Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The same way a child does. By watching people interact with eggs. FA and FO, if you will.

Just like the FSD stack. Vision training NN.
I'm gonna challenge here. I do wonder if there isn't some way to add on existing basic NNs so it doesn't need to figure everything out. Material science is a prime example, a constant in most cases. And the way that NNs are connecting up today with mixed modal (txt/audio/video/pics), I see physics and the sciences as just another NN (or even just a database) that is referenced as needed.

Facts are Facts.
Tasks are a Method with Facts.

Two separate parts of my brain, and I would much prefer that the memory part was enhanced a little.

Time for second breakfast?
Here ya go, courtesy of Joe Tegtmeyer @ that place...

GBPRBAMWkAAIMQL.jpg

If it's all neural nets and training by watching, it begs asking who the heck is walking like that and why they're being used as the reference

...right?
Lifted from the s/robotics subreddit, but seems to make sense:

Bent knees allow good shock absorption and fast contraction or elongation of the leg to deal with unexpected balance problems. Humans behave similarly in high performance activities, e.g. skiing, snowboarding, etc.

Is there some kind of proof what Optimus is doing there isn't hard-coded?

Otherwise not sure why we're giving the benefit of a doubt knowing how the early FSD Demo videos were put together and why that strategy would be different for Optimus

Specifically, no, but when you put together this tweet from 3 months ago:

1702490026729.png

And then note that in the tweet with the video touting its progress it says:

1702490339627.png

Given they were using video-based NN training in previous iterations, and it's improved since then, it seems to indicate that's not hard-coded movement. I suspect even the dancing is not...

Please help me understand. The Boston Dynamics robots that did that amazing coordinated dance and the one that does backflip seems more capable - for the untrained eyes - than Tesla's Optimus. What am I missing?

What are you missing? You are missing a brain.

Oh, I didn't mean you. Sorry how that sounded, bro. :p

I just meant Optimus has a better brain. And better hands. And it has a more human form making it capable of more tasks in a human world.

Elon said he will treat Bezos fairly when delivering Kuyper to orbit. So by fair I hope he means a 10% hike in price per hit piece in the WaPo.
I seem to remember Jeff was butt hurt enough about Blue Origin losing a bid to SpaceX that he tried to sue. Now they are turning to SpaceX to launch their own satellite? Can someone help me wrap my mind around that?

If it's all neural nets and training by watching, it begs asking who the heck is walking like that and why they're being used as the reference

...right?

Well, I expect it implements what it "sees" in its training the best it can within the hardware capabilities. I suspect the leg design and/or balance sensors and algorithms have room for improvement.

I seem to remember Jeff was butt hurt enough about Blue Origin losing a bid to SpaceX that he tried to sue. Now they are turning to SpaceX to launch their own satellite? Can someone help me wrap my mind around that?
Some discussion in the SpaceX subforum here:

I just can't get over the fast progress of Optimus and how it seems nobody else is even really trying to do a serious humanoid robot. This is Elon's greatest project. It's more brilliant than his EVs or reusable rockets.

As soon as Optimus proves it can do useful work, it's all over. Elon and us shareholders will own the world. It's the greatest chess move since Beth Harmon beat Vasily Borgov.

images

I just can't get over the fast progress of Optimus and how it seems nobody else is even really trying to do a serious humanoid robot. This is Elon's greatest project. It's more brilliant than working on EV's or reusable rockets.

As soon as Optimus proves it can do useful work, it's all over. Elon and us shareholders will own the world. It's the greatest chess move since Beth Harmon beat Vasily Borgov.

images
Dude, I'm sold! Totally get it.

Blue Origin board put business before Jeff's emotions after other launch options fell through.