Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's steer by wire, break by wire, throttle by wire, everything by wire. Clearly discussed in the Hagerty video but I think it's been covered elsewhere as well.

Literally everything on the cybertruck from the breaks to the speakers is on the same CAN network running at GB speeds.
🤣🤣 Brake or brakes when it comes to vehicle brakes. Breaks when it comes to “the price of that new CyberTruck just breaks the bank”.

And so on. I’ll let myself out.

Edit: @dhanson865 already caught it.

Just a thought regarding the range discussion: perhaps it is best to assume that most here have a good understanding of what their particular reed for range is. Perhaps it is towing, or weather, or destination, or other factors…but presumably by now everyone here is familiar enough with Tesla vehicles, SuperChargers, and their own situation to make an intelligent assessment of what *their* range needs are. Instead of trying to argue why someone’s “need” isn’t valid, or they should do something different or be OK with something different, just acknowledge that they have needs which are different than yours. At @TN Mtn Man correctly points out, it’s a lifestyle choice, and telling others how they should live theirs does not work as well as actually listening to what they want even if it is different than what we might want or might do. Understand that the currently-being-built CT will work well for some and will not yet work well for others, instead of arguing why those in the latter need to change or think differently and move to the former instead of the product evolving to their needs.
Great observation, but don’t underestimate the ignorance (having no actual subject matter knowledge of) of the crowd out there…

At my weekly euchre game this week, when I mentioned the CyberTruck, I got a blank stare from the three other folks at my table.

After explaining what it was, the first question was, “How much will it cost to replace the battery in eight years?”

Right after that question, came the, “So how many chargers are there (in Ottawa)?”

And to round things out, came the inevitable, “That Hyundai owner was quoted $50,000 by the dealership to replace his battery…”, which devolved into the standard 2023 human interaction practice of plugging one’s ears and saying, “la la la I don’t hear you”.

Truck bed for me, too. I’ve also been thinking about a DIY contraption in the second row for a single sleeper — to benefit from climate control, and since all gear and luggage can obviously go in the truck bed. Do we have the internal dimensions of the second row yet?
I’m waiting for someone to take a saws-all to the sheet metal behind the rear seats to create a pass through.

Obviously, make those cuts with the articulating tonneau cover closed and add rubber trim to the cut edges so nobody gets hurt going back and forth between the cab and the box.

Update the software and/or wire in a kill switch so the tonneau cover will not act as a guillotine when “camp mode” is employed. 🤷‍♂️

I’m waiting for someone to take a saws-all to the sheet metal behind the rear seats to create a pass through.

Obviously, make those cuts with the articulating tonneau cover closed and add rubber trim to the cut edges so nobody gets hurt going back and forth between the cab and the box.

Update the software and/or wire in a kill switch so the tonneau cover will not act as a guillotine when “camp mode” is employed. 🤷‍♂️
Seems like with the truck bed 120v outlets and rather small space a simple plug in heater would be a much easier solution.

Trying to change the subject——- Does anybody know how Fremont is getting along with the changeover to Highland?
No information that I have seen but it would just make sense to do the changeover in Q1. It's the slowest quarter so you minimize lost sales when production is down/slowed for the changeover. Also it looks the tax credit is being reduced to $3750 for model 3, the new design will help drive demand even with a reduced credit for next year.

I like the cybertruck & leaning towards getting one as a 4 passenger truck would be pretty useful for me.

As an investor I really don't see that stainless was worth the added manufacturing weight, cost and ramp issues. It isn't clear to me of how much is gained by having the exterior shell provide crash impact vs. larger body with more traditional stamped steel / aluminum.

Watching the interview with Lars and Frank on TopGear and they talked about being able to remove interior structure based on use of SS. Really illuminating.

Weekend Tesla-Revenue-Enhancing post:

Got Gus his Xmas present yesterday.
IMG_2825.jpeg

I solemnly promise not to use it before he gets the chance😁

One thing I commented on earlier is how we tend to be guilty of looking at things that are issues for us and discounting what might be a big deal to others-and I'm as guilty as anyone of that. One issue I am disappointed with is shortening the bed down to 6'-IMO 6.5-7 foot is more useful, you can use the bed to camp/sleep in with a canopy (if you're a westerner) or cap/topper (for easterners). And a little extra length helps for carrying an ATV/UTV or motorcycle. I don't care about fitting in a 20' garage-I designed a bigger garage to handle a bigger truck. But-while not a factor for me-it probably is for others. How many here see fitting into a small garage as a significant benefit? How many wouldn't buy a truck if you couldn't?

I don't care about fitting in a 20' garage-I designed a bigger garage to handle a bigger truck. But-while not a factor for me-it probably is for others. How many here see fitting into a small garage as a significant benefit? How many wouldn't buy a truck if you couldn't?
Garage space would be a deal breaker ... for me (and I guess) a lot of others in expensive places which tend to have most Tesla customers.

One thing I commented on earlier is how we tend to be guilty of looking at things that are issues for us and discounting what might be a big deal to others-and I'm as guilty as anyone of that. One issue I am disappointed with is shortening the bed down to 6'-IMO 6.5-7 foot is more useful, you can use the bed to camp/sleep in with a canopy (if you're a westerner) or cap/topper (for easterners). And a little extra length helps for carrying an ATV/UTV or motorcycle. I don't care about fitting in a 20' garage-I designed a bigger garage to handle a bigger truck. But-while not a factor for me-it probably is for others. How many here see fitting into a small garage as a significant benefit? How many wouldn't buy a truck if you couldn't?
I’m in the “if it don’t fit you must cancel”. Not everyone can just build a bigger garage. And I hate cleaning snow off cars. Garage or bust.

Now the dust has settled I think we probably aren't celebrating some of the stuff we now know enough,
  • Vehicle to Home in Tesla vehicles is now a thing. In an impressive way. My home battery only delivers 3.6kw power here...
  • 48v is an actual real thing in a Tesla vehicle now!
  • 0-60 performance on the CT is frankly insane. Way better than I was expecting

I expected a big drop in the SP in the day after deliveries, because Wall st is always trying to do that to Tesla. In fact, this did not happen.
I think the next few weeks will be very good for the SP. Will we see $300 this year? If not, how long? I think Q4 numbers might be good, maybe $300 in Jan?

Fair point. I would then ask, was the .3 or .33 Cd recorded by Rivian tested before or After they tossed out the (at release) Tonneau cover? My guess is Before. That missing standard would absolutely change that result.
It would be great if the comparisons all had the same number of significant digits.Does .3 mean .3000 or is it rounded to .3?

Reactions: kbM3 and Drumheller
What's a fair interpretation of what the rear wheels are doing here? Might turning the rear wheels going into a frontal crash help redirect forces in collision? That is, is this intentional? Or is the axle breaking unintentionally?
Cybertruck doesn't have a solid rear axle to break. The rear links or tie rods are yielding (likely designed to).

In terms of energy dissipation, it's better to have the wheels splay and drag rather than passing all their momentum and rotary interia into the chassis where it needs to be dissipated by the crumple zone.