Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 10th Gujarat Global Summit...hmmm...I wonder what this "Electric Vehicle Manufacturing" on January 12th is all about
GCdRQUwXMAAIx6m.jpeg

People keep saying the same thing about the charging curve on the 4680 Model Y AWD. They have never made it better even after getting lots of data...
Hang in there. People might be right. Tesla has made many improvements to the charging curves of numerous models. I'd rather they be conservative with the 4680 rollout than have bigger problems.

Hang in there. People might be right. Tesla has made many improvements to the charging curves of numerous models. I'd rather they be conservative with the 4680 rollout than have bigger problems.
Plus if the 4680 significantly out performs the 2170 charging, then they run the risk of Osborning their products. For now I think Tesla doesn't want the consumer to worry about which cell is in their Tesla. No reason not to keep performance close for now.

IMO the biggest potential impact on 2024 is 4680 production.

I am expecting a substantial increase in 4680 production at Austin by Q2 2024 at the latest,

if Austin can make higher volumes of Model Y's with 4680s then that will free up some 2170s for Model 3 and the Semi.

It is important to note that 2170s are needed for Model 3's made in the US to qualify for the credit. If some Model 3's made at Fremont have LFP packs then these could be exported to Canada and the Asia Pacific...

If it is possible to move Model Y at Fremont to 4680s in 2024/2025, that will mean more 2170s are available,

Model Y at Fremont could also be made with LFP packs for export.

Finally Panasonic could increase 2170 production at Sparks or elsewhere.

How the "cell supply" domino falls, determines how most of the other dominos fall.
I haven't been following it closely but a quick google search shows Panasonic's new 2170 plant in De Soto, Kansas is due to come online in 2024 and Tesla is listed as their main customer. So if they hit their deadline there will be some additional capacity next year regardless of the much needed 4680 ramp.

Panasonic breaks ground on $4 billion EV battery plant in Kansas

Tony Seba on the money. Given this cost decline curve: Are the ASPs in most of these TSLA Auto models people are posting all over the interwebs far too high for Tesla later this decade and into 2030? No one seems to have long term ASPs below $30k, let alone $40k. Does anyone think it could be sub-$20k? I wonder what Seba would predict for TSLA? Just some ponderables I hope to channel in my REM sleep. I figured I would bounce them off the Tesla Geek Squad...err....Motors...Club....Forum
View attachment 1004453
Doesn't this just show the cheapest the vehicles could possibly be. Using ICE market splits shows that while there is a high volume of low priced vehicles, there will still be a large number of higher priced vehicles that offer more features that will be sold and that brings the average up.

An extremely crude example of what the Tesla ASP could look like once Gen-3 vehicles are fully ramped
Units/Year​
ASP ($)​
S/X
100,000​
80,000​
3/Y
3,000,000​
40,000​
CyberTruck
300,000​
70,000​
Semi
100,000​
180,000​
Gen-3
8,000,000​
25,000​
Total

Even if a mythical Gen-4 vehicle was added in at $10k ASP the fleet ASP would still be above $20k - And I don't think this is realistic as no-one is selling ICE vehicles this cheaply in the US. There likely ends up being other factors rather than the cost decline curve that start to impact this pricing (e.g. logistics costs being too large a portion of manufacturing cost, customers preferring a better specced used vehicle for $10k than a bare bones new one, manufacturers not getting the return they wat or cannibalising their higher priced vehicles, etc)
Units/Year​
ASP ($)​
S/X
100,000​
80,000​
3/Y
3,000,000​
40,000​
CyberTruck
300,000​
70,000​
Semi
100,000​
180,000​
Gen-3
8,000,000​
25,000​
Gen-4
9,000,000​
10,000​
Total

An additional point would be whether Tesla would believe their money is best spent building millions of $10k vehicles or whether those funds will be spent building optimii / stationary storage / FSD fleet. That question is a long way down the road but it doesn't seem highly likely to me that Tesla will ever get to high volume $10k vehicles given Elon is so good at finding new high return investments.

I sure hope Elon reads this perceptive Troy thread. Maybe it's not too late for Elon to prioritise battery procurement and manufacture.
Troy's analysis is too static and references the incremental price reduction needed in a rising rate environment. If the Fed drops rates according to current market expectations we could well see higher volumes at higher ASPs as auto loans become cheaper. The economics are true (need to lower price for higher volumes, all else being equal) but Troy's estimate of the margin impact of a 5% difference in volumes is just a finger in the air. They also don't factor in continued manufacturing efficiency or the CyberTruck ramp.

Also, we have already been advised of the answer - Elon has said on multiple earnings calls that he will go to just above cashflow positive to increase volumes if needs be.

Hmmm… confused. Lots of energetic young men on a ship running around with drills…..doesn’t that suggest risking a bunch of holes in the hull?
That’s why the school with the “Other” reputation. And it wasn’t just young idiots. Armies and Navies since ye olden times have discovered the ability of NCOs (Chief Petty Officers on down) in melding the feckless young into something a lot more effective.

Besides, you’re talking the USN, here. We have a tradition, dammit, of when something’s lit afire, damaged, spraying flammable substances, leaking gouts of high pressure steam, blasts of seawater, and all that jazz, of grabbing every available implement of corrective action and running towards the fun.

And if it’s the enlisted who act like that, you haven’t seen the officer corps types in that kind of situation. The people whose actual job it is to go fight damage have to shoulder aside (and sometimes fail to do so) the gung-ho types from Annapolis who just React and go for it.

That’s all Vietnam-era experiences, so things may have changed in 50 years. Don’t think so, though.

I have tremendous respect for you. The reason I disagreed with this is that there’s a third option. Some people think everything Musk is bad. Some people, especially here, think everything Musk is good, genius, 4D chess, etc etc. it’s exhausting. The reality is Musk is absolutely a net benefit to the planet and our wallets. However, it’s disappointing that many think he can do no wrong. Musk messes up. Musk makes mistakes. Musk says horrible stupid things. I don’t need to read an article about Musk I can see in writing the sometimes inappropriate and sometimes terrible things he says, and does. There’s a middle ground. Let’s all be a little more open to the idea this genius isn’t perfect in 2024 while continuing to support his companies and his mostly great actions.
Elon is Elon, simple as that, he has his "demon mode" and his supreme altruistic side, you never know which one is going to turn up to the party

I said this a couple of months back, everyone here has to read Isaacsson, it really helped me understand Musk, why he behaves the way he does and to a large extent it pretty much defused my concerns, and although I'm still aghast at a lot of his behaviour, I find myself filled with more admiration for his achievements than I was in the past

We'd have no Tesla without Elon's characters quirks, no orbital rockets landing on platforms at sea, no affordable satellite internet, and a lot of folks here would not be anywhere near as wealthy as they are today

As regards the IRA and Model 3. Tesla have know for well over a year now that these mineral sourcing requirements would come into play. I personally find it inconceivable that they didn't prepare for this moment - I don't think hopium that the rules would be loosened would be part of that plan
Minor point, my understanding is that the Model 3 gets zero credit in 2024 due to Chinese components (excluded entity clause), not due to the 10% higher mineral sourcing and component requirements.
Further, Chinese sourced packs only qualified in Q2-Q4 of 2023 (Q1 was a free for all based on old eligibility rules) due to the IRS/ Treasury guidance that allowed doing the percent calculation over a full model line or factory's output instead of per vehicle.
Federal Register :: Request Access

On the last day of 2023 I thought perhaps it might be wise to stop and reflect on a couple sayings.

"You should take the approach that you're wrong. Your goal is to be less wrong."

"Honor those who seek the truth....beware of those that have found it"

My favorite:
"When the student is ready, a teacher will appear"

I plan on going forward with an open inquisitive mind...when I do that I have found many wonderful teachers.

Including many of you fine folks here.... Thank you❤️❤️

Last edited:
I sure hope Elon reads this perceptive Troy thread. Maybe it's not too late for Elon to prioritise battery procurement and manufacture.
After tweeting ~500k production for Q4..( not sure what is in patreon)
I think Troy is in full Debbie Downer mode past few days…. ( just my observation….)
+ he even conducted a poll for 2024 just 2 choices like 2M and 2.1M…
So rather than wait on just 4Q and 2023 achievements… he is already trying to steer the conversation to a bad 2024
Cheers!!

Last edited:
As regards the IRA and Model 3. Tesla have know for well over a year now that these mineral sourcing requirements would come into play. I personally find it inconceivable that they didn't prepare for this moment - I don't think hopium that the rules would be loosened would be part of that plan
Could buying American made 2170s be the problem? Maybe the USA Highland edition squeezes in 4860s (with or without gigacastings)? Another reason why USA made Highland has been so much later than China.

My Troy post was a joke btw. I will continue to add the "..." to make it less obvious next time...

An additional point would be whether Tesla would believe their money is best spent building millions of $10k vehicles or whether those funds will be spent building optimii / stationary storage / FSD fleet. That question is a long way down the road but it doesn't seem highly likely to me that Tesla will ever get to high volume $10k vehicles given Elon is so good at finding new high return investments.

Because the mission is less about high returns and more about high production it is easy to discount the mission when people analyze Tesla using the standard yardstick of high returns we've all become accustomed to.

When plotting Tesla's future, if given the choice of high returns or high production, I think they will always lean toward high production and still generate adequate returns to grow and find new solutions.

This is what differentiates them from the other manufacturers, and, it is what leads Tesla to be so much more innovative in the realm of reducing costs and developing processes to improve production line speed for a variety of products in unique ways.

In the end they are still quite profitable, without having focused on profits. This is what allows them the flexibility to take on such a diverse range of products which are related in remarkable ways. Such as Optimus sharing software with FSD, and soon Optimus will be working in the factories building things.

Battery advancements in both chemistry and manufacturing which is poised to come on line in the US and Germany and the applications can be split between auto, energy, and Optimus. Also, raw materials and cathode processing should be included in this assessment.

Then, there is AI development that may significantly increase the ability for Tesla to develop additional new technologies and processes even quicker than they have been doing it. Imagine that.

Tesla is still an amazing and significantly misunderstood company by those who have made their career the business of analyzing investments. The way Tesla knits everything together is completely unexpected and it has taken decades for Wall Street to begin to grasp the scope of these disruptive innovations and how they are complementary to each other.

Tesla figures out how to do it a) better (quality), b) cheaper, and c) faster, breaking the rule that used to allow only the choice of any two of those three qualities.

Last edited:
Minor point, my understanding is that the Model 3 gets zero credit in 2024 due to Chinese components (excluded entity clause), not due to the 10% higher mineral sourcing and component requirements.
Further, Chinese sourced packs only qualified in Q2-Q4 of 2023 (Q1 was a free for all based on old eligibility rules) due to the IRS/ Treasury guidance that allowed doing the percent calculation over a full model line or factory's output instead of per vehicle.
Federal Register :: Request Access
Thanks for correcting my presumption, however the point remains, has been coming along time, Tesla been sitting on their hands the last 12 months doing nothing about it? Not their, or Elon's usual approach IMO

After Kato road revamp to Austin standards .. will the 4680s produced there be used for cyber truck or for the Fremont M3/MY refresh … one way for more US made batteries…??
Kato is the site for next generation development, not production.
Tesla (TSLA) Q3 2023 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool
Lastly, in Kato, we're retooling to enable large-scale pilot runs of our next-generation cell designs. Kato's long-term goal is to be the launch pad for new cells, one generation ahead of our mass production facilities, enabling faster iteration and smoother ramp-ups of new designs.

I said this a couple of months back, everyone here has to read Isaacsson, it really helped me understand Musk, why he behaves the way he does and to a large extent it pretty much defused my concerns, and although I'm still aghast at a lot of his behaviour, I find myself filled with more admiration for his achievements than I was in the past
For anyone with Spotify Premium, the audiobook of Isaacson’s Elon Musk biography is available for free with the service.