Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But if that's true, why would it only affect Model Y?
It doesn't only impact the Model Y.

And as I look ahead at the other posts since this one, why is nobody talking about it?
Lots of people are discussing it in other threads. Lots of articles published.

As for why it isn't being discussed in this tread? Probably because it doesn't impact the stock value, it is mainly the result of a change in EPA testing procedures for 2024 vehicles.

I don't think that will happen for at least another 4 years... It would require a complete redesign. (Coming directly from Tesla execs, they pretty much said only new vehicles will get the 48v system.)
Disagree.

The work has been done for the CT. It's likely some tactical deception by Tesla execs.

For the MS at least it's just wiring changes as the space for the FWS is likely already there from the 2021 redesign . . . .

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Disagree.

The work has been done for the CT. It's likely some tactical deception by Tesla execs.

For the MS at least it's just wiring changes as the space for the FWS is likely already there from the 2021 redesign . . . .
Just wiring changes? It would require entirely new wiring harnesses throughout the entire vehicle, every ECU has to be redesigned, all motors/actuators have to be changed, new door handles, etc.

Sure, some of the work was done on the Cybertruck that would make it easier, but it is still essentially designing a new car.

What is happening in Germany and UK? Lack of allocation may explain UK but not Germany. It has been bad in Germany all year with no obvious effect of the late incentive removal. I think both countries have been susceptible to a huge spike in anti-EV FUD in general with a massive effort against Tesla.

I'm sure Sweden's IF Metall brain trust will want to claim responsibility for this, in their own minds. :rolleyes:

But, that's not the reason either.

Why would a build in inventory shift customers to FSD?

To put some numbers around this, Mobileye sells its systems for around $50 each — yes fifty, five zero, and currently pulls around $500million per quarter in revenue — supplanting this at the same level would likely not be material to a company pulling $20billion+ per quarter and with goals to 5-10x vehicle sales from current.

Something just struck me as interesting around this topic, I was leafing through some old articles earlier and found this quote about Mobileye and Tesla parting ways:

So it seems interesting that Elon is now talking about going down the same path that was part of the stated reason for this partnership ending way back when. Of course Tesla wouldn’t go right to supporting hundreds of legacy models, but it would seem to be a divergence and reversion.
Was partly joking, but partly trying to figure out how Tesla would sell FSD to other companies as some FSD-light for general use. (Probably not what Tesla spoke of, but it could have some future use and value that we don't recognize just yet. A driving "brain" could be useful to other systems even if the input data was limited.

So yes, different hardware, markets, and price points, but perhaps there's some overlap with the general use case much like AGL might be for your glasses someday, in the driving domain. Value for early warnings or some limited interaction with vehicle controls. Plus, if the data can show the risks on Mobile-eye vs FSD-light, (and possibly required by NSTSA someday) maybe Mobile-eye would need Tesla AI (license) in some future use case (that I'm not going to attempt to define here).

Obviously I don't limit the scope on technology. I don't recommend this, but I have driven with one eye closed. It's not as safe, but it works because we have brains to fill in the gaps. AI could do the same, especially with inertial units being so cheap, there's plenty of input data for low cost. And why not have 4 wireless cameras that stick on (again, future). I believe there's a $200 and a $500 version that would also work even better than the $50.

Just wiring changes? It would require entirely new wiring harnesses throughout the entire vehicle, every ECU has to be redesigned, all motors/actuators have to be changed, new door handles, etc.

Sure, some of the work was done on the Cybertruck that would make it easier, but it is still essentially designing a new car.
Disagree.

The modules were done for the CT. They can be placed in the MS/MX as well. Wiring is . . . just wiring. With 48-volts you need a lot LESS of it and weight is the enemy of everything so the less weight, the better.

For the handful of systems that still require 12 volts (such as the CT seat motors and perhaps the MS door handles), and where the cost to re-engineer for 48-volts just isn't worth the effort are already addressed, as demonstrated by the CT's 12-volt subsystem.

I just hope the volumes in the MS/MX are sufficient to justify the minor effort to do the 48-volt conversion. It would be great to best the Lucid Sapphire NOT via extra power/larger battery, but via the 48-volt weight reduction and engineering brilliance . . . and at about 1/3rd the cost!

Now THAT would be quite the smackdown to the Saudis!

He stopped Hyping ;) the change ...
Back when Rivian was over $100 per share he said it was going to $9, and not to buy it before then, as they were going to go through production hell like Tesla with the Model 3. I believe $12 was the low point, but anyone correctly calling an 80% return in one year probably shouldn't be ignored. I used to watch him regularly.

RT

TSLA seems to be bouncing off the 50-Day Moving Average:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2024-01-05.10-04.png

It doesn't only impact the Model Y.

Lots of people are discussing it in other threads. Lots of articles published.

As for why it isn't being discussed in this tread? Probably because it doesn't impact the stock value, it is mainly the result of a change in EPA testing procedures for 2024 vehicles.
Looks like it doesn't affect the Model 3? Why not?
How is it confirmed that this is a result of a change in EPA testing? Looking around I've only seen speculation.

Multiple folks have linked to the EPA doc in question, it came out in mid 2022 but is only required for 2024 and newer vehicles

Thanks. And this part might explain why there is no new range for Model 3:

Vehicles utilizing carry-over data may continue to use data generated under previous policy for as long as the tests are valid (i.e., no
changes to the vehicle requiring new MPGe/range testing are required). Manufacturers who add a new configuration to a test group for 2024 and later must present new test results using this policy, but existing data can still be used if it is representative
It could be that Model 3 is allowed to use the old numbers for the time being.

The mission statement does need to be revised. And that's just fine. Tesla's mission is now even more ambitious than before. A new mission statement would reflect that.
I agree with @ggies07 general sentiment, which I state as "batteries are the lifeblood of the transition".
I have to also say like @Artful Dodger that they are necessary, but not sufficient to preserve society. We need either enough trained tradespeople / factory workers, or enough useful bots, or the sum of the two, to form the veritable army to install those batteries, connect those batteries, and install the solar+wind+? to fill those batteries, upgrade the grid benefiting from those batteries... This portion is a longer-term concern, but cannot be discounted. We are decent at shiny new tech; we are often poor at recognizing and implementing the need for squishy, hard to quantify, politically dicey things like large scale human job retraining. A nice measurable "300 Wh/kg" is much easier to get behind (if you are in the know anyway 😆 )
The boring, not shiny, long slog of retraining phalanxes of humans part just doesn't sell. Yes, a job market will eventually sort that out, but in time? Without mass political upheaval, already long simmering due to factory automation taking jobs in general, more recently the renewable+EV transition creating resentment to this actual effort, not to mention growing climate change driven unwanted migrations in the Americas, Europe, as well as every other continent?
A phalanx of shiny bots sells better, if they can be made to work. Hope that happens forthwith. And fine, they will have batteries, but to me that's really not the point.