Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering that people on this thread and elsewhere are constantly changing their position based on the situation, why shouldn’t Elon and Tesla do the same?
They definitely can - but to blame Delaware is hypocrisy …

And LOL on Elon needing money for Mars considering what he did with it. Should we call that bait & switch ?

It’s fair only because it’s Musk and he’ll use it to fund Mars, a massive boost for science and engineering on Earth and potentially a backup for humankind.

Anybody else and it’s super yacht money, entirely unfair.

Zero chance the judge will understand this.
Agreed. Or how about the fact that he was sleeping in the factory to make sure the Model 3 lines were getting fixed? Late nights. hard work. sure, he can have his package.

roto-REUTERS:

The Delaware trial, which involved a shareholder's challenge to Elon Musk's $55 billion compensation package from Tesla, took place in November 2022. The trial lasted for five days, and it took approximately two months for the judge to reach a decision.

Aah, so this is why short-faced bares have refused to let go of their bone: They KNEW and the Chancery Court of Delaware is the source of the leaked decision which was made 1 year ago.

Looking at the SP since that day with this information (which the Chancery Court withheld from shareholders) explains a lot.

And the Court hanging its judicial hat on the 'fairness' issue is the ultimate hypocrisy*:

hy·poc·ri·sy​

/həˈpäkrəsē/

noun

the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

Last edited:
LOL. Now it’s Delaware’s fault ? But it was great when trying to avoid some taxes …
Moving headquarters to Texas from California saved on taxes. Tesla has always been incorporated Delaware
BTW, I think Musk and the board probably anticipated a loss and already have some backup plans. Probably another compensation package - this time properly structured and thoroughly vetted.
What was there that needed vetted? We all had access to the full plan.

They definitely can - but to blame Delaware is hypocrisy …

And LOL on Elon needing money for Mars considering what he did with it. Should we call that bait & switch ?

Shouldn’t matter what he spends it on. It was his compensation. No contract was made that he MUST spend it on anything specific.

The “bait and switch” is the court on behalf of a “shareholder” with a whopping 9 shares has just wiped billions of dollars away from shareholders that supposedly the court is trying to “protect”.

This is personal or political. It cannot be defended by claiming protection of shareholders who all got at least 20X their investment In three years.
Three years isn’t a very long timeline in investing. The end goal of owning equity in a company is to get dividends paid out from the company’s cashflow, so I think the argument would be that the decreased dilution is what would benefit shareholders in this for the actual long haul — higher EPS, higher cashflow per share, that means more dividends per share right.

In terms of drafting a new compensation plan, am I incorrect here or would a new compensation plan giving equivalent ownership or up to 25% for Elon mean much bigger hit to Tesla’s books today than it would have been in 2018? 10% of Tesla today is $60billion, or can they backdate this or something?

I just find it hard to believe one judge can strike down a contract between a CEO, Board and shareholders where everyone agreed!

This is what's blowing my mind. That a guy with nine shares together with one single judge can overturn what a board of directors plus a majority shareholder vote said yes to. It doesn't feel legally nor morally just to me...

Well Elon certainly doesn't seem happy about it
Why would he be happy? Its going to cause confusion in the short term for many people which is not a good thing. It's a crazy ruling...... the discussion above talks about the ways the board may deal with it and there is a good chance that it can be dealt with in such a way that is good for both Elon and shareholders.