Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any concentration of early Cybertruck deliveries in TX and CA might just be for the convivence of service. Stocking a few service centres with Cybertruck parts and having the ability to deliver quickly to other service centres in those states. As well, service teams can be beefed up with some staff who have more Cybertruck expertise.

Since RC candidates have been driving around those states for a while, some service centres may already have built up some expertise.

This makes complete sense early in the ramp.

And it probably makes sense to expand deliveries on a state-by-state basis beefing up service as needed.

This may be especially true if some new equipment is needed for Cybertruck service.

A handful of owners in other states might still be able to take delivery, but service may lag.
I think getting service centers up to speed on a completely new product is under appreciated so not surprised concentrating on a limited number of states. Tesla still needs to expand the number of service centers as well.

We'll find out soon, supposed to be in their 007 car on January 1st per this article:
"Zeekr claimed the Golden Battery, which is also planned to be used by other Geely-owned brands – including Geometry, Polestar, Proton, Smart, Volvo and possibly Lotus – can be charged from 10-80% in 15 minutes."

15 minutes is a bit faster than HyunKIa's 18 minutes. So the headline is 500kW, but I'd like to see that charging curve.

"Zeekr claimed the Golden Battery, which is also planned to be used by other Geely-owned brands – including Geometry, Polestar, Proton, Smart, Volvo and possibly Lotus – can be charged from 10-80% in 15 minutes."

15 minutes is a bit faster than HyunKIa's 18 minutes. So the headline is 500kW, but I'd like to see that charging curve.
That type of battery Lithium Iron Phosphate has been around for a while, but apparently they've found a more affordable way of making it. If their claims are true, more power to 'em. Wonder how many they can make however.

Hmm, while interesting, this YouTuber is apparently interested in clicks, the way he is selling it.
To charge at 4.5C (10-80% in 15 minutes) sounds good, but doesn’t impress me very much.

Now to do so, while the battery degrades very little, like the current Tesla batteries’ degradation, would impress me.
In short, we'll just have to wait and see how this ‘Golden Battery’ will work out.

Model 3 SR - CATL LFP
Model 3 LR - LG 2170 with China sourced material
Model Y uses Giga Nevada 2170

Very different supply chain
I wonder if Tesla will bring back the "Stealth" Performance Model 3 (i.e. standard wheels, no wing, etc.) and only sell performance Model 3s at least for a while. Of course, it may be irrelevant if they don't have the cells.

At this point, which manufacturers ARE going to get the rebates? Surely that list has to be pretty small!

I wonder if Tesla will bring back the "Stealth" Performance Model 3 (i.e. standard wheels, no wing, etc.) and only sell performance Model 3s at least for a while. Of course, it may be irrelevant if they don't have the cells.

At this point, which manufacturers ARE going to get the rebates? Surely that list has to be pretty small!
Not sure how accurate this is…

New revolutionary battery technology announced. Trying to find more info on it.

Extraordinary claims needs extraordinary evidence. I have never been impressed with this guy, and this one doesn't help either.

He doesn't even mention once what is the source of all the tall claims he makes of this "wonder battery". And look at the claims:

This battery:

- can withstand -45C to 1000C
- can charge at 500 KW
- higher volume density at pack level ..... and get this ...
- can charge 25% faster at sub zero temps.

He keeps running this crazy annoying video in the background in a loop. And not a single document or source to substantiate his claim or anything. Not even, something like, he heard it from his dog sitter's neighbors cousin working in some R&D in some crazy village in Germany.

Chalk this up to another clickbait video.

Last edited:

How can you mention stealth P3 without trying to convince @StealthP3D to start posting here again? I miss his posts.

Extraordinary claims needs extraordinary evidence. I have never been impressed with this guy, and this one doesn't help either.

He doesn't even mention once what is the source of all the tall claims he makes of this "wonder battery". And look at the claims:

This battery:

- can withstand -45C to 1000C
- can charge at 500 KW
- higher volume density at pack level ..... and get this ...
- can charge 25% faster at sub zero temps.

He keeps running this crazy annoying video in the background in a loop. And not a single document or source to substantiate his claim or anything. Not even, something like, he heard it from his dog sitter's neighbors cousin working in some R&D in some crazy village in Germany.

Chalk this up to another clickbait video.
I agree his video is clickbait what week goes by when we don't hear about a new type of battery which will change everything, especially from Toyota. But Geely Zeekr did put out a press release today and several publications have reported on it... I linked one in an above post. So we'll just have to wait a few weeks to see if it is included in the Zeekr 007 ( sounds like that should be an Austin Martin model).

Tesla owners using the Tesla REST API will get some (hopefully short term) pain because Tesla is increasing the security on vehicle commands. I was writing a program to optimize the charging times of my cars in order to get the lowest possible charging cost (I already use apps for this but they can't take into account other electricity usage in my house) and got the following error when trying to start charging my new Model S: "Tesla Vehicle Command Protocol required, please refer to the documentation here: Tesla Fleet API". If you read the announcements on that page it turns out that in January 2024 all vehicles will require the Tesla Vehicle Command protocol, and the REST (command) API will be fully deprecated.
If I understand it correctly it means that any app that sends commands to a Tesla will not only need to be authenticated, it will also need to identify itself to the car, with the car being able to verify that identity (much like the car knows about key fobs and cell phone keys) - end-to-end command authentication.
It means that apps like Jedlix will be completely broken as of januari (they are already broken for cars delivered since November).
The bar for being able to control a Tesla is now significantly higher: it requires registration (and acceptance) at Tesla, a verifiable endpoint on the internet and increased programming complexity.
That's ok for commercial apps like Jedlix, TeslaFi etc (and good for the peace-of-mind of the Tesla owners), but really bad for hobbyists as it has gotten very complex and expensive to keep doing what they could easily do with the soon to be deprecated REST API.
I expect some bad media coverage around this.

The stock is nearly flat from three years ago.
word you are looking for is

patience

over last 4 years linear regression line is UP, positive slope and Accumulation/Distribution line, a volume indicator points to a bit over 10 billion shares being accumulated at fractionally higher prices than lower prices
over that _short_ 4 year time period, upward pressure is slowly "burbling" along (breaking up into turbulance) until the next discontinuity step up, then slideways for another time period

as an aside, do you remember the crash of Monday October 19, 1987 when the DJIA lost over 22% in 1 day, lots of margin calls and previous week was awful (DJIA had gone from mid 700's to mid 2,200's)
its a barely discernable blip on the chart (3rd chart below, )
(was a great week, hearts delight oldest daughter born 10/9/87)
1702630294643.png

1702630439745.png

DJIA crash of 1987 below, barely a blip on lower left side, yet 22% drop, barely discernable,
patience

1702632053324.png

Last edited:
I do wonder if the 'go slow' on Mexico may have been a bit of a negotiating tactic. It never hurts to look like you are having second thoughts if that can lock in a big subsidy?
Also I do think Tesla is pretty immune to global economy worries once they have a mass market small low-end vehicle. If we are going to survive climate change we need to replace a crazy number of small compact ICE vehicles with BEVs. It will become a wartime effort on a global scale to achieve the transition. The idea that a short term interest rate issue would hold that up is a bit of a stretch if you ask me.
In other words, even if globally the economy is in a bad way, it shouldnt affect affordable EVs. Governments will have to find a way to ensure they can be sold. On the other hand if you hold stocks of luxury discretionary goods producers, that may go badly :D.