Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joe Tegtmeyer (sp?) has been doing these incredibly well informed drone fly overs over giga Texas for some time now.

He has a relatively unknown channel; but I do think it’s pertinent for us investors. Things are moving FAST at giga Texas.

My opinion, we should give him some love if possible. I rarely miss a video and often learn something; even if just about construction.

From this video:
1. Best description of boring tunnel operations I’ve ever seen.
2. Giant tanks near main assembly for who knows what? Paint??

He is an incredibly granular source of investor intel. I can’t watch every last time, not sure it’s worth that amount of my life. But at key times it’s good to dip in for several days of it as he kind of catches you up over time. He’s been at it so long he really has good context for understanding the importance of X activity at Y location on site. Huge resource that guy and yeah def worth whatever support anyone can offer.

Edit: I'm not sure now. Would need to see OI yesterday, but looks like was mostly buying 205 today, not selling, (see my orig post).

This is still yesterday's Vol chart to point out relatively weak volume at 205 and eclipsed by today's at this same price.

View attachment 1019010
Nah, we're done for this week. It's actually quite predictable. A few days of consolidation before testing the 207 gap. Let the Disagrees flow in as once again the stock did exactly what I predicted it would do. The 50 line on daily RSI once again held.
So the sequence once again worked:
First the stock gets to oversold on the daily at 182.5 on 1/25
Then it bounced and get to overbought on the 15m at 196 on 1/30
Then it dropped and then bounced back stronger, getting to overbought on the 1h at 194 on 2/9
Whats next? After pulling back from this, the stock attempted to get to the 50 line on the daily RSI. The first attempt always lead to a pullback and consolidation, going back as far as January 2022. No matter if it would drop more or shoot up after this pullback, the pullback always happened the first time the stock attempted the 50 line on daily RSI from an oversold state. It did today. That's why I said we're close to a local top. This behavior has been present during both bull and bear markets in TSLA. The pullback may last only a few days.
View attachment 1018912
Yall know about the 209 level. Here's another one. 206.86

That is the daily supertrend resistance. The red staircase looking line on my chart.

It is a very strong resistance. Very hard to break on 1st try from an oversold state. This level is 206.86 right now. Pay attention to all the red arrows. While it's very difficult for the stock to break this resistance on 1st try, once it's finally broken, the stock has ALWAYS retested the breakout level. Sometimes just a few days later, sometimes a few weeks later, but it's always retested it.

To break this level, the stock has to close over 206.86 on the daily timeframe. So the plan, if you're stuck with ITM CC, is very simple:

Just hold out and assume it will get rejected at 206.86 on the daily. It may violate it intraday, but assume it will go back down before EOD. As long as this is the case, wait for the rejection and an eventual retracement to mid 190s, where you can close your call.

However, if the stock can close over 206.86 on the daily, you know it means business. In this case, be prepare to roll your calls out or straight up close it the next time you see 206.86, however long it takes. The next time you see 206.86, the stock may just be going straight down but it can also just tap it before shooting straight up, so I'd not take any chance if it can close above 206.86 on any day.

It means that if you're holding any CC lower than 207.5, there's a chance, however slim it is, you may pay a very steep price to close it out. If you're holding CC over 207.5, the smart thing to do would be to trust the process, and keep rolling it out week by week. If it shoots up and you get scared & roll it out 6 months, by the time it retests 206.86, your CC will not be looking pretty / easy to close out for breakeven.

View attachment 1018913

That’s awesome. My son was also fascinated by that illustration of boring operations.

But I was actually talking about the tanks he talks about later in the video, not the ones in the video thumbnail.

The tanks I’m talking about are new, massive, stainless steel tanks, right next to the main factory. I’ll add a screenshot here.

I’ve heard some speculate that they are for paint… But I can’t imagine them needing that much more paint. Maybe we’re gonna go like the Saturn and make ABS injected body panels.View attachment 1019028
I don't think final paint would be in those tanks. Those would hold the pretreat dip, ecoat, and/or spray rinse liquids, along with the under booth capture water (if used in this system). Used in conjuction with the big swimming pool looking tanks.

And if one acquires 4 PW3s (apparently the maximum per unit), then one has the ability to have 4*6= 24 separate arrays? More: the material also states "scalable up to four units." So...conceivably up to 4 units of 4 PW3s = 13.5kWh * 16 = 216kWh - that's ample for me even in the depths of an Arctic Circle winter. Just trying to envision my non-existent next home project...if I'm understanding these data correctly.

I think this post on X confirms some of the details:

So, the way I read that is you can have a single PW3, and then add up to 40.5kWh of additional battery packs to it. (Not adding any additional inverter capacity.) And then you can have up to 4 of those systems. So, each fully built out PW3 system has 11.5kW of inverters and 54kWh of energy storage. So the maximum system is 46kW of solar/inverter capacity and 216kWh of storage.

But I haven't seen anywhere that you can purchase the battery expansion packs. (Or anyone that has reported getting one installed.)

I think from the chart... shorts are afraid to dig in here. Wimpy response... I think we're gonna be OK today.
The 170 Puts for next week kinda fizzled out yesterday as it appears they moved to 190.
Shortz are on their heels now, I think. (Maybe I think too much, lol)
Don't think of bulls and bears as separate entities. The people buying at 180 were probably the same people selling at 207. There're only retails vs big money. Once the trade got off balance too heavy on the short side, the whales turned the knob the other way and they're not gonna stop until it's reached a level where most retail shorts will give up, then suddenly the "bears" will be back while in fact it's probably gonna be the same people and algos that are buying today. We're not at that level yet.

The Boring website says it bores at 1 mile per week.

So, two weeks (by Elonograph timekeeping) for setup and two days to bore under the highway to the South end of the factory?

Same website also says "...allows Prufrock to begin tunneling within 48 hours of arrival onsite." Joe first spotted Boring tunnel liners in last mid-December, then approximately two weeks ago many boring machine sections (all of them?) were delivered.

From Joe's video, it takes a long time to get one section to be installed. Then after digging for a while, (according to Joe) another section needs to be added. So assume Boring company actually tunnels that fast (1 mile per week), it likely is the max speed when all the sections are in place. The limiting factor seems to be how fast they can get it start digging. Then after digging, how fast they can get it out.

So maybe the tail end of Q2?

I think this post on X confirms some of the details:

So, the way I read that is you can have a single PW3, and then add up to 40.5kWh of additional battery packs to it. (Not adding any additional inverter capacity.) And then you can have up to 4 of those systems. So, each fully built out PW3 system has 11.5kW of inverters and 54kWh of energy storage. So the maximum system is 46kW of solar/inverter capacity and 216kWh of storage.

But I haven't seen anywhere that you can purchase the battery expansion packs. (Or anyone that has reported getting one installed.)

Yes, confirmed - I'm in the process of getting Tesla Solar Panels. Also, got confirmation that all solar customers (with installations starting) in 2024 get Powerwall 3.

I asked, specifically, if we're ever going to see a residential heat pump from Tesla btw...just got uncomfortable laughter back from the site surveyor saying he had no idea lol 😢😭

Last edited:
Same website also says "...allows Prufrock to begin tunneling within 48 hours of arrival onsite." Joe first spotted Boring tunnel liners in last mid-December, then approximately two weeks ago many boring machine sections (all of them?) were delivered.

Someone somewhere said that The Boring Company used this job to train a new team on a new machine. Since Tesla is a customer not in that much of a hurry here.

From Joe's video, it takes a long time to get one section to be installed. Then after digging for a while, (according to Joe) another section needs to be added. So assume Boring company actually tunnels that fast (1 mile per week), it likely is the max speed when all the sections are in place. The limiting factor seems to be how fast they can get it start digging. Then after digging, how fast they can get it out.

So maybe the tail end of Q2?

This is why I specified the use of a calibrated Elonograph for measuring time span for this.

As I understand it,

The addition of each tunnel ring (six of the pieces stacked on the ground assemble into one ring) is automated as the machine runs. So, it bores the length of a ring section, retracts the rams, installs six pieces of the ring, and fills the void between ring and dirt with cement, then the rams start pushing again. I doubt this takes very long to cycle for each new ring.

To "take it back out" they porpoise out the other end of the tunnel, load it up, and the completed tunnel remains behind.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
Seems that a certain assertion made last week was incorrect claiming that Giga Berlin's 6K/wk result was due to 'burst production' before the holiday: Berlin is smashing it right now. :D

Tobias Lindh on X: "My new time-lapse video from today at #GigaBerlin​
The production line is running again and it seems that production output has increased significantly.​
I have never seen that many trucks leaving the factory loaded with new Model Ys." /X​

GGZ-S5fXoAAu3p8
The cell production building looks like it is just waiting for equipment. Once they have a line established in Texas they want to replicate I wouldn't be surprised if we see GigaBerlin ramp cell production extremely quickly - particularly given many of the line machines are built by ex Ghromann engineers in Germany.

Reactions: FireMedic
Fun fact, it grinds out about 15 meters/day (give or take for hardness).
The Boring website says it bores at 1 mile per week.

15 m/day works out to 0.17 mm/s, or 13 milliGary
1 mile/week works out to 2.6 mm/s, or 204 milliGary
I have lobbied in the past that we rate the speed against Gary the snail, reported by The Boring Co. to be 13mm/s.
We're not there yet.
When the (w)hole Boring thing started, Elon was talking about the limiting factor being how fast they could get the dirt out. No matter what it is these days, I note that progress is rated against the whole operation and not just the machine's speed. So I guess that's the metric they use.

15 m/day works out to 0.17 mm/s, or 13 milliGary
1 mile/week works out to 2.6 mm/s, or 204 milliGary
I have lobbied in the past that we rate the speed against Gary the snail, reported by The Boring Co. to be 13mm/s.
We're not there yet.
When the (w)hole Boring thing started, Elon was talking about the limiting factor being how fast they could get the dirt out. No matter what it is these days, I note that progress is rated against the whole operation and not just the machine's speed. So I guess that's the metric they use.

Yup! Gary is the official benchmark, or, leaves the benchmark behind as he moves along, or, something like that.

Nonetheless, I like your use of milliGarys and support your efforts for getting this established as the accepted unit of measure for all boring operational velocities.

(It's the weekend now, right?)

I don't think final paint would be in those tanks. Those would hold the pretreat dip, ecoat, and/or spray rinse liquids, along with the under booth capture water (if used in this system). Used in conjuction with the big swimming pool looking tanks.
Treat this as weekend speculation, I but think these tanks could be for paint... the other possibility is plastic pellets, my hunch is paint / plastics for the Gen3 car will be in this area.

On the north side of the factory paint and plastics were located close together, similar tanks were built on the east side somewhere.

What counts slightly against my theory is that in the original factory layout the tanks were possibly some distance from paint and plastics?
Keeping in mind I don't remember where those tanks were. If anything these new tanks may be taller, but otherwise it seems like the same number of tanks of roughly the same dimensions,

Backing up the theory that some paint is happening there is TKS paint equipment staged over on the west side and so far that doesn't seem to include a big tank. IMO if a second big tank is needed for Cybertruck it is probably already inside the factory.

I don't see the need for a large tank for the Gen3 paint process and I am hoping, there is no need to ecoat any part of the vehicle cage, or the panels in the Gen3 paint process.

Some of the speculation on that can a be found here:- Project Redwood (Compact Crossover)

Overall I am hoping that only one side of the Gen3 panel needs to be painted along perhaps with the case for the structural battery pack. I am also hoping that tolleys move though multiple vertically stacked paint stations applying layers of paint for different paint colors at the same time.

If the tanks are for paint, how do I explain the different sizes?

If the paint is water based, one of both of the big tanks could be water,

Otherwise:-
1 Big tank is clear coat.
1 Big tank is the primary base colour which is tinted to a variety of shades as needed
The 2 other tanks are secondary paint bases which may be different shades, or differing amount of gloss.

I imagine tint comes in something like 44 gallon drums.

Paint would be applied in multiple layers it is hard to work out what the maximum area of body panels each day would be and how many layers, also how often paint is delivered...

As this is all speculation I could be wrong, and plastic pellets does have some merit...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Thumper
Treat this as weekend speculation, I but think these tanks could be for paint... the other possibility is plastic pellets, my hunch is paint / plastics for the Gen3 car will be in this area.

On the north side of the factory paint and plastics were located close together, similar tanks were built on the east side somewhere.

What counts slightly against my theory is that in the original factory layout the tanks were possibly some distance from paint and plastics?
Keeping in mind I don't remember where those tanks were. If anything these new tanks may be taller, but otherwise it seems like the same number of tanks of roughly the same dimensions,

Backing up the theory that some paint is happening there is TKS paint equipment staged over on the west side and so far that doesn't seem to include a big tank. IMO if a second big tank is needed for Cybertruck it is probably already inside the factory.

I don't see the need for a large tank for the Gen3 paint process and I am hoping, there is no need to ecoat any part of the vehicle cage, or the panels in the Gen3 paint process.

Some of the speculation on that can a be found here:- Project Redwood (Compact Crossover)

Overall I am hoping that only one side of the Gen3 panel needs to be painted along perhaps with the case for the structural battery pack. I am also hoping that tolleys move though multiple vertically stacked paint stations applying layers of paint for different paint colors at the same time.

If the tanks are for paint, how do I explain the different sizes?

If the paint is water based, one of both of the big tanks could be water,

Otherwise:-
1 Big tank is clear coat.
1 Big tank is the primary base colour which is tinted to a variety of shades as needed
The 2 other tanks are secondary paint bases which may be different shades, or differing amount of gloss.

I imagine tint comes in something like 44 gallon drums.

Paint would be applied in multiple layers it is hard to work out what the maximum area of body panels each day would be and how many layers, also how often paint is delivered...

As this is all speculation I could be wrong, and plastic pellets does have some merit...
Well, making stainless steel panels it’s way harder than making plastic panels. Maybe gen3 is fully plastic outside, a new type of plastic of sorts. It takes care of everything from paint to cost of replacement.

I chatted with a body technician once and it mentioned they were told none of the panels on the CT are to be fixed in any way but full replacement. Cheaper and faster.
Hard colored plastic would be the same. (1/2jocking)

Can someone copy the text or share one of those magic paywall breaking links? The ones I know didn't work

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk told his top designer he wanted to make an electric pickup that would have good driving dynamics and a covered bed—and “feel like the future.”

It was up to Franz von Holzhausen to decipher what his boss meant.

“My job is to take the few words and turn them into many,” said von Holzhausen, a 15-year veteran at Tesla, in a recent interview.

The 55-year-old von Holzhausen, whom Musk poached from Mazda in 2008, is among the longest-serving executives at Tesla, where he has led design for nearly all the company’s models. He’s reported to Musk longer than just about anyone else at the carmaker.

Over the years, he has built a reputation for combining minimalist, tech-forward interiors with modern-looking exteriors with a touch of pizazz, such as retractable door handles or panoramic glass roofs. He helped demonstrate electric cars could be cool and aspirational, not just better for the environment.

Now, von Holzhausen is facing his next big test: Tesla is getting ready to release a more affordable EV that is intended to enhance the company’s mass-market appeal and target buyers on a tighter budget. Today, Teslas start around $39,000 in the U.S.

The company’s next generation of vehicles will debut in a very different marketplace than the one Tesla first entered more than a decade ago. Rival automakers are catching up and flooding showrooms with battery-powered models of their own, putting more pressure on Tesla to stand out. Consumers have been displaying less enthusiasm for EVs than many carmakers expected, and Tesla has cautioned of “notably” slower growth this year.

As Tesla design chief, von Holzhausen converts Musk’s at times vague ideas into physical lines, surfaces and vehicle silhouettes.
The Cybertruck, a pickup with hard angles and flat, stainless-steel panels, has been a polarizing design. It is a departure for von Holzhausen, whose earlier creations were defined by curves and fluid lines.

“Most designers, they find it hard to believe that Franz actually designed that car, because it’s not really his aesthetic makeup,” said longtime automotive designer J Mays, who worked with von Holzhausen in the 1990s.

The back-and-forth on the Cybertruck was particularly arduous, dragging on well into 2019, people who worked on the truck said.

In reviews, Musk’s comments weren’t necessarily “tangible” and von Holzhausen had to make certain interpretive leaps, said Dave Morris, von Holzhausen’s longtime deputy at Tesla.

“Elon was hot and cold. One day he would be really into an idea and pushing a direction, and then we would tease it out and he’d come in, he was like, ‘Ugh, it’s not what I was thinking,’ ” von Holzhausen recalled.

Come midsummer, von Holzhausen took a flier and made one last-ditch effort. He drew a truck with a triangular profile that was unlike what his team had been showing Musk.

The idea clicked.

Those who’ve worked with von Holzhausen described him as decisive, hard to fluster and open to new ideas, qualities that have helped him form a close bond with Musk and thrive at a company known for high executive churn.

Around lunchtime, he can often be found leading workouts in a parking lot behind Tesla’s Los Angeles-area design studio—sessions that started with a CrossFit trainer years ago and have evolved into what some have taken to calling FranzFit.

“I don’t like to lose. Maybe it’s a good outlet for that,” von Holzhausen said of the workouts.

Musk lured von Holzhausen away from Mazda on the promise of fulfilling Tesla’s mission to accelerate the auto industry’s transition away from oil and gas. He has reported to Musk from day 1.

He now runs a team of roughly 300 employees, including designers and sculptors responsible for transforming two-dimensional images into models made of clay. Most of them work out of the Los Angeles-area design studio, an open-floor office located in a converted airplane hangar next to the headquarters of Musk’s rocket company, SpaceX.

For years, Musk visited von Holzhausen nearly every Friday to review the team’s latest ideas. Today, those visits are less frequent, with Musk juggling more companies and Tesla’s headquarters relocated to Texas.

Musk remains “very involved” in the design process, von Holzhausen said. Sometimes, the CEO sends von Holzhausen ideas he saw on X, the social-media platform Musk bought in 2022. Other times, von Holzhausen, who prefers to talk through design ideas in person, catches Musk where he can.

Von Holzhausen, who grew up outside of Hartford, Conn., was drawing at an early age and sketched his first car at the age of two, said his father, Frank von Holzhausen, an industrial designer.

The younger von Holzhausen joined Volkswagen’s design group after graduating in 1992 from ArtCenter College of Design, outside of Los Angeles.

As a junior designer at VW, he was tapped to help out on the concept for what would eventually become a revamped, bubblier version of the company’s iconic Beetle car.

He later joined General Motors, where he met his wife, Vicki, a fellow car designer. The pair worked together on the curvaceous Pontiac Solstice, with von Holzhausen focused on the exterior and Vicki on the interior. The two-seater won Automobile Magazine’s design of the year award for 2006.

The couple, who live in the Los Angeles area, have two boys.

At Mazda, whose California studio von Holzhausen led after leaving GM, the designer’s team earned a reputation for tackling challenging assignments, said Laurens van den Acker, Mazda’s design boss at the time.

There, von Holzhausen worked on a line of concept cars inspired by movement in nature and intended to showcase Mazda’s design trajectory.

“They were the ones who wanted to jump on new projects, and if it was difficult, they loved it,” said van den Acker of von Holzhausen’s team at Mazda.

Outside of Tesla, von Holzhausen is perhaps best known for accidentally smashing the window of a Cybertruck prototype with a metal ball at the pickup truck’s 2019 unveiling, a stunt with Musk intended to show the vehicle’s toughness.

Around the office, he works through design problems with a pen and paper in hand, jotting down ideas on scraps of paper that he leaves lying around in conference rooms or on people’s desks for inspiration.

Like many at Tesla, he often wears a black T-shirt as his work uniform.

Von Holzhausen also has been known to bring Musk around to his way of seeing things.

For example, he was among those who persuaded Musk to revive plans for a lower-priced electric car that would extend Tesla’s reach into the mass market, according to Walter Isaacson’s biography of Musk. The Tesla CEO had been focused on making a fully autonomous, dedicated robotaxi without a steering wheel or pedals.

On a recent walk through the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, the designer stopped next to a car he said has inspired him as he thought about Tesla’s future vehicles.

The coupe—a 1925 Rolls-Royce Phantom I—had been customized with large, swooping fenders and signature round doors that opened to reveal a red interior.

Von Holzhausen said, marveling at the vehicle’s ability to convey a sense of motion, “it just feels like it’s been pulled and stretched by the wind.”

He compared Tesla’s forthcoming affordable car to VW’s Beetle or Ford’s Model T—“a product for the masses,” he said, albeit one that “feels like it’s a continuation of the idea of the future.”