Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some must wonder how Mr. Al Root still has a job, oh wait..it is probably because of prize winning articles like this one. Someone please send him an email to let him know to grammar check his articles before being publishing them..PLEASE!!

Paywalled but this is all you need to know:

1701813746102.png

Some must wonder how Mr. Al Root still has a job, oh wait..it is probably because of prize winning articles like this one. Someone please send him an email to let him know to grammar check his articles before being publishing them..PLEASE!!

Paywalled but this is all you need to know:

View attachment 996747
I like the headline! Where's the grammatical error though? I found one in your post, but not the snippet.

From what was revealed in Walter Isaacson's book, it sounds like Elon loved the looks of the Gen 3 and thought it was futuristic.

But from what Elon revealed today, he thinks the coolest part is the manufacturing process.

Will they be spitting out a Gen 3 every 15 seconds? Maybe. Don't bet against Elon.

I’m thinking 6 seconds. Elon likes orders of magnitude and 10 a minute makes for easy math. Yeah I know, setting myself up for disappointment.

On the other hand. Unpainted removes the biggest constraint. The line could be designed for two speeds - initial human mode and ultimate Optimus mode.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
There's no point having a really high volume production line unless you can sell the cars, and to sell the cars, they need to hit a particular low price target. So my further prediction about Model 2 is that it'll come in ONE drivetrain (only one motor) and ONE battery pack size (250 miles). Consequently it will have ONE price (except for paint/wheel options, etc), meaning there won't be a high trim, more expensive model sold first.
I think this would be a mistake. As myself and other european posters on here often mention, part of the appeal of a model 2 will be size. I would pay MORE for my model Y to be smaller. That makes it much more drivable in the UK. Large meaning premium is more of a North American thing.
Someone like me is happy to pay £71k for a Tesla, but would prefer a small one. Its leaving money on the table if they don't make a sporty, upmarket trim for the model 2.

GA3 at Giga Texas has no paint shop. Gen 3 will not have conventional autopaint (Tom Zhu, Mar 3, 2023: "Paint is expensive"). Optional body colors will most likely be provided via a wrap, and most likely as an add-on, after-the-sale purchase.

$100 says the "model 2" will indeed be painted. USD, payable in Dogecoin or cash. ;)

Hey, I'm just going by what this random dude named Elon was quoted as saying in the Q3 2024 conference call:

"Just to be clear, it will be cool, but it's utilitarian. It's not meant to, you know, fill you with magic. It's to get you from A to B. It will be still beautiful, but it's utility."

So if we're parsing words here: Elon didn't say it would be cool-looking, only that it would be cool. A $25K utilitarian car will be cool just because of the price. And of course, it'll have Tesla styling. But my POINT is that the big thing about the Model 2 will be its PRICE.

While Tesla could do the same thing it has always done and do a reveal of what will be a utilitarian car with nothing too special about it and give some fake price than everyone knows isn't locked in and risk not getting any enthusiasm about it at all, OR it can do a reveal with a firm price and they'll get tons of orders.

Anyways, that's my bet.
I think what the Cybertruck has shown us is that Tesla "cool" is less and less about adding cool things. It's about eliminating uncool (unnecessary) things. This is, of course, both cool and cost-effective (repeat after me: "the best part is no part at all")
  • No door handles (keys are long gone)
  • No steering column (stalks are long gone, drive-by-wire)
  • No 12 V battery
  • No spaghetti-wiring (Ethernet)
  • No fixed rear axel
  • No uncovered bed
  • No testo-grill (clean slope with 1 wiper)
  • (What'd I miss?)
We should have a poll about what they'll remove (to save costs) on the M2!
  • No steering wheel (optional hide)
  • No mirrors
  • No pedals (optional hide)
  • No "rear seat" (back-to-back for compact aerodynamics)
  • ???

$100 says the "model 2" will indeed be painted. USD, payable in Dogecoin or cash. ;)
Perhaps they will give every new owner a spray can of Rustoleum to do it themselves? The White color will be free, but charge $1000 for Black and $2000 for a can of red or blue.

Perhaps they will give every new owner a spray can of Rustoleum to do it themselves? The White color will be free, but charge $1000 for Black and $2000 for a can of red or blue.
Rust-Oleum is pretty high end stuff. As a shareholder, I'd prefer a more budget oriented rattle can. Maybe Walmart house brand. Oh wait, maybe not Walmart....

Took a screenshot of a Netflix movie trailer on TikTok. No idea where to post it (sorry mods 😬 )

But that sure is a lot of damaged Model 3s and Model Ys. I assume these are crash test cars, since they are all white, the cheapest color.

I hope it’s not a bash Tesla movie.

View attachment 996780
Just watched the trailer. Movie is about a mysterious blackout/cyberattack of some sort. There's a scene of I guess the cyberattack took control of the Teslas and were used as ramming/suicide cars without a driver against the protagonist.

Rust-Oleum is pretty high end stuff. As a shareholder, I'd prefer a more budget oriented rattle can. Maybe Walmart house brand. Oh wait, maybe not Walmart....
Ok, so the white can be generic, but I think if someone is paying $1000 or more for a can of paint they should get a name brand that won't run in the first rain. Just think how people could customize their cars so they can find it in a mall parking lot full of white Model 2s. You can recognize your car by the distinct drip lines on the door. Or maybe by the spot you missed so you can see the bare metal. I see this being one of the Tesla innovations that Ford and GM will gladly steal for themselves since they can't match any of Tesla's others.

• Funny
Reactions: SmokyPeat
The new Munro Live interview with Elon and Sandy brought out some notable nuggets (links below w. time indices). Cybertruck was announced in 2019, production was expected in 2021 or so, but then:

Elon: 3 reasons why CT was 'de-late' (22:09)
  • World-wide pandemic
  • Global chip shortage
  • Shortage of so many parts
Then Elon reiterated his Standing Order: "it would be irrelevant for us to bring to market a car for which we simply do not have the parts to make".

Sandy asks Elon about the Gen 3 car (29:57)

Elon began with the standard corporate-speak disclaimer that he can not discuss material non-public information, which is to say "Volume and Base" (presumably base pricing). Though disappointed, Sandy was ready to move on when Elon offered other important new info on Gen 3 plans and progress: (31:02)
  • "I can say a little about... I just can't tell you Unit volume and base, then that is projecting the Financials"
  • "We are working on a low-cost electric vehicle that will be made in very high volume"
  • "We're quite far advanced in that I review the production line plans for that every week"
  • "I think the revolution in manufacturing that will be represented by that car will blow people's minds"
  • "I should point out that we will be making the 1st production line here in Giga Texas, in this facility" (32:25)
  • "That [Mexico] will be the second place".

Sandy: Guns, guitars, and the 3rd World War (38:18)

Gust 2 old guys chewing the fat, glorifying the past, worrying about the future: great stuffage... :D

Bonus conjecture: "Cybertruck will be remembered as the grandfather of the Tesla supersonic VTOL jet. Sandy Munro will be it's Great Uncle." Discuss. ;)

Last edited: