Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I chatted with a body technician once and it mentioned they were told none of the panels on the CT are to be fixed in any way but full replacement. Cheaper and faster.
Hard colored plastic would be the same. (1/2jocking)

If that's a Tesla policy, they (and/or insurance companies) should have two options for customers to choose:

1) "Like new" option -- replacement body panels

2) "Post apocalypse/mad-max" option -- weld or attach random-ish scrap steel to patch over whatever dent/ding/hole/etc. is in the existing panel. Maintain the safety / integrity / aerodynamics / etc. of the truck, but don't spend extra for cosmetic purposes. Let the patches rust/patina completely differently fromt he rest of the truck.

Side note:
Has anybody else noticed how the two biggest complaints about the Cybertruck from the Tesla/Cybertruck haters are: "it is ugly" and "damage/corrosion/etc. will stand out and be difficult to fix because it's impossible/expensive to do good cosmetic repairs on stainless steel!" It's pretty odd to complain that it's ugly but also complain that it will be difficult to keep it perfect. I hope a good-sized population of Cybertruck owners really lean into the "it's ugly / it's not a princess wagon like other trucks" philosophy, and either let the dents stand, or cover them up with something that fits the post-apocalypse / cyber / armoured personnel carrier from the future motif.... Even better if insurance companies recognize potential cost savings for a "no cosmetic repairs" option on Cybertruck insurance :D .

If that's a Tesla policy, they (and/or insurance companies) should have two options for customers to choose:

2) "Post apocalypse/mad-max" option -- weld or attach random-ish scrap steel to patch over whatever dent/ding/hole/etc. is in the existing panel. Maintain the safety / integrity / aerodynamics / etc. of the truck, but don't spend extra for cosmetic purposes. Let the patches rust/patina completely differently fromt he rest of the truck.

Side note:
Has anybody else noticed how the two biggest complaints about the Cybertruck from the Tesla/Cybertruck haters are: "it is ugly" and "damage/corrosion/etc. will stand out and be difficult to fix because it's impossible/expensive to do good cosmetic repairs on stainless steel!" It's pretty odd to complain that it's ugly but also complain that it will be difficult to keep it perfect. I hope a good-sized population of Cybertruck owners really lean into the "it's ugly / it's not a princess wagon like other trucks" philosophy, and either let the dents stand, or cover them up with something that fits the post-apocalypse / cyber / armoured personnel carrier from the future motif.... Even better if insurance companies recognize potential cost savings for a "no cosmetic repairs" option on Cybertruck insurance :D .
The rust rumour is absolutely ridiculous. Are there rusty Starships standing in the Rocket Garden? (Russell Brand excepted) Are there rusty DeLoreans driving around? Who has seen any rust on a DeLorean? Has anyone made a video about rust on a 40yr-old DeLorean stainless steel body?

The rust rumour is of course, perfect material for FUDsters trying to throw shade on the Cybertruck, and for those who want to read shade thrown on the Cybertruck - because they won't actually follow up or look for real evidence after reading the articles. But... unlike real rust, the rust rumour will fade away over time.

Side note:
The haters only talk about the rusting IF they bought a cyber(NOTA)truck.
Range
Towing
Hauling
And all the horse crap about the cyber(NOTA)truck

But yeah I am beside myself with how the VAST, and I mean VAST, majority of Cyber(NOTA)truck reservation holders stated repeatedly how they were going to not ceramic coat or wrap, or wash their cyber(NOTA)trucks because they were going to be proud of the honest "patina" the Stainless steel would have.
Now I don't see a single post like, "See how cool my cyber(NOTA)truck stainless steel is patina-ing!"

This is why I specified the use of a calibrated Elonograph for measuring time span for this.

As I understand it,

The addition of each tunnel ring (six of the pieces stacked on the ground assemble into one ring) is automated as the machine runs. So, it bores the length of a ring section, retracts the rams, installs six pieces of the ring, and fills the void between ring and dirt with cement, then the rams start pushing again. I doubt this takes very long to cycle for each new ring.

To "take it back out" they porpoise out the other end of the tunnel, load it up, and the completed tunnel remains behind.
With the improvement that Prufrock 3 can advance and place wall sections simultaneously.
Prufrock — The Boring Company

If anyone is in SoCal and wanted to see 3 customized CT's in the wild:

1708139366094.png

The rust rumour is absolutely ridiculous. Are there rusty Starships standing in the Rocket Garden? (Russell Brand excepted) Are there rusty DeLoreans driving around? Who has seen any rust on a DeLorean? Has anyone made a video about rust on a 40yr-old DeLorean stainless steel body?

The rust rumour is of course, perfect material for FUDsters trying to throw shade on the Cybertruck, and for those who want to read shade thrown on the Cybertruck - because they won't actually follow up or look for real evidence after reading the articles. But... unlike real rust, the rust rumour will fade away over time.

Only if Elon had access to a large media platform to teach the public about the benefits of a Tesla, how incredible the Cybertruck is and why the Model Y is the best mass market car in the world.

An investor can dream.

I noticed the performance model 3 has disappeared from the tesla page. (At least in Canada). What’s up with that?

There's no performance version of the highland refresh (not yet anyway)-- not overseas where it launched months earlier, and now not in the US either.

Tesla is in a weird spot on pricing there too... the LR AWD is $47,490 right now, with no IRA tax credit. The highest they could price a Performance 3 and DO get the credit is $54,999.... which after credit would be only $9 more than the non-performance one.

Last edited:
While the world is amazed by OpenAI Sora...

To the point that Meta AI lead didn't believe we knew how to do it:

I want to remind the people here that Tesla did the same thing 7 months ago:

I recommend to watch a few more mins more in that clip to remind you of the promise of Dojo.

The first link is "Take a short text prompt, and generate an entire video world full of imaginary people, clothing, streets, signs, lighting, etc.... from scratch with no priors"

The Tesla "did the same thing 7 months ago" is "Take this actual real video, and just project a guess at the next frames forward in time"

That is not, even remotely, "the same thing"

About the new USD 25.000 Tesla car:
It would certainly amaze me if Tesla would not think out of the box and hasn’t been looking at completely different/new materials.
Tesla deciding: we’ll make it from steel, of course?
That just isn’t Tesla.

The hard part, however, is not the strength of (composite?) new materials, but the durability (aging), reusability and long time exposure to things like the sun.
Finite element analysis will take care of the majority of strength questions.
I am very curious what materials Tesla will use for this new car!

The first link is "Take a short text prompt, and generate an entire video world full of imaginary people, clothing, streets, signs, lighting, etc.... from scratch with no priors"

The Tesla "did the same thing 7 months ago" is "Take this actual real video, and just project a guess at the next frames forward in time"

That is not, even remotely, "the same thing"

It can be prompted to do lane changes and other things as shown in the video above. It's generating an entire video world full of imaginary people, clothing, streets, signs, lighting, etc. It's a different use case, different dataset and scale/quality but basically the same kind of task. Tesla does it for 8 cameras, OpenAI only for one... Generating the prior is not the hard part, learning the world model is the hard part. And Ashook and Tesla did that.

Only if Elon had access to a large media platform to teach the public about the benefits of a Tesla, how incredible the Cybertruck is and why the Model Y is the best mass market car in the world.

An investor can dream.

As it would turn out, the only things that Elon puts on X/Twitter that get major attention are the disagreeable things. Anything he says about Tesla is either completely ignored by most of the media, or is declared a lie (or labeled as yet another "promise" that will be broken). We here may find it amazing that he predicted (in 2014) that Tesla would sell half a million cars in 2020, and then Tesla went and did it...but everybody else seemed to ignore it. We also know that he predicted the Model Y would be the #1 vehicle by revenue in 2022, and #1 by global sales in 2023...and then Tesla went and achieved it...but, again, the rest of the media ignores it.

For future reference, once somebody decides not to like Elon and/or Tesla and/or one of Tesla's products, they must adopt several key beliefs and loudly proclaim them:
  • Anything Elon says about the cars or the company is a giant lie to pump the stock.
    • The stock price is too high!
  • The entire company is a Ponzi scheme.
    • They also live on government handouts!
  • Fans of the company are part of a cult.
  • The cars are terrible.
    • Panel Gaps! Glass roofs flying off everywhere! Bumpers falling off all the time in the rain! EPA range ratings that don't match non-EPA driving cycles!
    • So, clearly, the millions of buyers of the cars, all around the world, are fools.
  • Elon and Tesla make constant "promises" and none of them are true (just ignore the predictions of "impossible" things that end up coming true, occasionally early, sometimes on time, and often late).
  • Anybody who says something positive about Elon or Tesla or any of the vehicles is, apparently, hoping for adult relations with Elon