Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla didn't APPEAR to record any Cybertruck deliveries in Q4 (perhaps they were all employees). In Q1, they have obviously delivered some. As the volumes are so small, it is fair to assume Q1 will be the first quarter to show material negative COGS for the Cybertrucks that have been delivered...with actually worsening total COGS for each quarter until the volumes ramp to "break-even"? I'm probably not explaining that well, but basically as Elon indicated in the earnings call (i.e. a drain for about 18 months).

Reactions: samn and Drumheller
Tesla didn't APPEAR to record any Cybertruck deliveries in Q4 (perhaps they were all employees). In Q1, they have obviously delivered some. As the volumes are so small, it is fair to assume Q1 will be the first quarter to show material negative COGS for the Cybertrucks that have been delivered...with actually worsening total COGS for each quarter until the volumes ramp to "break-even"? I'm probably not explaining that well, but basically as Elon indicated in the earnings call (i.e. a drain for about 18 months).
We're still on the Founder Series at a premium price, so hoping there is some margin remaining... or not negative. I think that was the whole strategy for FS (along with batteries).

Reactions: samn
We're still on the Founder Series at a premium price, so hoping there is some margin remaining... or not negative. I think that was the whole strategy for FS (along with batteries).
Had to do it:
1709574941283.png

Consider this my last hands on report on the EV adoption on my region and city here in Brazil, because unless I start keeping track of license plates, there is too many, from the top of my head, at least 10 BYDs, 3 GWM Oras, a handful of GWM Haval PHEV, a few Volvos, at least two comercial BYD vans

Yesterday after a few hours of off-roading I stopped in a tiny 5k pop rural city that is off the beaten path and not along any main road to get something to drink, while I'm enjoying my nice and cold sugarcane juice in the one and only town square, a BYD Seal pull up to do the same

View attachment 1024507
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/account/
Ok, just one more, now there is two Seals

giphy.gif

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: M|S|M MYP

Different ways to interpret what Elon said about the Cybertruck:

"It's a great product, but financially, it will take, I don't know, a year to 18 months before it is a significant positive cash flow contributor."

My mind focuses on that word "significant."

Tesla is a company producing and delivering roughly 2,000,000 vehicles per year profitably. If each of those contributes some thousands of dollars to the positive cash flow, then what does the Cybertruck have to do to be considered a "significant" contributor to the total cash flow, even of just the automotive branch of the business?

If, at some later date, 1% of the positive cash flow is from Cybertruck, is that significant? 5%? 10%?

I never felt like Elon was saying the Cybertruck would be a drain...just that it will be a while before production optimization and production numbers are up high enough for Cybertruck to make a notable contribution to Tesla's cash flow. When compared to 2,000,000 other vehicles produced annually, it feels like Cybertruck would need to be up in the 100,000 (5%) or 200,000 (10%) range to become a significant part of Tesla's positive cash flow total.

By that metric, it's debatable whether the Model S and Model X are considered significant contributors to Tesla's cash flow. So, in a way, Elon might be indirectly indicating when he foresees the Cybertruck outselling the S and X....and we know plans for the ramp only keep going up from there.

I've owned $TSLA since 2018 and today is the first time I've sold due to concerns about the company.

I just don't know how many quarters of limited growth they can post in a row before there is some price compression. They are not priced for minimal growth, not at all. Q1 is not going to blow anyone away, at the very least. I only sold off about 15% and I may buy back if the price drops, which I believe it will.

I'm at a point where I need to see something materially positive in terms of growth or earnings. I don't think the Cybertruck halo effect has been a big as I had hoped. Maybe the Cybertruck ramp will start to move the needle, but this is going to take time. I can't operate on faith or "because Elon" any more. Still long term optimistic, but 2024 is looking rough to me.

Didn't Tesla lump the Cybertruck in with S and X on the Q4 report? So yes, they did record deliveries but we have no idea how many.