Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shape of the steering wheel is irrelevant to steer by wire. Retraction requires a void to retract into and could impact the deployment of the air bags.

Well, we have exactly one example so far of Tesla steering wheel shape with drive-by-wire, the new-style CT yoke. It's the way the wind is blowing, IMO Model 2 will have some form of yoke. The question more at issue to me is whether that 1st iteration in Gen 3 will also be retractable. Time to market tells me 'no', but I've been surprise before!

Cheers!

Weekend Macroeconomic Foray Part 1/3

One of the most potent anti-inflationary means available to an economy is to reduce the supply of money. Reducing the growth of supply is, in fact, a normal function of the Fed. But on occasion, it is possible truly to reduce not just the growth but the supply itself. And the most fundamental "money" is, as all learned in Econ 101 or earlier, M1. All other of the "M"s are derivative of that base number.

Well, I have done my part. My small part in helping control inflation, and you can, too! More next.

Weekend Macroeconomic Foray Part 2/3

Yesterday I had to shop at Lowes. Last of the Big Spenders that I am, I needed to make a big purchase: a $0.85 item; although with tax it came to $0.93. Not wishing to burden its beleaguered cashiers with such a transaction, I went to the Self Checkout lanes (This is getting intoxicatingly exciting, isn't it, boyz 'n grilz?).

At the appropriate time, I inserted a one dollar bill. And out came seven cents change! A successful transaction!

I picked up the change.

And screamed. Yelled.

Loudly. Very, very loudly.

Weekend Macroeconomic Foray Part 3/3

In my hand were two pennies. And a 1917S Buffalo Nickel. That famously most beautiful design of all US coins, with a bison on the reverse and a spectacular Native American cameo head on the obverse. Now, even though what I held is 106+ years old, numismatically it is not of immense value, as it is a stretch to call it in even Good condition.

But.

As a lad I collected coins. I stopped collecting a long time ago - before, in fact, some of your parents were born. Virtually all of that collection came about by the following: My friend and I had $20 (each or collectively I no longer recall). On whatever afternoons we could ride our bikes, we would pedal to the bank, exchange old rolls of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters and buy new ones. We then would cull the day's haul and extract the coins not yet in our collections. Once we had enough earned money to refill those rolls, we would repeat the process. I still have all of that collection and needed to refresh my memory.

Yes: Even way back in that Paleogene Era, I never once had come into my collection a Buffalo Nickel. Yet here was one still in circulation! And it got into my beady eyesight!

So, back to home and Gus just received the Very First kernel of his own coin collection.

Yes: I just reduced M1. My contribution to fighting inflation.

You can do it too!

Attachments

• 1917S Buffalo Nickel obverse.jpg
    1917S Buffalo Nickel obverse.jpg
    772.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 1917S Buffalo Nickel reverse.jpg
    1917S Buffalo Nickel reverse.jpg
    836.8 KB · Views: 6
Sorry to break it to you, but both 'steer-by-wire' variable-rate and the desire to retract the steering wheel from the cabin almost certainly requires some sort of yoke. We've seen literally a half-dozen iterations over these past few years as to what the 1st release may look like, but I think its highly unlikely to be a conventional circular steering wheel with a mechanical attachment to the steering rack.
Remember, Hope is not a strategy, FSD/Autonomous driving is at least 1 refresh away for the Model 2. Sure, we are getting close, but not close enough. Autonomous driving/robo taxi is at least 6-8 years away. Optimus has a better chance of being within manufacturing facilities before robo taxi is out. So, no need for to have a retractable steering wheel for the Model 2 introduction in late 25/26 timeframe. Tesla will get there, but it will be slightly longer than we all would like.

Going forward, stalks will not be present, this includes the Model (2). And some of you think they will engineer a retractable column with a nested squeel or whatever.
If they are saving $50 or $100 or whatever it is by not including stalks on the wheel, why would they include a wheel at all if it's not expected to be needed?
It will be removable from the start with a simple cover cap in its place, and eventually will be only available as an accessory like a mobile charging cable, or spare tire.
As soon as private use vehicles can be sold without a steering wheel, they are gone.

Weekend Macroeconomic Foray Part 3/3

In my hand were two pennies. And a 1917S Buffalo Nickel. That famously most beautiful design of all US coins, with a bison on the reverse and a spectacular Native American cameo head on the obverse. Now, even though what I held is 106+ years old, numismatically it is not of immense value, as it is a stretch to call it in even Good condition.

But.

As a lad I collected coins. I stopped collecting a long time ago - before, in fact, some of your parents were born. Virtually all of that collection came about by the following: My friend and I had $20 (each or collectively I no longer recall). On whatever afternoons we could ride our bikes, we would pedal to the bank, exchange old rolls of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters and buy new ones. We then would cull the day's haul and extract the coins not yet in our collections. Once we had enough earned money to refill those rolls, we would repeat the process. I still have all of that collection and needed to refresh my memory.

Yes: Even way back in that Paleogene Era, I never once had come into my collection a Buffalo Nickel. Yet here was one still in circulation! And it got into my beady eyesight!

So, back to home and Gus just received the Very First kernel of his own coin collection.

Yes: I just reduced M1. My contribution to fighting inflation.

You can do it too!
In grammar school I won a scholastic competition (I know, hard to believe). As a prize I had a choice of a trophy or and Indian Headed Nickel. As a bone-head third grader, I chose the trophy.

Weekend Macroeconomic Foray Part 1/3

One of the most potent anti-inflationary means available to an economy is to reduce the supply of money. Reducing the growth of supply is, in fact, a normal function of the Fed. But on occasion, it is possible truly to reduce not just the growth but the supply itself. And the most fundamental "money" is, as all learned in Econ 101 or earlier, M1. All other of the "M"s are derivative of that base number.

Well, I have done my part. My small part in helping control inflation, and you can, too! More next.
Money supply is something I thoroughly DO NOT understand. In 2020 the word was 'they' quintupled the money supply. My thought upon hearing that was "oh my god, that means inflation will 5X". Since then, the FED had acted to control inflation. I also don't understand what the FED can do and how it effects the economy. Audubon, do you know if the steps the FED has been taking over the last 3 years has been actively shrinking the money supply? Is it no longer quintuple what it was before? Bonus if you can explain, like I'm 5, the mechanism.

Sorry to break it to you, but both 'steer-by-wire' variable-rate and the desire to retract the steering wheel from the cabin almost certainly requires some sort of yoke. We've seen literally a half-dozen iterations over these past few years as to what the 1st release may look like, but I think its highly unlikely to be a conventional circular steering wheel with a mechanical attachment to the steering rack.
We’ve heard from the Musk documentary that there will be two versions of the Model 2. The Robotaxi version will likely come later. “Retail” (non-Robotaxi) Model 2 may have steer-by-wire if it’s cost effective, but the retractable steering wheel will not be on the retail Model 2 as such a mechanism would increase cost.

Enough people have misgivings about the yoke (valid or not) that Tesla would inherently be limiting their audience if they only offered a yoke. Yoke as an option would be fine. Steer-by-wire and a yoke are orthogonal—one does not require the other.

I awoke from a dream this morning in which I was tooling down an Interstate in a new roadster -- steering with a (wait for it)...

JOYSTICK!

Guess I'm just a frustrated fighter pilot wannaB, eh?

Opinion:

I for one hope Tesla doesn’t go with stainless or galvanized or falcon wing doors or yokes or anything unconventional for the Model 2. I want it to look good but be conventional (except for great tech like 48V architecture). No wedges, no yoke, no unusual doodads.

Model 2 needs to appeal to the masses and sell in jaw-dropping numbers. That is going to be much more difficult when you go with something unconventional merely because the masses are closed-minded and often resistant to change, even if it’s potentially better.

The mission is not to see how different you can make the car look. The mission is to get as many people as possible driving Tesla’s cars. Moreover, anything unconventional will probably slow the ramp.

I for one will be disappointed if we get a Cybercar for Model 2.
I think the exterior can look conventional, or more accurately, it can look however Tesla decides it should look.

"Rust resistant steel" and plastic just allow "paint optional".

If the steel isn't "rust resistant steel" it could be conventional steel, or perhaps painted plastic.

Using a mixture of "rust resistant steel" and plastic there could be 3 options:-
  1. Robotaxi - both the steel and plastic are unpainted.
  2. Conventional - both the steel and plastic are painted a matching color.
  3. Unconventional - steel is painted, plastic is unpainted.
The primary reasons to do adopt this approach are:-
  • Reduced capex allowing a faster cut and paste of Gen3 factories.
  • Reduced production complexity in particular paint complexity - faster paint line speed, more parallel paint lines - reduced factory footprint.
  • Robotaxi vehicle bodies can last 20-40 years and be teamed up with a Jeff Dahn 5 million mile battery.
Compared to stainless steel, "rust resistant steel" is lighter , cheaper and easier to shape, I am not saying stainless steel was the wrong choice for the Cynbertruck, just that stainless only works for some types of vehicles.

For the wheel / yoke they also need 3 options:-
  1. Robotaxi - no wheel or yoke. (including removed from an option below)
  2. Conventional - regular wheel.
  3. Uncovnetional - docking yoke.
Done right, additional customer choice can be accommodated for high volume vehicles, the higher the production volume the more important it is that customers have a choice.

It is equally important that Gen3 factories are lower capex, and can be built quickly.

And for a Robtoaxi it is important that most other parts of the vehicle outlast the seats.

Last edited:
Some interesting news, the Australian government is considering offering some financial support to keep Nickel mines open.

Apparently Indonesia is flooding world markets with cheap Nickel.

With low nickel and lithium prices at present, it is a great time to ramp 4680 production at Austin.

And more governments will decide they want to keep "critical mineral" mines open, because once they close they can be difficult to reopen...

Remember, Hope is not a strategy, FSD/Autonomous driving is at least 1 refresh away for the Model 2. Sure, we are getting close, but not close enough. Autonomous driving/robo taxi is at least 6-8 years away. Optimus has a better chance of being within manufacturing facilities before robo taxi is out. So, no need for to have a retractable steering wheel for the Model 2 introduction in late 25/26 timeframe. Tesla will get there, but it will be slightly longer than we all would like.

While I’m not confident Tesla FSD is just around the corner, I don’t get the pessimism that “autonomous driving/robo taxi is at least 6-8 years away”, when there are already autonomous robotaxis operating in select US cities.

If Tesla wanted to do a geofenced robotaxi in the short term (like Waymo does) - I think they wouldn’t need to do much additional work to do that - the Tesla vision perception/comprehension is already pretty good, so combined with hard coded maps in a defined city area like San Fran or Austin, I think a Tesla robotaxi network could easily be operating today.

It is a separate debate, but I think they should actually consider doing it, even if purely for marketing purposes.

While I’m not confident Tesla FSD is just around the corner, I don’t get the pessimism that “autonomous driving/robo taxi is at least 6-8 years away”, when there are already autonomous robotaxis operating in select US cities.

If Tesla wanted to do a geofenced robotaxi in the short term (like Waymo does) - I think they wouldn’t need to do much additional work to do that - the Tesla vision perception/comprehension is already pretty good, so combined with hard coded maps in a defined city area like San Fran or Austin, I think a Tesla robotaxi network could easily be operating today.

It is a separate debate, but I think they should actually consider doing it, even if purely for marketing purposes.
The marketing in this case would be "Tesla copies Waymo". I don't believe that's positive marketing.

Reactions: ThisStockGood
Some interesting news, the Australian government is considering offering some financial support to keep Nickel mines open.

Apparently Indonesia is flooding world markets with cheap Nickel.

With low nickel and lithium prices at present, it is a great time to ramp 4680 production at Austin.

And more governments will decide they want to keep "critical mineral" mines open, because once they close they can be difficult to reopen...
There's nickel and then there's nickel. Class 2 nickel is used in alloys like stainless steel. It has a chemical composition that makes it costly to refine for use in Li ion batteries. The large amount of Class 2 nickel dominates the market for the metal. Class 1 nickel is much rarer and is the preferred type for producing Li ion batteries.

Money supply is something I thoroughly DO NOT understand. In 2020 the word was 'they' quintupled the money supply. My thought upon hearing that was "oh my god, that means inflation will 5X". Since then, the FED had acted to control inflation. I also don't understand what the FED can do and how it effects the economy. Audubon, do you know if the steps the FED has been taking over the last 3 years has been actively shrinking the money supply? Is it no longer quintuple what it was before? Bonus if you can explain, like I'm 5, the mechanism.
First of all, the money supply needs to increase as the economy grows, lest you get deflation, so that's part of it. Second, the fed has been removing govt debt from the money supply by not keeping the debt on its balance sheet (quantitative tightning), and third they've raised interest rates which directly reduces the amount of money people want to borrow, and since we have a fractional reserve banking system, this means there is less money actually being used in the economy. That's about as far as my knowledge goes, others can pile on. BTW, high interest rates ALSO induce people to save $ rather than spend it or invest it, which also reduce money being used in the economy.

There's nickel and then there's nickel. Class 2 nickel is used in alloys like stainless steel. It has a chemical composition that makes it costly to refine for use in Li ion batteries. The large amount of Class 2 nickel dominates the market for the metal. Class 1 nickel is much rarer and is the preferred type for producing Li ion batteries.

Battery materials are the excuse..... but no mention of Class 1 in the article.

It has been dubbed the "white gold" of the energy transition, but in the past year the price of lithium has dropped by more than 80 per cent.

Meanwhile, nickel is down more than 40 per cent.

Battery materials are the excuse..... but no mention of Class 1 in the article.