if you aren't 6ft. I am over 6ft.
And 2 people can't sleep on the floorboard.

After the Carmudgeon video I was psyched to get mine.
I never thought they would make the bed unliveable. They engineered/designed the bed to the least it can possibly be...a closet.
Love the electric improvements, love the steering. I WILL BE ABLE TO GET ALL OF THOSE IN THE NEXT Y. The BED was the big thing that the design and engineering teams had that was new.... and they put a dumb ss sliding tonneau cover on it. That looks stupid as well.and that tonneau cover delivers less and cost a boatload.
Now all the TSLA fanbois can give me a thumbs down for giving some REAL insight into the shortcoming of the cyber NOTA. You're blinded buy the fear of your stock dropping. If I had money in TSLA I'd be sad too.
A LOT of good things...but nothing that makes the cyber(NOTA)truck camp able except the clearance.
Seriously or your account got hacked?

It doesn’t have to be all that remote…

Earlier this week I had a Dr appointment in Jasper, GA, about 130 miles each way from the Knoxville area. Left home in our M3LR with 97% charge. Temps in the 40’s. After the appointment the car showed 9% remaining at home. Anyway, I got home with about 14% and 35 miles remaining. A bailout would have necessitated a pretty significant detour to Chattanooga.

A good case for long range. The area between Knoxville, TN and N GA is a bit of a Supercharger desert:

53364060271_45d56767cc_z.jpg

As a further aside, at least one Supercharger is sorely needed along the 4-lane that runs from Ball Ground to Jasper to Ellijay to Blue Ridge to Blairsville. Lots of Atlanta folks travel that route to the GA mountains and beyond.
For the weak TSLA fanbois, YOu do not want to read my reply:
Your argument will only be valid for months not years. The SuperCharger network is not going to focus on making the current superchargers larger, but on creating more super charger sites. The major thoroughfares will be lined with SCs.

Marques half-heartedly mentioned that the back window does not go down. This will be a real negative. A BIG negative if you planned to camp IN it. And a large percentage did.
THERE IS NO OVERNIGHT OR GLAMPING CONSIDERATION IN THE DESIGN. PERIOD. Every other Tesla is better for road trip camping than the cyber(Nota)truck. The tent option is pure HS. $3K for an unsecured awkward tent?... You might as well just get a great tent for less than $500. But you can do that kind of camping with any electric vehicle that has a 120 outlet.
Four years ago I signed up for a cyber NOTA truck because I envisioned it being a step forward into the Tesla camping aspect. It 's bed is called a damn BED!
And since the minimal amount of through space was expected to be a window that went down some of us were hoping for a brushed stainless camper shell to make the Cyber "livable." But at least the bed was going to get some AC. Now you can't even have your dogs in the bed with the window down. Not cool (pun intended)

I never thought they would make the bed unliveable. They engineered/designed the bed to the least it can possibly be...a closet.
Love the electric improvements, love the steering. I WILL BE ABLE TO GET ALL OF THOSE IN THE NEXT Y. The BED was the big thing that the design and engineering teams had that was new.... and they put a dumb ss sliding tonneau cover on it. That looks stupid as well.and that tonneau cover delivers less and cost a boatload.
Now all the TSLA fanbois can give me a thumbs down for giving some REAL insight into the shortcoming of the cyber NOTA. You're blinded buy the fear of your stock dropping. If I had money in TSLA I'd be sad too.
A LOT of good things...but nothing that makes the cyber(NOTA)truck camp able except the clearance.
The tent is securely mounted to the bed rails and suspended over the cargo area (and past it, unless I'm seeing wrong). Cybertruck also has a tent mode (whatever that does).
https://shop.tesla.com/product/cybertruck-basecamp

by 2025 it's gonna have a built-in basement and laundry room. You just need to wait.

Marques half-heartedly mentioned that the back window does not go down.

Having thought about this very thing while there yesterday, here's a photo I took of the back window installation.

BackGlass.jpg

It is so simple, sitting in a cuff at the bottom edge and being glued in place around the edges, I think it will lend itself easily to later upgrades that would let the glass retract, or, be removable.

Here's another view.

BackView.jpg

There appears to be adequate room for it in the space between the back wall and where the roll-down bed cover retracts to roll up at the base of the back wall to allow a future version to store the glass there. If not there, it could just as easily be mounted on the inside of that back wall and retract behind the seat.

There could be an aftermarket version of this made available which will retract/store the window to allow Camp Mode to heat/chill the sleeping compartment.

Those two black vent panels in the back wall could also be made to go through to the sleeper as a way to move conditioned air from cabin to bed. It does appear there may be a few different ways to solve this without much trouble.

It is certainly nothing for anyone other than an early adopter to get their knickers in a twist over.

Please accept my apologies for taking a positive and upbeat slant on your rant. ;)

Having thought about this very thing while there yesterday, here's a photo I took of the back window installation.

It is so simple, sitting in a cuff at the bottom edge and being glued in place around the edges, I think it will lend itself easily to later upgrades that would let the glass retract, or, be removable.

Here's another view.

There appears to be adequate room for it in the space between the back wall and where the roll-down bed cover retracts to roll up at the base of the back wall to allow a future version to store there. If not there, it could just as easily be mounted on the inside of that back wall and retract behind the seat.

There could be an aftermarket version of this made available which will retract/store the window to allow Camp Mode to heat/chill the sleeping compartment.

Those two black vent panels in the back wall could also be made to go through to the sleeper as a way to move conditioned air from cabin to bed. It does appear there may be a few different ways to solve this without much trouble.

It is certainly nothing for anyone other than an early adopter to get their knickers in a twist over.

Please accept my apologies for taking a positive and upbeat slant on your rant. ;)
Man, I loved your take, and insight. If the "durn" window was on a piano hinge I'd have been happy. But for Elon to NOT even make the smallest effort?

At least a laundry room would increase the functionality.
BTW, we over on the other thread had been buying puts for 2 weeks so I'm definitely not "blinded buy the fear" of my stock dropping. I'm here to tell you that your needs make up maybe 0.01% of the market Tesla is trying to address with this truck. No need to go ballistic since nobody really care if you're not gonna buy it. Please stop acting like a child.

Last edited:
Man, I loved your take, and insight. If the "durn" window was on a piano hinge I'd have been happy. But for Elon to NOT even make the smallest effort?

Maybe the "effort" was in leaving it until later? ...or, in leaving it for an aftermarket supplier.

Consider how they removed the adjustable passenger lumbar seats, there may not be a need for every CT to have this feature. Best part is no part and all that.

Who knows how many ideas they have for future versions already worked out to introduce the New and Improved CT in a year or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: FastCompany

Here's another view.

There appears to be adequate room for it in the space between the back wall and where the roll-down bed cover retracts to roll up at the base of the back wall to allow a future version to store the glass there. If not there, it could just as easily be mounted on the inside of that back wall and retract behind the seat.

Did you go to Austin? If so, do you know if they offer any tour of the factory on a routine basis?

Did you go to Austin? If so, do you know if they offer any tour of the factory on a routine basis?

I was there, and I seriously doubt they could offer tours while the line is running. There was no mention of routine tours at all.

For yesterday, the robot assemblers were operational, but running in a mode where they swung through their range of operation. No vehicles were moving down the line. They were staged to demonstrate individual operations at each station.

For all the people upset at no 500mile range, you do realize your need to go 500miles WITHOUT STOPPING is a niche thing yes?
Sure, there may be 5% of potential buyers who for some reason genuinely need a 500 mile range pikcup truck. Thats fine, but I'd rather Tesla make a decent, affordable truck for the other 95%.
I have a 2022 model Y performance. If you tried to sell me an extra 50 miles for $1,000 I wouldn't click buy. The range is good enough, MORE than good enough for my needs. I don't think I'm a rarity.
Dont forget, tesla have driving metrics on ALL its customers. They have hard data on how many super-long roadtrips people actually take...
You forget 500 mile range become 250 when towing even a medium sized trailer something MANY people do with trucks. Just stop by any National Park camp ground or KOA. So with the 350 mile range you drop under 200 miles when towing. And many buy a truck for towing.

Attachments

• New_River_Trail (2).JPG
    New_River_Trail (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: jerry33 and bpjod
You forget 500 mile range become 250 when towing even a medium sized trailer something MANY people do with trucks. Just stop by any National Park camp ground or KOA. So with the 350 mile range you drop under 200 miles when towing. And many buy a truck for towing.
I have no doubt there are many people towing, in nominal term. What does that look like in % term?

Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 5.33.57 PM.png

Mr. Market reacted like the Cybertruck First Deliveries Event didn't even happen. Mr. Market didn't get it at the Reveal four years ago (neither did I), and Mr. Market certainly is still not getting it. The difference is that thanks to TMC, I get it now. Mr. Market will eventually catch up with us, and when it does, we will be rewarded handsomely. Colour me very impressed with the Cybertruck, far above my expectations.