Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um - as the reigning royal of sarcasm, I’ve either not had enough pommes frites today or Hostess Ho-Hos if that post was a joke.

In that case, I wonder your thoughts on if it would be legally and financially feasible for Tesla and/or Elon to purchase this offending law firm before any judgement of payment is finalized.

How much could the whole firm really be valued at (aside from whatever value is assigned for the possibility they have of being awarded TSLA shares)?

And, after such a hypothetical purchase, would Tesla paying whatever owed shares to this law firm, and therefore to itself, qualify as the share buyback that a few folks have been clamoring for?

1. Are you a Tesla shareholder?
2. Did you vote yes to Elon’s 2018 compensation package?

If you said yes to either question you should be both angry and concerned.

And no, nobody is having to buy 6B worth of TSLA on the open market.
Yes and yes. And I still don’t understand. A guy hires a lawyer and agrees to pay him if he wins. He wins so he has to pay him. What has this got to do with Tesla or the Tesla shareholders? Tesla was never part of the contract between the lawyer and the guy who hired them - just the subject of the litigation.

What has this got to do with Tesla or the Tesla shareholders?

This law firm is asking the judge to award 29M shares for TSLA stock. That comes out of your pocket, either as dilution of your existing shares, or cash from Tesla to buyback shares.

I remind you that their is exactly zero chance that Elon, the Board, or TSLA shareholders will agree to this award, if the judge is foolish enough to grant this award.

I look for this judge to submit her nomination for US Senate not later than the Sep 09, 2024 deadline. The 200 page finding she wrote wasn't a judgement, it was a manafesto against wealth and risk vs reward.

If she's elected, I expect she'll propose a 1% annual "wealth" tax on billionare stock owners (likely cleverly capped to be restricted to Elon to start).

#Predict

Those horribly wrong numbers come from microsoft copilot. So I guess... sell shares in MSFT? :D
Thanks for corrections. They did seem wrong to me, but I stupidly trusted the very authoritative sounding chatbot...
please don't ever ask for numbers to these AIs.
sometimes I find errors even if I ask them to read a specific document (in chatGPT 4).

This law firm is asking the judge to award 29M shares for TSLA stock. That comes out of your pocket, either as dilution of your existing shares, or cash from Tesla to buyback shares.

I remind you that their is exactly zero chance that Elon, the Board, or TSLA shareholders will agree to this award, if the judge is foolish enough to grant this award.

I look for this judge to submit her nomination for US Senate not later than the Sep 09, 2024 deadline. The 200 page finding she wrote wasn't a judgement, it was a manafesto against wealth and risk vs reward.

If she's elected, I expect she'll propose a 1% annual "wealth" tax on billionare stock owners (likely cleverly capped to be restricted to Elon to start).

#Predict
Well, they ask for 10% of what they saved.
So that would be Options on 29m shares with a 5 year holding requirement, vesting only if being an officer of Tesla....

Been on the “road “ these past three weeks spending a week each in Singapore Hong Kong and shanghai. Given I have been a Tesla owner and shareholder in the UK for the past 7 years I am always interested in observing what is going on elsewhere in respect to EV s and the wider sustainability developments.

It’s been quite eye opening.

Singapore very much gets the dunces hat. In one week I only saw 1 Tesla and 1 BYD. The entire city state is an energy hog with no obvious serious attempts at sustainable development and building energy conservation. Even worse there is greenwash everywhere claiming environmental progress which is not evident at all, at least to a visitor. The place really does score 0/10 for any kind of serious sustainability progress. Clearly owned and dominated by big oil.

Hong Kong ( where I used to live) surprisingly is doing much better and that was a big surprise. Lots of ev. Dominated by Tesla and BYD. Electric taxis. But no real progress on bus and trucks. Some clear and obvious efforts on energy conservation projects Overall not great but probably a 4/10 and making some genuine effort. Keep going !

The star of the show however was Shanghai. Since I last visited 5 years ago the change is dramatic. 70-80% of cars on the road are electric. All the buses are electric. Many smaller trucks and pretty much all the motor bikes. The upshot is the streets are very quiet compared with before …and the air is clear ! Wow. Well done China. This is how it should be. Huge efforts to green the grid with solar wind hydro and nuclear. Much still to do to eliminate hydro carbon generation but seems like great progress. 8/10 for sure. If only the other major cities in the world got this serious (Singapore ???).

There is an interesting thread here. China is an importer of oil. Hence big incentive to go electric. The big hang outs around the world tend to be the big oil producers. Yes you know who they are …. and that is where the ridiculous fud we see all the time seems come from.

In terms of cars there so many brands in evidence on the road in Shanghai many of which I have no idea what make they are. Most of the taxis are ev. Gone are those old bone shaker vw Passat they used to drive. Now they are Roewe. Probably wouldn’t win any EV prizes but they clearly fulfill a purpose Plenty of Tesla which given all the competition seem to have done an incredible job to protect their market share. But be careful not to diss all the Chinese EV. My friend had a NIO ES8 ( I think that was the model). Model x class suv. Was a lovely car. Quality was as good ( and probably better) than my 2017 s90d. I particularly liked the head up display and noticed things like blind spot warnings on the mirrors. All those little things that Tesla consciously chooses to ignore. There are plenty of punters out there who go for that stuff.

While many places dither and trying to push back against ev s china just continues to invest and improve its product. The US which has the only global leading EV company outside China continues to bash its own child ( makes no sense to me other than big oil being threatened) while Europe just moans that they need to protect their old tired auto brands from “cheap “ imports rather than getting on with making it happen.

Really has been an eye opener. Meanwhile back in the uk given I am denied a RHD replacement for my S, I am awaiting the performance version of the new model 3. Having checked out the long range version this will be a good replacement for my S. much as I will miss it. :)

Hope these observations have some value for the forum.

Been on the “road “ these past three weeks spending a week each in Singapore Hong Kong and shanghai. Given I have been a Tesla owner and shareholder in the UK for the past 7 years I am always interested in observing what is going on elsewhere in respect to EV s and the wider sustainability developments.

It’s been quite eye opening.

Singapore very much gets the dunces hat. In one week I only saw 1 Tesla and 1 BYD. The entire city state is an energy hog with no obvious serious attempts at sustainable development and building energy conservation. Even worse there is greenwash everywhere claiming environmental progress which is not evident at all, at least to a visitor. The place really does score 0/10 for any kind of serious sustainability progress. Clearly owned and dominated by big oil.

Hong Kong ( where I used to live) surprisingly is doing much better and that was a big surprise. Lots of ev. Dominated by Tesla and BYD. Electric taxis. But no real progress on bus and trucks. Some clear and obvious efforts on energy conservation projects Overall not great but probably a 4/10 and making some genuine effort. Keep going !

The star of the show however was Shanghai. Since I last visited 5 years ago the change is dramatic. 70-80% of cars on the road are electric. All the buses are electric. Many smaller trucks and pretty much all the motor bikes. The upshot is the streets are very quiet compared with before …and the air is clear ! Wow. Well done China. This is how it should be. Huge efforts to green the grid with solar wind hydro and nuclear. Much still to do to eliminate hydro carbon generation but seems like great progress. 8/10 for sure. If only the other major cities in the world got this serious (Singapore ???).

There is an interesting thread here. China is an importer of oil. Hence big incentive to go electric. The big hang outs around the world tend to be the big oil producers. Yes you know who they are …. and that is where the ridiculous fud we see all the time seems come from.

In terms of cars there so many brands in evidence on the road in Shanghai many of which I have no idea what make they are. Most of the taxis are ev. Gone are those old bone shaker vw Passat they used to drive. Now they are Roewe. Probably wouldn’t win any EV prizes but they clearly fulfill a purpose Plenty of Tesla which given all the competition seem to have done an incredible job to protect their market share. But be careful not to diss all the Chinese EV. My friend had a NIO ES8 ( I think that was the model). Model x class suv. Was a lovely car. Quality was as good ( and probably better) than my 2017 s90d. I particularly liked the head up display and noticed things like blind spot warnings on the mirrors. All those little things that Tesla consciously chooses to ignore. There are plenty of punters out there who go for that stuff.

While many places dither and trying to push back against ev s china just continues to invest and improve its product. The US which has the only global leading EV company outside China continues to bash its own child ( makes no sense to me other than big oil being threatened) while Europe just moans that they need to protect their old tired auto brands from “cheap “ imports rather than getting on with making it happen.

Really has been an eye opener. Meanwhile back in the uk given I am denied a RHD replacement for my S, I am awaiting the performance version of the new model 3. Having checked out the long range version this will be a good replacement for my S. much as I will miss it. :)

Hope these observations have some value for the forum.
I’m amazed at Shanghai. I was last there about eight years ago. Quiet!! Clear air!! Those are astounding accomplishments. When I was first there in 1978 it was quiet, clean, but not many cars. In 45;years the conditions returned but with massive development and activity.
That is imoressive, indeed! Very satisfying to see Tesla as a large part of that.

It is, sadly, less surprising about Singapore. After many decades of Singapore extended trips since the 1960’s there has been much to applaud. Their hostility to Tesla and other EVs has been evident in tax rules, mitigated only by being hostile to older more polluting vehicles.

Tesla should have great success there, but doesn’t because of those rules.

Luckily for the world most countries are more receptive to BEV and Tesla, but infrastructure and antiquated tax rule impede entry in many otherwise attractive markets.

Thanks very much for the observations. They are valuable in helping understanding.

I’m amazed at Shanghai. I was last there about eight years ago. Quiet!! Clear air!! Those are astounding accomplishments. When I was first there in 1978 it was quiet, clean, but not many cars. In 45;years the conditions returned but with massive development and activity.
That is imoressive, indeed! Very satisfying to see Tesla as a large part of that.

It is, sadly, less surprising about Singapore. After many decades of Singapore extended trips since the 1960’s there has been much to applaud. Their hostility to Tesla and other EVs has been evident in tax rules, mitigated only by being hostile to older more polluting vehicles.

Tesla should have great success there, but doesn’t because of those rules.

Luckily for the world most countries are more receptive to BEV and Tesla, but infrastructure and antiquated tax rule impede entry in many otherwise attractive markets.

Thanks very much for the observations. They are valuable in helping understanding.

On the bright side, those cities who harbor the short-sighted-petro-heads responsible for making legislation that slows their transition to sustainable energy might poison themselves by breathing the air as a side-effect of their actions.
(though some may be smart enough to live away from the pollution they endorse)

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
In that case, I wonder your thoughts on if it would be legally and financially feasible for Tesla and/or Elon to purchase this offending law firm before any judgement of payment is finalized.

How much could the whole firm really be valued at (aside from whatever value is assigned for the possibility they have of being awarded TSLA shares)?

And, after such a hypothetical purchase, would Tesla paying whatever owed shares to this law firm, and therefore to itself, qualify as the share buyback that a few folks have been clamoring for?
I try real hard not to deal in made up hypotheticals. In this case, a hypothetical that has less than zero chance of happening. There’s no point in giving it even a single cell of grey matter thought.

Reactions: EQC_ and SAPharmD

Based on your observations of Singapore, i take it you do not understand how expensive it is to own a car there. There is only so many permits allocated yearly for the option to 'drive' a vehicle and you have to go to an auction to bid on them. After that, the import fees are so high on vehicles that you literally have to be a millionaire to even drive a POS car, let alone a tesla. Singapore is a place where public transportation is so easy you do not even need to own a vehicle. Owning a vehicle there is more of a luxury and status symbol.

A guy hires a lawyer and agrees to pay him if he wins. He wins so he has to pay him.
The guy (with only 9 shares) didn’t hire anybody. He was recruited, paid off, whathaveyou to be the guinea pig, the pawn, for a lawsuit initiated by the lawyers.
What has this got to do with Tesla or the Tesla shareholders?
Absolutely everything. These vultures just had a questionable judge overturn a shareholder vote that was approved by 80% of TSLA shares held at the time.

Your shareholder vote just meant NOTHING along with the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of other shareholders.

Does that make you feel good as a shareholder? The judge literally said you didn’t know what you were doing.
Tesla was never part of the contract between the lawyer and the guy who hired them - just the subject of the litigation.
Not relevant. The scumbag lawyers are asking the court to award them 6B (has nothing to do with the 9 share holder plaintive) in TSLA shares as payment for negating YOUR, MINE and every other shareholder’s rights.

The 6B comes out of Tesla’s pocket, which means OUR pocket, and would give these crooks significant power and sway in future shareholder votes.

Do you understand now?

Last edited:
Thanks to WuWa we have the first pics from the new MegaPacktory in Lingang, Shanghai:

From the vid:

Shanghai storage plant last April since the announcement of building a factory in Shanghai, there has been no news, until the end of last year (December 22, 2023) Tesla in Shanghai and the Lingang Management Committee held a land signing ceremony, there is finally a result.

At the time of the signing, it was said that the energy storage plant will start construction in the first quarter of 2024. But about the exact location of the land has not been found, after the Spring Festival, a source with knowledge of the location of Tesla's energy storage plant, through the map to find, the location is located in the southeast corner of the Tesla factory about 1 kilometer location.

It seems to be very close to the Tesla Motors factory. After confirming the location of the factory, we took this photo. At the site, there are already some building houses and concrete floors on the wet ground, which are on the outside of the fence of the energy storage plant, which may be the land of the construction company.

I consulted a person who is doing other works at the site, and he said that the construction of this land will be started soon.

According to the plan, Tesla's Shanghai energy storage plant will start construction in the first quarter of 2024 and go into production in the fourth quarter. The factory will specialize in the production of Megapack, an ultra-large commercial energy storage battery pack, with an expected annual production of 10,000 units and an energy storage scale of nearly 40 GWh. The products of the Shanghai factory will be sold to the global market. The factory will be Tesla's first factory responsible for manufacturing energy storage systems outside of the U.S. domestic market. Another industry source speculated that Tesla's Superfactory in Shanghai will initially be mainly responsible for packaging integration. The battery cell supplier will be Ningde Times, while the utilization rate of self-produced battery cells will be increased in the future.

The guy (with only 9 shares) didn’t hire anybody. He was recruited, paid off, whathaveyou to be the guinea pig, the pawn, for a lawsuit initiated by the lawyers.

Absolutely everything. These vultures just had a questionable judge overturn a shareholder vote that was approved by 80% of TSLA shares held at the time.

Your shareholder vote just meant NOTHING along with the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of other shareholders.

Does that make you feel good as a shareholder? The judge literally said you didn’t know what you were doing.

Not relevant. The scumbag lawyers are asking the court to award them 6B (has nothing to do with the 9 share holder plaintive) in TSLA shares as payment for negating YOUR, MINE and every other shareholder’s rights.

The 6B comes out of Tesla’s pocket, which means OUR pocket, and would give these crooks significant power and sway in future shareholder votes.

Do you understand now?
Krugerrand, you're knocking it out of the park this morning but I have to admit I was a happier person before understanding this is all about gaining power over Tesla.

Trying to predict Cybertruck from model 3 (not Y because 3 was a bigger departure. the Y was a refinement).
QuarterModel 3 Production
Q1 20172,425
Q2 201725,708
Q3 201718,140
Q4 20171,542
Q1 20189,766
Q2 201828,578
Q3 201853,239
Q4 201861,394

Its chaos! Obviously Tesla are way better at ramping now. We are at maybe 100 CTs a day now. maybe 20 days a month, so 2,000 a month? Will there be 3k in Q1? I admit I'm shocked to see that Tesla went from wk to 25k in a quarter. a 10x jump. Even if we assume half that, could we see 15k CTs in Q2? I would be pretty happy to see 50k CT production in 2024, and I'm increasingly thinking that this is likely. Thats the same current output as Rivian, and way higher than the F150 Lightning.
I am not sure the Model 3 ramp was that fast. I got mine in March 2018 and I was VIN 7700

Do you understand now?
Yes, I do. I am just very unfamiliar with these kind of litigative actions. Must be an American thing. This won’t happen in other parts of the world.

Yes, I do. I am just very unfamiliar with these kind of litigative actions. Must be an American thing. This won’t happen in other parts of the world.
It does happen elsewhere, but rarely because in most countries lawyers can't work on commission. If you sue, you have to pony up some money. In the U.S. if you can find a lawyer who will work on commission, you don't have to pay a thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Well, they ask for 10% of what they saved.
So that would be Options on 29m shares with a 5 year holding requirement, vesting only if being an officer of Tesla....
That was my first reaction. Asking 10% of what they saved for the litigant. Which is the quy with 9 or 10 shares. So how much would that be 2 or 3 cents?

It is still difficult to comprehend.