Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Megapactory Shanghai was announced on Apr 09, 2023: (10K Megapacks/year capacity, cloning Lanthrop)

Tesla Could Double Net Income! | Farzad Mesbahi (Apr 13, 2023)

BTW, recent drone videos from Wu Wa show that the plot of land to the SE of Giga Shanghai Phase 2 has now been cleared and graded, obviously ready for new building construction.

Cheers!
Hadn’t realized the 10,000 mega packs/year; Elon did say storage or energy will be as big as auto, this is HUGE. Do we expect Lanthrop to grow that big?

I’ve clicked back several posts and can’t figure out which deleted feature we’re discussing.???

Hdw-based ultra-sonic-sensors (USS) were taken out of new 3/Y production in Oct 2022 before the Tesla Vision based software was at an equivalent level of performance. Some think this is the end of the world, Management is to blame, and will not let go. Others think its a snag like many others that came up in the course of the supply shortage, and is being used as an attack vector by bears (even though it is not material to Tesla's financial performance).

Last edited:
Rivian R1T has 300 miles range on its 135 KWh battery, compared to Cybertruck at 340 miles on 122 KWh. And R1T has smaller tires, and a smaller payload.

And it won't matter on Mars (or on the Moon). Cybertruck (SpaceX ed.) is the official Mars Rover. NASA will likely use them on the Moon/Artimus.

How much this that worth in PR? Ask any boomer who watched the Apollo lunar rover drive around on the Moon.

View attachment 997516

Cheers to the SpaceX Martians! (powered by Tesla)

Do we actually know the EPA range of the CT dual motor yet? Rivian numbers are usually pretty realistic. Tesla numbers are typically high.

I don’t think anyone has done any real world tests yet on the 10 deliveries, and deliveries seem to have completely ceased. I suspect we won’t see more deliveries till sometimes in first quarter 2024.

Reactions: navguy12
10,000 mega packs/year; ... Do we expect Lanthrop (sp.) to grow that big?

Yes, and it's already half-way there. Construction on the 2nd line at Lathrop 'Megapactory' (h/t, Brian White) began in Q4, and is just a clone of the 1st line (beauty of modular production lines).

FYI, Bradford Ferguson (on Youtube, X.com and at "Disruptive Investing") follows Megapack production and financials closely.

Met God in Wilderness channel on Youtube does regular (~weekly) drone flights over Lathrop, often showing 200-300+ finished Megapacks in the outbound logistics lots waiting to be delivered.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Also, who is going to make the non rubber tires for mars? Really.

You mean airless tires for Mars? NASA (and others) are working on it. This article is from Teslarati blog:

Tesla Tire Costs 10× Battery Cost, & My Plan To Deflate Tire Costs 90%

I hope there will be some spinoff benefits for future Robotaxi's by improving cost, durability and longevity. This video from 4 yrs ago introduces the topic:

How Tesla & Elon Musk Will Revolutionize another industry! (tires) | Simulation Studios (Feb 07, 2020)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Screenshot_20231208_080533_X.jpg

There you have it. Also, @Krugerrand do you play chess? If not, would you like to learn?

Maybe that's why Tesla sent around "How-to-build-a-48v-car For Dummies"? To prevent intrepid OEMs from working on a divergent, only twofold improvement in wiring, like the current airline industry, and instead spur them to the quadruple improvement 48v Tesla is betting on.
If it affects this or next quarter's profits, it's doubtful they will do more than virtue signal.

Do we actually know the EPA range of the CT dual motor yet? Rivian numbers are usually pretty realistic. Tesla numbers are typically high.

I don’t think anyone has done any real world tests yet on the 10 deliveries, and deliveries seem to have completely ceased. I suspect we won’t see more deliveries till sometimes in first quarter 2024.

340 miles is the EPA range, many doesn't know that, but Tesla has it's own validation lab (as some other OEMs), the EPA doesn't test every single vehicle, the manufacturer do and send all the data for the EPA for approval, right now this is the ranges

Cybertruck Dual Motor:
Street tires - 340 miles
All terrain tires - 318 miles

Cybertruck Beast:
Street tires - 320 miles
All terrain tires - 301 miles

I think that 301 miles is the why of many changes, such as the huge diffuser on the rear that eats on the departure angle, they didn't want any configuration to have sub 300 miles to no be bellow the 300+ miles from years ago

Hdw-based ultra-sonic-sensors (USS) were taken out of new 3/Y production in Oct 2022 before the Tesla Vision based software was at an equivalent level of performance. Some think this is the end of the world, Management is to blame, and will not let go. Others think its a snag like many others that came up in the course of the supply shortage, and is being used as an attack vector by bears (even though it is not material to Tesla's financial performance).
AH!

If that is why I can’t summon my 2022 Plaid X in and out of the garage like I can my 2018 model X, then I totally resent the unnecessary technological regression.

Unless COVID made parts unavailable in 2022, then I totally understand.