Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe some sales advisors do? The ones who have time.

Additionally, to keep with my message - I wish people new to Teslas would ask a sales advisor to ride with them so they could answer possible questions. 😉
People probably don’t expect such differences compared to ICE vehicles. And especially going to highland.

If the advisor is busy, they should stress to watch the tutorials first.

Probably in the minority here, but here goes...

Been riding the tiger for over 10 years now. Also getting closer to retirement age, likely already there. I always thought that the TSLA stock price would become less volatile over time once Tesla became profitable and their earnings became more predictable (Wrong !). The 2022 drop seemed somewhat predictable given the rise over the previous two years, but the scale surprised me (didn't sell a single share), and the 2023 2x recovery was obviously welcome news. I think there are two primary reasons leading to the volume and volatility. First is that Elon is in the news literally every day, with there being a cottage industry of generating stories to attract clicks and revenue off Elon news. Damn do I ever get tired of this. Sometimes I just ignore all Elon news for weeks on end. Second is that the volatility attracts all the momentum traders. Any stock moving 3x in any given direction every year is going to attract the crowd looking to make a quick buck riding the current wave, whatever direction it happens to be going.

Then I saw something happen last week that I might not have seen in quite a while, though I don't track it religiously. TSLA one day was NOT one of the top 5 most traded stocks. Below example is from Friday, where TSLA was 5th, but you get the idea:

Tesla Volume.png

The recent drop from $250 to $190 lowered the P/E from 80 down to 44. While not particularly tickled by this move, it might be that TSLA is entering the phase where the stock price will be more earnings driven than momentum driven. There was a recent run where the volume was under 100 million for 5 days in a row. Not sure when the last time that happened was.

In any case, I welcome the lower volatility should it actually transpire, and look forward to eventual (2-4 years) stock movement driven by the factors we all know are under appreciated by the larger audience. Namely: battery storage, Optimus, the lower priced vehicle, FSD, zero debt. With F and GM guiding lower EV production, and RIVN and LCID bleeding cash like nobody's business, Tesla will have the ability given their profitability to adjust prices up/down given what the competition is doing, or not doing. We are already seeing this, with Tesla killing the competition with lower prices, and taking the temporary earnings hit. Also seems like it is still very possible that FSD or Optimus could end up with a TSLA 2x in a short period once the masses catch on to the potential, like what happened when the "production hell" with the M3 ended and Tesla first became profitable.

RT

P.S. When the lower priced car is ramped and selling in volume, and Tesla understands what the expected volume and profitability will be going forward, I would still love to see them start paying a dividend. That would IMHO set a floor to the TSLA price and provide a non-creative way for investors to get a return outside of selling the stock outright.

How have you arrived at this opinion/fact? Do you have a source? Also, happy to take this to the AI/Robotaxi thread.

My 2 cents: Every level of government can enact rules, however, you pass whatever their tests require, get your permit and go. If you cannot pass the tests for specific areas then yes, you'd have to geofence to only the areas where you failed or didn't apply.
I really didn't expect this would need an explanation but here goes.

To start a robotaxi service you first need a critical mass of vehicles in one location. You need enough robotaxis to service a particular area. Tesla will obviously want to test the service first and they can't do that everywhere at once.

Do I need to say more?

Maybe some sales advisors do? The ones who have time.

Additionally, to keep with my message - I wish people new to Teslas would ask a sales advisor to ride with them so they could answer possible questions. 😉

A cousin of mine bought a Model Y a while back. Loves the car. However he wasn't impressed with the "15 minute" delivery experience. He told the Tesla person he was "technologically illiterate". (He is a retired pediatrician, specialized in oncology and hematology.) She quipped back "if you are so technologically illiterate, why are you buying a Tesla?". So he quipped back "as a doctor, I would never tell a woman she shouldn't have a baby because she'd never had one before..."

It is always entertaining when he calls me about some new Tesla question that he has. But to his credit, he and his wife have now completed several >1000 mile road trips in it!

I really didn't expect this would need an explanation but here goes.

To start a robotaxi service you first need a critical mass of vehicles in one location. You need enough robotaxis to service a particular area. Tesla will obviously want to test the service first and they can't do that everywhere at once.

Do I need to say more?
Reasonable logic. However, If I chose to counter I would say that the world will all use robotaxis as a novelty initially. Following that customers will book ahead to make significant savings. Lastly, Elon likes to boil the frog. The world won't notice when the network goes from the third to second most popular service in your local area.

Reactions: LAexpress
Almost didn’t want to post this one: I resent very much the cheap phrase “…. killer”.
But too interesting not to bring it to our attention.

Yet unknown how this will compare with Tesla’s Model 2.
Most likely not anywhere as innovative.
But together with the Model 2 this pretty much will mean the end of a lot of old auto.

This video demonstrates perfectly why getting people to drive a tesla is way more important then advertising.
This guy has a youtube channel described as:
"The Old Byrd Farm Vlog documents the restoration and preservation of a 140 year old farm and farm house in Georgia. "

He has no real knowledge of how to drive a tesla.
For instance he strugles to turn the car of :)

But after driving for a few minutes he is sold.

I've never seen this guy before, but I thought it was an extremely positive video from a Tesla newbie. The comments are great.

Last edited:
Mostly more human like because it is not going in a straight line but turning sideways and back and doing a U turn.

Would be interesting to know if this is autonomous or remote controlled.
Also note the shoulder movement, much more human like. In fact, it makes our current President's gait look a bit robotic!

Does any know if Tesla "primarily purchases [Nvidia’s] products through system integrators and distributors"? If they do, they might be the customer that represented 19% of total revenue for FY 2024. If not, I’d guess it was Meta(stasize).

From Nvidia’s 10K:

“We receive a significant amount of our revenue from a limited number of customers within our distribution and partner network. Sales to one customer, Customer A, represented 13% of total revenue for fiscal year 2024, which was attributable to the Compute & Networking segment.

“One indirect customer which primarily purchases our products through system integrators and distributors, including through Customer A, is estimated to have represented approximately 19% of total revenue for fiscal year 2024, attributable to the..”

edit: It appears to me the formatting of posts here does not respect double spaces between sentences. Is that the case? If so, that is obnoxious. Yes, I’m aware it’s a trend not to use them—I’ll refrain from characterizing what I think of the trend—nevertheless the author’s usage should be respected lest quality posts be discouraged.

edit II: Whoever it was, it looks like Dojo was a worthwhile bet.

Last edited:
And yet when the inevitable correction comes, TSLA will go down with the rest of them.

Speaking of a correction, the fear and hype cycle around NVDA earnings this week is an obvious sign that we’re in dangerous territory… when the whole market hinges on the quarterly earnings of one company, or the words from one man named Jerome, it’s time to be cautious, not greedy, IMO.
If I had to guess, I’d say you’re mistaken on both correlations.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2daMoon
Again, the why doesn’t matter. At some point you either believe Tesla knows what it’s doing and how best to move forward, or you don’t and think you know better.
I think you have me confused with these groups you mentioned. I’m not saying I know better, it’s others who think they know “how” it rolls out. To the point, both sides started off with”NO” as I recall. Whereas, I’m the one saying either is possible… because… wait for it… we don’t know.

So to be clear, full rollout is possible, so is geofencing at first, and maybe in China. I’m seriously in neither camp, I only speak in probabilities not the absolute here.

This is a recurring pattern by folks here, fixed on their way or the highway. This posturing would never allow a path towards catching rockets. It is self limiting in both person and culture.