Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The freeze story is on everyone's feed. My wife shared it with me yesterday. It might actually be one story.

I'd like to followup with my story in Yuma when it was 115F and the chargers were only giving a little so there was a line.... ONE TIME. The Chicago News that I saw mentioned how there were only 2 chargers working, so likely a similar situation (plus the cold charging for newbies).

My preference is still to be stranded at 115F vs -40F. You can always pour water over your head to cool. But if your battery dies in the cold, so do you. :oops:

Huh... did I say that? OK, unless you are Canadian or Norwegian because all the stupid ones froze to death already.
Or if your ICE vehicle's engine quits. Life expectancy is ~30 minutes. I can assure you that in a rental car in rural Northern Saskatchewan at 03:00 you think about this a lot (no BEVs back then). Yeah, I know, carry a couple of candles, but when the airlines look at you funny because of all the luggage you carry (before all the rules), you don't carry anything extra.

So why is this making national news when in Norway it's no problem? I just had a family friend mention this to me yesterday and now I see it on NPR...Are all these new owners who are not used to the cold weather yet?

I'd say it's because of 2 factors: (1) Using Tesla in the headline gets clicks and (2) the current pile-on of anti-EV FUD now that Ford and GM are failing at producing them.
It is of course true that all cars do worse in cold. It is also true that this hits EVs worse in most cases (although far better than 5 years ago), and so sure, at busy superchargers, lines will lengthen due to larger charge times, particularly if batteries were not preconditioned. And in the cold, it can take a VERY long time to fully precondition, from experience with my 2021 LR Y in only 30 degree temps (Chicago in the article was much colder than that). So if folks were relying on the Supercharger that they never have to wait at, problems would (and do) result.
This will all get better as we build more chargers, particularly as the NEVI ones finally get online to supplement Tesla's network.
The cold weather thing was one of the final hurdles I had to overcome when I exhaustively researched EVs back in 2020/2021 and settled on Tesla as having the best technology. (I even read this site, but not this particular thread - best way to get the real scoop is listen to what existing owners are complaining about).
What convinced me that this cold weather issue was (while real) not a showstopper was that dude on YouTube who drove all over Norway in his Model 3, in winter, day after day. He had no real trouble - and showed his work. When you realize that Norwegians and northern Canadians buy these things, you realize that they can work almost anywhere.

Or if your ICE vehicle's engine quits. Life expectancy is ~30 minutes. I can assure you that in a rental car in rural Northern Saskatchewan at 03:00 you think about this a lot (no BEVs back then). Yeah, I know, carry a couple of candles, but when the airlines look at you funny because of all the luggage you carry (before all the rules), you don't carry anything extra.
Candles for emergency heat in freezing Northern SK? (Said Jerry from Texas.)

Yep. We were brought up that way. We have a whole kit in the car including a half dozen candies and a tin to put them in. A couple candles will bring the temp up in a cold car to the point where you won’t freeze to death.
It's counter-intuitive, but I'm sure every little bit helps.
80-100 Watts per candle isn't much, 🤷‍♂️ but humans only generate the same heat (at rest).
I will have to pick up some of those survival versions if I head into the cold. Don't forget the matches!

Reactions: phantasms
Add to this how the "remote control" aspect for Optimus is merely part of the learning phase, where the robot is shown the human activity via touch, movement, and vision, then, can interpret how to do that activity on it's own.

There would be little gained by having to have an operator for each robot all the time. As pointed out, there are already robots that do that and applications for the Tesla Bot isn't targeting use for highly specialized tasks, such as surgery.

Boring, repetitive, dangerous, are the job qualities the army of Optimi will target.
Over the long run, almost all manual work is boring, repetitive, and dangerous, especially in an auto factory and in construction. Our human bodies break down under repetitive impact and sometimes we make dangerous errors. So I expect Tesla to focus on its own needs for a year or two at least. It helps that its factories are learning environments that they can control.

I think the folding clothes task is great to show, because we can all imagine the uses of a household robot and how those tasks can be learned. Also, we all want a maid robot and in all but a few instances, no jobs will have been displaced. But it might give us a false sense that a household robot is Tesla's near-term goal.

Got an Email from Tesla with an ownership experience survey. Among the usual stuff, it did have quite a few questions on how long you usually keep a vehicle, why you are still keeping your vehicle and not buying new (they even asked if it was macro related), what would have to happen (new model etc.) so you´d buy a new one, etc., so IMHO seems like they are trying to figure out reasons for weak sales in Germany in late 2023.
Was there an option for Elon comments/retweets?

The interesting thing about regulatory credits is that most people (including me) thought revenue from regulatory credits would have dried up by now. But every quarter there is this nice line item with a few hundred million in it. It's less and less significant as a percent of overall revenue, but it has been a very reliable source of icing on the cake.
Agreed. Its similar to supercharging. The consensus used to be that other companies would eventually build out large competing networks, and Tesla would have to compete with them, and have no chance of making a profit from the supercharger network.
Now other companies are basically falling over themselves to get access to the supercharger network, and have effectively given up.

I don't know how many times someone in a Ford or Toyota or GM EV has to charge their vehicle at a supercharger (at a premium rate) before they realize their mistake and just get a Tesla next time, but as a shareholder I'm happy to wait until they do.

0dc0adc947663e9bf31365edde44424c.gif

I believe when I see it. First of all, it will be regional. Then there is still an infinite amount of fake money flowing into ICE everything and associates. Corrupt politicians are of no help. Tesla has been fighting this war alone. The 'media' is financed by all organized crime adverts. That media does reach out to 90% plus ignorant audience. Another coworker asked me instantly if I had trouble getting in due to cold based on what he saw on TV. This seem not to ever end.

I believe when I see it. First of all, it will be regional. Then there is still an infinite amount of fake money flowing into ICE everything and associates. Corrupt politicians are of no help. Tesla has been fighting this war alone. The 'media' is financed by all organized crime adverts. That media does reach out to 90% plus ignorant audience. Another coworker asked me instantly if I had trouble getting in due to cold based on what he saw on TV. This seem not to ever end.
i have a slightly different take at this point in time ...at least with my interactions

I had a friend (car guy) ask me about Chicago SC cold weather event last night ... he knows i have owned a Tesla since early 2017 and I never complained once about cold weather charging ... I think many folks are starting to question these media reports when they have friends/acquaintances that have owned Tesla for many years not reporting these concerns ... folks are starting to wake up the the fake news about Tesla ... i feel capitulation is imminent

I do agree it is taking way tooo long ... the FUD works for a long time and then it doesn't.