Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the Cybertruck design can be polarizing . . . BUT

I was at the Manhattan showroom when a man entered and went right up to the Cybertruck and said, "What is this; I love it"?
He had no intention to visit the showroom that day but saw the CT from the window and it caught his attention.
After speaking with him, I realized he knew nothing about the CT, nothing about Tesla, nothing about EVs; but within 15 min, he placed an deposit on the Cybertruck. There was only a Model 3 on display w/ the CT but in the back employee-only section there was a Model X in view. I think it may have been a test drive vehicle. This gentleman asked to see the X and the associate took him to it. My point is that Cybertruck is bringing attention and new potential customers to the brand.

By the way, this being NYC, this was not the only unusual interaction that day. At one of the showroom computer stations, there was a man with a duck on his lap placing an order for a Tesla. Maybe it was this duck that was seen at the NYC marathon one year.
View attachment 997540
Wow! There’s also a huge rock in Manhattan. Who knew there were other things going on in the lives of people besides Tesla!? 😳😱🤯

Before releasing custom fart sounds, I wish Tesla would fix the "auto" wipers first. Really.

Also, who is going to make the non rubber tires for mars? Really.
Maybe you’re not using them right. 😉 Factually, mine have worked at least acceptably, usually stellar, for over 5 years. It does make me giggle a bit when they wipe dirt created by traveling the mountain roads.

Agreed... and while the h8r's will no doubt say, "Elon only did it because it's in Tesla's best interests that suppliers have demand to make more 48v components!" , I say:

Certainly, it helps Tesla to have a thriving 48v automotive component supply base. But this is a case of "A rising tide raises all boats."... it's good for the industry as a whole.... for one company to win doesn't mean the other has to lose.

See also: All are Patent Are Blong to You. And NACS. And the Roadster V1 Design. And...
Elon doesn't want the competition poaching our best engineers with monster pay packages. Easier to just give it away.

Maybe you’re not using them right. 😉 Factually, mine have worked at least acceptably, usually stellar, for over 5 years. It does make me giggle a bit when they wipe dirt created by traveling the mountain roads.
From 2013 to 2015 you couldn't use auto wipers, pushing the button worked fine. Then they worked pretty much perfectly until a couple of releases ago. The most common issue is they do one wipe early in the morning, occasionally they do a few wipes, but it's not often. Once I had them start in the garage when I got into the car. I set auto and the knob to the first setting.

What is the status of an innovation Tesla showed a few years ago whereby wire was encapsulated in a large ish plastic chunk that is easier for robots to install?
Same as their showing of solar 'shingles' to be used as solar roofs. idle to non-existent
It seems that Finland had joined the support for that Swedish union. I think Tesla better start taking this seriously.
Not sure if serious and define 'seriously' - I think that Tesla should kick their assess big time.
Wipers, IMO, have a inherited problem that the main camera seems to be used to determine their reaction. This camera gets less that 20% of crud that need to be wiped off the front windshield. Current version might work in CA but it does not when people drive in rain, snow and mud. Many folks ain't happy with the 'auto' wipers. Even the simple rain mode is not optimal 50% of the time.

It seems that Finland had joined the support for that Swedish union. I think Tesla better start taking this seriously.
You mean sticking to their business culture, continuing to not break any laws, continuing to provide better wages and benefits than the union requires, continuing to ignore the bully in the room that has failed to keep itself relevant in changing times -

I’d say Tesla is being dead serious.

Last edited:
This is @Troy 's interpretation, but the numbers are real:
View attachment 997629
Source:

Model 3 also doesn’t have the rain sensors and parking sensors anymore, and has more deliveries in the first 2 months of Q4 than in any quarter of the rest of the year.
Surely the reason can’t be that an upgraded Model 3 (Highland) got relatively more desirable in Europe than the Model Y. More range, cheaper, and more suitable for city traffic, nobody would consider that as better.

OK, so I've been looking for public EV data and I've found this, hovering over the bar segments gives me BEV vs PHEV numbers in .1 million increments so I can pull enough to edit my spreadsheet.

IEA (2023), Global EV Outlook 2023, IEA, Paris Global EV Outlook 2023 – Analysis - IEA, License: CC BY 4.0

1702055553304.png

and as a reminder I'm using 2022 statistics | www.oica.net for my ICE data.

Peak ICE production/sales is 2017 assuming 2023 and higher don't break that peak.

1702055692148.png

I don't have any great confidence in my future projections but I'm putting it at here for now. I'm assuming that PHEVs are in the OICA data but even if they aren't I'm excluding them from the BEV bars, at worst it's a slight exclusion that won't change the graph much.

1702057472652.png

Last edited:
From 2013 to 2015 you couldn't use auto wipers, pushing the button worked fine. Then they worked pretty much perfectly until a couple of releases ago. The most common issue is they do one wipe early in the morning, occasionally they do a few wipes, but it's not often. Once I had them start in the garage when I got into the car. I set auto and the knob to the first setting.
They sometimes have a mind of their own. Just makes me smile. I expect my homemaker bot to put a cup of salt into the cake once in a while instead of sugar. I’ll smile at that too.

Wipers, IMO, have a inherited problem that the main camera seems to be used to determine their reaction. This camera gets less that 20% of crud that need to be wiped off the front windshield. Current version might work in CA but it does not when people drive in rain, snow and mud. Many folks ain't happy with the 'auto' wipers. Even the simple rain mode is not optimal 50% of the time.
I drive all over. I currently drive my mountain where weather conditions can, and often do, change every 1000’. I seriously don’t have any issues of consequence with my auto wipers, nor have I ever. 🤷🏻‍ Maybe you all should talk nicer to your cars.

No, I’m not suggesting people are making it up. I am suggesting that some people should be more accurate with their statements.

Saying Tesla needs to fix auto wipers really should be ‘I want Tesla to fix auto wipers on my car.’ Because I don’t want a change that fixes yours and buggers mine.

Model 3 also doesn’t have the rain sensors and parking sensors anymore, and has more deliveries in the first 2 months of Q4 than in any quarter of the rest of the year.
Surely the reason can’t be that an upgraded Model 3 (Highland) got relatively more desirable in Europe than the Model Y. More range, cheaper, and more suitable for city traffic, nobody would consider that as better.
But that doesn't explain the decrease in Q2 and Q3, does it? M3 is just Q4.
I actually think is a great car and will "steal" Model Y sales. But I hoped to see a combined demand, not cannibalization...
Maybe Troy overreacts, but it's very reasonable to think that lack of USS is driving some sales away from Tesla.
Every other brand in the price range has them.

I don't have any great confidence in my future projections but I'm putting it at here for now.

Is that saying over 40% of new cars next year will be EVs? With near 80 million total sales? That's over 32 million EVs in 2024.

I don't see how that's remotely possible given current EV production from all the players and what even legacy's own most optimistic current predictions are on future production (plus Teslas for that matter)

Even if we pretend Tesla at 50% YoY (and even Elon says they won't do that much in 2024) that's only about 2.7 million EVs. Where are the other ~29 million+ coming from?