Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another problem with cellular photosynthesis is that about 50% of the primary energy obtained is used for cellular respiration. The advantage of silicon is it doesn't eat or breathe.

Note that there are triple-junction photovoltaic cells, which are build in layers each optimized to absorb a different wavelenght of light (addressing the band gap issue). Better performance and efficiency, but much more expensive. Typically only used in spacecraft, but not economical on Earth where you can just buy 3x the panels for 1/15th of the price.

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum...

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum...

... because you don't see the economics of solar energy as relevant? Or how solar/bty competes with bio-fuels on an efficiency + cost basis? These are the first principles which determine what works and what doesn't. The Market can ignore that for a while, but ultimately they are pushing a rope uphill. Physics is the law; everything else is a suggestion.

... because you don't see the economics of solar energy as relevant? Or how solar/bty competes with bio-fuels on an efficiency + cost basis? These are the first principles which determine what works and what doesn't. The Market can ignore that for a while, but ultimately they are pushing a rope uphill. Physics is the law; everything else is a suggestion.

Y'all are very smart and educated.

Sortof sorry I brought up the algae thing. In my defense, I did call it a long shot that I remembered being hyped a bit 10+ years ago 😄.

But since it's after hours 😉...from a cost perspective, algae has the advantage of reproducing on its own, much unlike silicon. On the other hand, humans make mistakes and I can totally imagine those self-replicating algae finding their way to a lake, or an ocean, and just forever producing diesel and destroying entire ecosystems.

Sure, there's probably some way to keep them locked into one area, or prevent them from reproducing without human intervention...but according to a documentary film I recall from back in 1993: "Nature, uh, finds a way."

It is still early days for Tesla insurance. Is it at all surprising for an upstart company in insurance to show some losses? (I don't know, that's why I ask)

Seems like not too long ago there was a car company facing similar challenges. Then, after several years they reinvented how to build and sell cars profitably, much to the chagrin of the naysayers.

I wonder what could a company like that do with insurance when given time to apply first principles to the challenge?
I don't know what is normal for the US.

When I first worked in IT in an insurance company in Australia it was normal to make underwriting losses, but offset that by earnings from investments.

Then the income from investments dropped, and the flaws in that business model were exposed.

Typically after underwriting losses the company will respond by increasing premiums, trying to reduce claims costs, trying to get rid of bad customers, etc.

As their data improves, they will get everything more dialled in... So while I don't know for sure, I think it could be fairly normal.

And it would be fairly normal to slowly increase the premiums, and hope that customers stay...

IMO Tesla insurance is a long term play, gathering valuable data, understanding the market, and building a relationship with customers.

Tesla is probably just being paid a commission?

Which is good because:-

They paid out $30 million more in claims than they took in in Premiums... They probably earned some money on the funds in the interim, but rates might need to rise. But perhaps State National is the one actually paying claims?

Tesla is the insurance company, not the agent/broker, so no they do not make any commission on the insurance policies - they bear the result of their underwriting.

They lost $30m while writing $387m of premiu, which means they paid out $417m in claims - about 107.7% underwriting loss ratio. This is pretty bad as the industry average is about 75-80%. Even in Las Vegas where auto insurance is out of control due to tourism, drunk driving, and too much lawyering, in the 10+ years I was an agent for a major carrier the typical UW loss ratio was in the 90% range. Don’t forget UW loss ratio is only what you paid out in claims, it doesn’t include your operational costs yet which easily is 20-30% of your premium written. Based on the Tesla insurance’s loss ratio or 127-137%, most carriers will either have to completely revamp their underwriting guideline, fire current customers by raising their rates, fire the people in charge of rating decisions, and sometimes even exit the market completely.

Hopefully Tesla insurance can get their act together. Their rates for Las Vegas is still higher than what I have currently with Safeco. In my experience, their rates are not favorable for customers who are typically targeted by most insurance companies: high credit scores, home ownership, clean driving record, etc. (at least in Las Vegas).

"There was a burning electricity pylon in the Gosen/Neuzittau district" meant that the power was cut in large areas and the Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg had to be evacuated. The suspected arson attack probably involved a transformer station - everything else is a follow-up reaction. No update from the police in regard of any possible attackers yet. The attack was not on Tesla ground, it was the Steinfurt substation close to the factory.

I wouldn't blame the enviromental activits that stay in the nearby forest, yet. They are not known for destructive violent actions that could endanger human life.

But no one can makeup the crazy reactions of some groups to any change in Europe at the moment. These farmers dung heap on a four-lane highway yesterday AT NIGHT. Landwirte kippen Mega-Misthaufen auf B5 – mehrere Verletzte
And you wounder about SF. Brandenburg is the hot spot! I still hope we all live in a simulation and someone just turns the wrong knobs.

Stay safe!

Last edited:
I've been an environmentalist since I was 20. I'm 55 this year.
I've handed out leaflets, put up posters, written letters, been on a bunch of direct-action protests, some of them huge, some of them very risky, been stopped and questioned by the police, but amazingly never arrested or charged.

The activists trying to attack gigaberlin are absolute muppets. I'm embarrassed that they are pretending to care about climate change. They must be doing this for other reasons surely. Nobody is that short sighted.

On the plus-side, for anyone worried about the current share price (don't be, the whole market dipped yesterday), just follow joe's drone flyovers at Texas. He has daily evidence of an extremely good cybertruck ramp.

Production at Tesla's only European car factory comes to a standstill after a power outage. A spokeswoman said this on Tuesday morning (March 5th). The so-called Gigafactory in Grünheide near Berlin was evacuated. A burning electricity pylon had previously caused a major power outage in the region near Tesla. Regarding the possible cause, the police initially said: “We are investigating in all directions.”

As Tesla continued, all measures were taken to secure the production facilities. After consulting with the electricity provider Edis, Tesla does not assume that production can start up again quickly. In the meantime, according to information from MOZ.de, special police forces have arrived at the scene of the fire.

The fire is not at the factory. It does look like arson though.

The fire is not at the factory. It does look like arson though.
The fire itself is long deleted. It was early in the morning, six hours ago and stopped shortly after. User TommyP reported in the german TFF-Forum a number of Power outages in the morning that are fixed now. He lives in the area.
The local electricity supplier e.dis reports:

Current fault

In the early hours of this morning, there was a fire in Steinfurt near Freienbrink, which also damaged an E.DIS high-voltage pylon. The damaged area is currently being secured. Since the early hours of the morning, E.DIS emergency services and partner companies have also been on site to assess the damage and to initiate and coordinate further necessary steps, such as switching operations. Preparations are also underway to repair the damaged section of the high-voltage pylon.
As a result of the damage to the high-voltage pylon, there were supply interruptions in Freienbrink, Erkner, Neu Zittau, Dahlwitz-Hoppegarten, Neuenhagen, Woltersdorf, Schöneiche and Gosen, among others.
Thanks to the immediate switching measures initiated by the E.DIS network experts, the supply outage could be limited in the meantime.

Due to the ongoing investigations and inquiries by the criminal investigation department, we ask for your understanding that we are unable to provide you with any further information at this time.

Just in:
** Update 10:55 a.m. MEZ**
Due to immediate switching measures initiated by the E.DIS network experts, all affected communities, with the exception of a large industrial settlement and production facility as well as a logistics center, have since been supplied with power again.
E.DIS emergency crews are still on site and, together with partner companies, are preparing to repair the damaged section of the high-voltage pylon. The damaged area itself is currently still secured. E.DIS will start the repair work immediately after approval by the responsible investigating authorities.

First must be Tesla Gigafactory, 2nd is a main logistics center of a big supermarket chain (E-Center). Maybe frozen goods without power? Uagh.
The Supercharger on site report temporarily closed on the Tesla APP.

Last edited: