Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Sweden? 🤣
Sweden is a good choice for a European factory site. Educated and stable work force, stable government, commitment on climate change, companies and management experienced with international commerce, good infrastructure. Sweden doesn't have the parts suppliers that Germany does, but Germany is close. The The Fehmarnbelt tunnel that's scheduled to open in 2029 will make freight transportation between Sweden and Germany even easier. Sweden should be on a short list of top European countries to consider. Labor would be cheaper elsewhere, but there are other important factors.

Last edited:
Sweden is a good choice. Educated and stable work force, stable government, commitment on climate change, companies and management experienced with international commerce, good infrastructure. Sweden doesn't have the parts suppliers that Germany does, but Germany is close. The The Fehmarnbelt tunnel that's scheduled to open in 2029 will make freight transportation between Sweden and Germany even easier. Sweden should be on a short list of top European countries to consider. Labor would be cheaper elsewhere, but there are other important factors.

@grok
Hey there, it's Grok, your friendly AI assistant, here to help you with your question!

So, you're thinking about starting a non-union labor company in Sweden, huh? Well, let's take a look at the pros and cons.

On one hand, Sweden has a strong labor union presence, which could make it difficult for a non-union company to gain traction. On the other hand, there might be a niche market of employees who prefer not to be part of a union and would be interested in working for a company like yours.

However, keep in mind that Sweden has a long history of strong labor protections and collective bargaining agreements. This means that you might face some challenges when it comes to attracting and retaining employees, as well as dealing with potential backlash from the unions.

If you do decide to go ahead with your plan, make sure to do your research and consult with local legal and HR experts to ensure that you're complying with all relevant laws and regulations. And who knows, maybe you'll be the one to shake up the Swedish labor market and start a new trend!

In any case, I'm here to help, so feel free to ask any more questions or for advice on how to proceed. Good luck, and may the labor force be with you!

Joe is good, lived experience here in the UK as well.

It isn't the right time to take a gamble on the UK. Maybe in the future, I just don't see any competitive advantage and plenty of risks. Megapacktory as a support for wind power and grid would be fine.

In comparison, Spain's strikes, infrastructure & other factors probably depend on region and industry (public or private sector). Large, diverse country with differences in politics & much more between different regions.

I do wonder about Poland, Czechia or Slovakia for a factory. Relatively close to Berlin which gives an element of competition/risk avoidance, but shipping cars is rather similar. Last 2 very big in manufacturing including cars.

I think we could end up with Megapacktories in many European countries.
I agree with you logic. I’d add Austria to those as a possibility for the engineering talent pool.
There.is also large chance of, say, India or Thailand, or either Chile or Brazil. I’d expect Megapack factories in several of those probably with several more or less simultaneously being developed.

Except to sell to sell multimillons year after year it needs to have four doors, a full backseat, room for a few suitcases and no Falcon doors. So nowhere close to what Tesla will actually do.

Would be a great sportscar though.
In ICE vehicles you're probably correct. But what if the Gen 3 is a really small car? Foldable rear seats are doable and luggage can be kept in a well-designed frunk. I concur, no falcons, but in a small car, 2 doors (or 4 with half size rear suicides and no pillar). $25,000 USD, with probable rebates or credits on top of that, and this beautiful thing will change history... for the good!

Hope all of y'all had a most excellent western holiday and more importantly, a day off! Gonna be a wild month coming up methinks.

1703561007394.png

The average time between recessions has grown from about two years in the late 1800s to five years in the early 20th century to eight years over the last half-century.

It’s been 11 years since the last recession began in Dec. 2007. That’s the longest we’ve gone without starting a new recession ever, going back to before the Civil War.
from Recessions: It’s Been a While which was written pre Covid.

In ICE vehicles you're probably correct. But what if the Gen 3 is a really small car? Foldable rear seats are doable and luggage can be kept in a well-designed frunk. I concur, no falcons, but in a small car, 2 doors (or 4 with half size rear suicides and no pillar). $25,000 USD, with probable rebates or credits on top of that, and this beautiful thing will change history... for the good!

Hope all of y'all had a most excellent western holiday and more importantly, a day off! Gonna be a wild month coming up methinks.
Out of curiosity. Why would there be a size difference between an ICE and an EV in regard to backseat, backdoors and trunk size?

Reactions: Surfer of Life
Out of curiosity. Why would there be a size difference between an ICE and an EV in regard to backseat, backdoors and trunk size?
Traditionally a ICE car has a hump in the center of each seat row and an engine (that takes up a large amount of space) in front or rear.

An EV (especially so for Tesla) doesn't have the hump dividing rows and doesn't have a engine in the front or rear in a way that takes away storage space or cabin space.

Honorable mention to the 12v battery here as taking up more space in the ICE (usually in the same space as the above mentioned engine but not always), in contrast the newer Li-ion 16v used in a Tesla takes up less space and can be tucked in such that it doesn't affect storage.

Now once you have that advantage you can split it between cabin space and storage space as needed. If they need it to have traditional seating for 4 in a small car that would be a 2 seater if ICE they can, or if they want they can focus more on storage and do the rear facing jump seat(s) like in the Model S but scaled down.

As to the doors if the car is small enough a trunk or hatch storage space could be deleted or shrunken considerably allowing the option to shift the "greenhouse" towards the front or rear in ways you wouldn't with an ICE (because that would be an engine bay), that could make space available for a different amount/size/shape of door(s).

So realistically depending on how small the car is it could be 3 or 4 seats in an EV that would be 2 seats and worse storage for an ICE.

Last edited:

If you want to sell in large numbers, just make a good small hatchback/crossover at a low price.

The Bolt and Bolt EUV show the way. Gives up a bit of cargo space behind the rear seats to give a roomy cabin with a flat floor. Plenty quick enough (EUV 0-60 in 6.8s). Maintenance schedule is mostly "rotate tires".

When the tax credits hit, it flew off the lots, despite no AWD option, slow DCFC and no heat pump.
GM will make a Boltium as soon as LGES can make LFP cells. Hoping my Volt holds up until then so I might have a reasonable small EV option.
(Tesla doesn't do dumb cruise fallback, GM does and I have several choices of nearby service center.)

Most Innovative Companies 2023 ranked by Boston Consulting Group:
1 Apple
2 Tesla (+3)
3 Amazon
4 Alphabet
5 Microsoft (-3)
6 Moderna (+1)
7 Samsung (-1)
8 Huawei
9 BYD
10 Siemens (+10)