Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess someone changed their tune on TSLA.
Was weird reading all that and then seeing who posted, I didn’t even know which reaction to use
Their posts have always seemed as rational and fact based as possible. Folks whose opinions change when the facts do should be praised, but that often does not seem the case here.

Note nothing in there suggests Tesla is doomed or anything- simply that we are, as Tesla themselves have told us but some folks in here keep wanting to deny or downplay, in a significant lull in growth. for the next year or two compared to previous. Delivery data and EPS estimates from multiple sources (including apparently Teslas own IR team) all show this so far as well. And the share price is likely to reflect that for a good while.
To be clear, I was joking. Probably there are many people who do think that.

I am buying again these days and I'm pretty happy with the unexpected sale prices. If people want to be short-sighted I am more than willing to buy their shares at a discount.

Keeping in mind your need to prove someone wrong on the internet based on your avatar, what is your take on Tsla?

I think I've been pretty clear on that point?

Very broadly I expect fairly range-bound trading overall for the next 18+ months, that delivery growth will be very very mild, certainly sub-20 percent--- I think hitting 2M for the year is a best case scenario and find the folks who have still been calling for 2.4 and 2.5 million to be.... in need of more research.

I think energy will become a larger, welcome, part of the financial results, but just the single megapack factory will not be enough to fully offset the low-by-previous-standards #s auto will be putting up margin wise, and that EPS this year will be much lower than folks were predicting back in the glory days of 30% margins forever.

And that we're not going to have much chance of returning to previous ATHs for a good while when all this is happening-- after which, assuming excellent execution by the company, we'd return to a period of rapid growth and improving margins, prompting another very nice run up in share price, thanks to next gen vehicles.

I don't expect robots to have any meaningful revenue contribution in those 18+ months, and I expect FSD to have very little (there'd be a trickle if the EU gets FSDbeta made available, but the take rate even before the EU was nerfing features there even on EAP has always been poor- so it's not going to be massive- and we're not getting robotaxis in this period at all)

What's your take?

Why are you here on this thread?

I've been here for years- I'm a tesla investor, this is the investor discussion thread- do you question everyone's motivations or am I special in some way?

Do you still believe in Tsla as an investment?

Long term absolutely, I still have what many financial experts would call an hilariously dumb % of my net worth invested in the company-- but that's $ I can afford to wait out this lull with-- and as someone who has also been a member of the 'other' thread for years I can also still make money during flat and down periods by being the house and letting others pay me to make less informed bets.

But I can certainly understand why, seeing facts on the ground for this lull period we are in, someone else might choose to have sold and put the $ somewhere it's likely to do better in that period--esp. if they're not comfortable playing around in things like selling CCs... or perhaps they're someone who will need it sooner than the couple years or more it'll take to get back to ATHs and did something else with it as a result- that too I could understand.

I am buying again these days and I'm pretty happy with the unexpected sale prices. If people want to be short-sighted I am more than willing to buy their shares at a discount.
/S and the end of your post would have cleared this up :) Glad to see you are still on board.

I think I've been pretty clear on that point?

Very broadly I expect fairly range-bound trading overall for the next 18+ months, that delivery growth will be very very mild, certainly sub-20 percent--- I think hitting 2M for the year is a best case scenario and find the folks who have still been calling for 2.4 and 2.5 million to be.... in need of more research.

I think energy will become a larger, welcome, part of the financial results, but just the single megapack factory will not be enough to fully offset the low-by-previous-standards #s auto will be putting up margin wise, and that EPS this year will be much lower than folks were predicting back in the glory days of 30% margins forever.

And that we're not going to have much chance of returning to previous ATHs for a good while when all this is happening-- after which, assuming excellent execution by the company, we'd return to a period of rapid growth and improving margins, prompting another very nice run up in share price, thanks to next gen vehicles.

I don't expect robots to have any meaningful revenue contribution in those 18+ months, and I expect FSD to have very little (there'd be a trickle if the EU gets FSDbeta made available, but the take rate even before the EU was nerfing features there even on EAP has always been poor- so it's not going to be massive- and we're not getting robotaxis in this period at all)

What's your take?

I've been here for years- I'm a tesla investor, this is the investor discussion thread- do you question everyone's motivations or am I special in some way?

Long term absolutely, I still have what many financial experts would call an hilariously dumb % of my net worth invested in the company-- but that's $ I can afford to wait out this lull with-- and as someone who has also been a member of the 'other' thread for years I can also still make money during flat and down periods by being the house and letting others pay me to make less informed bets.

But I can certainly understand why, seeing facts on the ground for this lull period we are in, someone else might choose to have sold and put the $ somewhere it's likely to do better in that period--esp. if they're not comfortable playing around in things like selling CCs... or perhaps they're someone who will need it sooner than the couple years or more it'll take to get back to ATHs and did something else with it as a result- that too I could understand.
You provide thoughtful, well-reasoned posts. I am more of the short and perhaps thought-less type. I believe in Tesla/Tsla and have the fortune of having been an investor for 10+ years. I have made a nice profit as a result of my Tsla investments over the years. If I had initially invested the same sums in the past couple of years, I would not be as assured in my Tesla convictions. I think the next year or so will likely be relatively flat, but do expect that the most dynamic and paradigm shifting company led by a once in a generation CEO (who I do not always agree with on personal matters) will continue to allow me to reap personal financial benefits as well as benefits for humanity.

I’m not going to read all this but I’m going to tell you while you were writing that I was out touching grass [and snow] with my stunning wife enjoying the fact I sold most of my TSLA much much higher than we are at today. Have a great day my friend.

ps don’t look at my profile photo. :)

View attachment 1025321
not sure why you bother posting on this thread when you have sold most of your TSLA ... to gloat ... not a good look IMHO
and to answer @Krugerand ... no that is not his mountain ... from the photo my guess is Mount Washington in NH /Cog Railway

One thing to consider is that TSLA has become somewhat more detached to current company fundamentals, after recent years where the earnings multiple was shrinking ever lower as its earnings grew. That time has passed (for now).

Look at the Morgan Stanley note, predicting 2024 EPS of $0.99. That’s a 77% drop on 2023 EPS. We are currently trading at a 178x valuation multiple of that prediction.

So predicting stock price movement with that level of price detachment from earnings expectations is fairly impossible. Could easily drop to $100, or soar to $300, purely based on what future products/profitability narratives takes hold.

Tesla is the only mega cap with this sort of crazy high earnings multiple based on “predicted” 2024 earnings and earnings growth.

The Art Of War

Never correct your enemy when he is about to make a mistake, thanks for the teachings and for the laugh

What's your take?
A bit more positive than most. Life's good over here too - totally grateful. My moto has always been to "Give it 3 days". That's how fast this rocket changes direction.

I think many here are forgetting that this is Tesla and it moves at Tesla speed. Ya ever tried to catch a cat? Ya, like that hard. Meanwhile, it feels like we're talking around here in straight lines, like 2M in 2024 etc. Instead I see curves with growth and new opportunity ahead, and at any moment.

I agree with the up/down channel we seem to be in (I trade 5% on that fact) but this is based on what we currently know, and therefore the forecast is quite linear in mind. Not only did I read "if all goes well", what about if they solve XYZ or ramp like crazy on CT and drop the price, FSD in China with free Insurance, then throw in 10 other things we didn't see coming?

Today, for example! CyberTruck Charging speed from 2% SOC and pegging the silly software limit at 327,870 Watts of power. Yes, nearly 1/2 Mega Watt of power on a freakin' hose. Cha-ching if we tap that revenue stream from every EV out there. And does anyone seriously think it will only be Cybertruck with this newest chemistry? I wonder if the Meeting with Trump was because he wanted his own CyberTruck. 🤣

I'm thinking the bubble is with NVidia. Chips from others are coming, and there's a long way to go for AGI still, IMO. Tesla's focus on FSD will likely dominate the rideshare market which also may include China who is also pre-certified.

I also have a little interest with AMD and Intel who should be kicking in at some point with AI alternatives (among others for sure). I'm looking forward to some optical stuff needed to overcome the next memory wall in compute, so the market is overheating there I think.

As I recall, bus/data inter-connectivity was a key design strength in Dojo in how every block was connected to every other block or cube. This might come in handy for increased FSD complexity. It might turn out that physically smaller computers, better/faster connections, have overall speed advantages on larger data. And being focused on the driving task (vs AGI) makes this more likely, maybe in just a few days. ;)

People’s attitude is definitely driven by stock price far more than Tesla fundamentals. People were celebrating about possibly buying islands when the PE was over a thousand.
Yes, and the other major difference is time horizon and expectations.

A long time horizon allows a more relaxed attitude to the inevitable up and downs, and allows reasonable expectations when things take longer than expected.

The first question I ask is:- Is it simply delayed, and will it still happen?

If it is simply delayed, but will still happen, patience is required.

Last edited:
While I'm sure Tesla won't make it, this is one awesome looking automobile:
20240306_151720.jpg

Off of X today...

TSLA closed at 174.73 in AH. We will see $173 in Premarket most likely. I can sustain that TSLA doesn't go back up to $190 or $180, but I cannot tolerate it keeps going down to, say, $150 or lower. Anyone can guess the bottom this time?

When did TSLA start to go wrong? Since Elon Musk acquired Twitter and got distracted. And it seems not stopping yet; every development of Tesla started to become slow since then. Cybertruck, Semi, FSD, 4680, etc.... someone must pull Elon Musk back to focus on Tesla.