Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there are some hands that come in and out of view on the bottom right of the screen. perhaps that is controlling it? Or maybe he just means that the code is hard wired for that particular situation
The robot is folding by imitating the operator just offscreen to the right--so not quite as impressive as at first glance. However, being able to do this task with a nonrigid object is still pretty impressive.

And if it can be done manually with imitation, then a neural network doing it autonomously is not that far off.

Tesla drivers stranded? It's been a long time since I've seen something like this. If the story is accurate, let's hope Tesla does something to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Charged yesterday on 150KW charger in -23C/-10F. It went fine but the cable was as flexible as rebar. It was extremely hard to move and plug it given the temp and cable length.

I really hope Tesla will replace those 150KW ones quickly.

The Tesla app shows that all of the Supercharger locations around this one have wait time now - during the sunny but very cold day.

Last edited:
Super vague ‘start production as early as this year’ when it’s just the fifteenth of January but okay.

Panasonic announces new and improved 2170 chemistry:

My free articles are gone, maybe someone else can get some more information out of it:

Here's a good one:

Reactions: UncaNed and AZRI11
Holy cow:
Do we have any robotics experts? I was under the impression that cloth manipulation was SERIOUSLY hard. Especially all-black...
It's not that hard. We have had many videos of claw hands doing it already, some by competition from the last few weeks. Here is a video from 7 years ago:

Here is another from 13 years ago:

It looks impressive to us humans because it looks so human like. It's mostly a proof of concept. The import thing is that Tesla is doing this to gather data to train a neural network for a product that they intend to mass manufacture. With a few hundred examples the robot might learn to do it end2end. Then add som RLHF to it and a few versions later the folding will be midjourney v6 level quality.

Last edited:
I have never heard such a thing from Elon. Never! He DID say:
Of course I chose to use the India Times quotation, just for the sake of Gujarati support!
He definitely said 'zero profit' if necessary but NOT zero FCF. Tesla did not even sell original Roadsters at zero positive cash flow impact.
Go all the way to even Zip2 and Elon has been obsessed about cash flow. He is acutely aware that accounting profitability has no inherent survival value. Free Cash Flow does have survival value. Bankruptcy comes to those who have no cash. Profits, on the other hand, are relevant, but only when those profits enhance cash flow. Regularly companies with accounting profits and negative cash flow can and do fail. Companies with negative cash flow rarely can long survive, even with government ownership. Lest anyone does not understand that, most of those have some sort of fraud and/or accounting failures. Free cash Flow is harder to mistake, partly due to traditionally tighter accounting treatment of cash.

Elon NEVER understates the importance of cash flow. He's faced crises of cash flow with both SpaceX and Tesla and has, if anything, overstated cash flow risks.
Hold on. Musk manages cash flow like no other businessperson of whom I am aware. He's superior. But like any startup founder, he does not necessarily manage to maximize free cash flow in the short or medium term. If he believes that there is an opportunity available and his pocketbook allows, he will ramp up spending, FCF be damned. And P/L doesn't even cross his mind.

In the Q3 earnings call, it seemed clear that Musk and the CFO were indicating that FCF is being sacrificed for the greater opportunity in AI. So trying to evaluate Tesla as of today mostly through the lens of FCF may make you unduly pessimistic as to how the company is executing. I thought they were warning that we might not like the next few FCF prints.

Last edited:
In case anyone forgets, just remember that Mary led...

1705352395219.png

Leave the "period of time" open infinitely. You Led Mary and it matters.

The problem with elons argument is that he is his own worst enemy when it comes to him losing control of Tesla. It was not the tesla shareholders or board who told him to go buy twitter and sell a chunk of his precious tesla stock to make it happen.
Nobody is tearing control of tesla away from elon. He could sell his entire stake in spacex tomorrow, and plough it all into Tesla stock, but chooses not to.

I find it worrying that the only time Elon takes a break from memes to mention Tesla recently, is to complain about how much he is paid. This is NOT a good look, and institutional investors will not be happy.

I'm hoping the optimus video compensates for this a bit. REALLY hoping decent Q4 earnings compensates for it a lot. Perhaps Elon knows the Q4 numbers and knows he is playing from a position of strength?

This is way beyond stupid. Clear dereliction of his duty as CEO. Oh my lord I can’t believe he actually said it. simply stunning.

View attachment 1009190
lol at the thumbs down repsonses. Delusional.

”I am not comfortable growing Tesla to be a leader in AI & robotics without having ~25% voting control. Unless that is the case, I would prefer to build products outside of Tesla“

The dude is straight up saying he is refusing to do his job unless he gets tens of billions of dollars.

I’ve already posted in the past how it was very inappropriate & contradictory that he started a rival AI company (that poached Tesla talent) while also simultaneously claiming Tesla was an AI company. Now finally he has come right out and said it.

And comparing his own shareholding to fund managers stakes and asking why they don’t come to work? What a complete putz.

This X post is one for the history books.

Last edited: