Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always have a question:
if Robotaxi becomes so successful, wouldn't that mean a great decline in personal-owned car sales? Wouldn't that hurt Tesla's delivery number?
How could that be good to TESLA in the future? (Though we all know that Q1 delivery is not good and Q2 cannot be expected too much...)

Nobody says they have to sell the cars if the Tesla auto profits are primarily coming from SAAS gains derived from operating them as autonomous taxis, and not from sales/delivery.

Tesla can put all excess production into their own Robotaxi fleet to sell a service rather than selling a car.

This is the "disruptive" aspect of the transformation due to the new paradigm established by this AI-based technology.

Last edited:
I completed 19 trips (~228 miles) to/from work over the past 2 weeks where I did not deviate from the route.12.3 was a significant improvement as I did NOT experience a critical disengagement (DE) at all (not just on my commute).I'm currently going ~2.5 days round-trip on my commute to a DE. I'm going to need to change this to % of drives, especially for critical DE breakdown, to show improvements now that we appear to be getting updates much faster.

I always have a question:
if Robotaxi becomes so successful, wouldn't that mean a great decline in personal-owned car sales? Wouldn't that hurt Tesla's delivery number?
How could that be good to TESLA in the future? (Though we all know that Q1 delivery is not good and Q2 cannot be expected too much...)

This is where having modeled Tesla in a spreadsheet and extrapolating for future revenue potential can be very enlightening. Even my own admittedly very conservative Tesla model is jaw dropping.

If Tesla deploys a Robotaxi fleet which can generate huge revenues for every car manufactured, essentially paying the cost of the car off in half a year and then making pure 2-3X profit on that car every year afterwards, then the more profitable business model actually becomes NOT selling those cars to consumers but rather Tesla keeping every car they make for themselves to add to said Robotaxi fleet. "Delivery" numbers are meaningless at this point.

A successful Robotaxi fleet means Tesla becomes the most valuable company in the world, it would be a lock. Now look at how impressive FSD v12.3.3 is and how fast it is improving. Also realize the Gen3 compact Tesla enters production next year and this new car will be the Robotaxi platform.

The math on this is eye opening and shocking. THIS is why it's relatively easy for so many of us here to HOLD the stock even during dour times like this when TSLA is the worst performing stock in the S&P500. Some of us have essentially seen the future, we KNOW what is coming, and it is truly GLORIOUS. (with regards to profits & revenues)

This is where having modeled Tesla in a spreadsheet and extrapolating for future revenue potential can be very enlightening. Even my own admittedly very conservative Tesla model is jaw dropping.

If Tesla deploys a Robotaxi fleet which can generate huge revenues for every car manufactured, essentially paying the cost of the car off in half a year and then making pure 2-3X profit on that car every year afterwards, then the more profitable business model actually becomes NOT selling those cars to consumers but rather Tesla keeping every car they make for themselves to add to said Robotaxi fleet. "Delivery" numbers are meaningless at this point.

A successful Robotaxi fleet means Tesla becomes the most valuable company in the world, it would be a lock. Now look at how impressive FSD v12.3.3 is and how fast it is improving. Also realize the Gen3 compact Tesla enters production next year and this new car will be the Robotaxi platform.

The math on this is eye opening and shocking. THIS is why it's relatively easy for so many of us here to HOLD the stock even during dour times like this when TSLA is the worst performing stock in the S&P500. Some of us have essentially seen the future, we KNOW what is coming, and it is truly GLORIOUS. (with regards to profits & revenues)

Add to this how it is likely that hiring a Robotaxi will eventually cost less than owning a car based on costs per mile comparison.

Economics alone will dictate a decline in ownership and a ramp in Robotaxi use in urban areas.

We haven't touched on how parking and garage space can be repurposed as well as similar ancillary benefits derived from no longer owning/supporting a dedicated personal car.

I still don't see the robotaxi profits everyone assumes will be there. Heck I am not sure if Tesla is even first to making a billion in revenue from robotaxis. Just like with optimus being much fanfare and then all of a sudden openai has a hominoid robot doing same stuff I think robotaxis will be the same and you'll quickly get to a near perfect economic condition, a tiny profit. I think anyone modeling anything other than a basic economic profit, well eyes wide open.

I still don't see the robotaxi profits everyone assumes will be there. Heck I am not sure if Tesla is even first to making a billion in revenue from robotaxis. Just like with optimus being much fanfare and then all of a sudden openai has a hominoid robot doing same stuff I think robotaxis will be the same and you'll quickly get to a near perfect economic condition, a tiny profit. I think anyone modeling anything other than a basic economic profit, well eyes wide open.
As a shareholder I’d love to hear a good counter argument but I’m right with you.

Totally different.
Tesla does not have (yet) an advantage over other humaoid robots in terms of training data.
It has a MASSIVE HUGE OH MY GOD IT CAN BE SEEN FROM SPACE advantage when it comes to training data from real world driving. How do you expect a rival robotaxi firm to get over the massive disparity in training data? How easily can they deploy a million+ cars to every country on earth to be used daily without losing tens or even hundreds of billions of dollars?

I model much more conservatively than most here. Like that James Douma rough outline posted above, my modeling has about HALF the revenues and profits he is predicting, I think he's being too optimistic, but even at half the profits are staggering. And honestly I'm probably modeling too pessimistic, as I often tend to do. 😎

With regards to someone else doing Robotaxis better than Tesla, there is one key differentiator for this new market that will be TaaS (Transportation As A Service), and that is FSD. No one else has anything even close to autonomy like Tesla does right now. The driving data is very important, if you combine ALL the driving data from other businesses trying to copy Tesla FSD, even combined they only have a fraction of the data Tesla does. More importantly they currently have no means or plan to bridge that data gap. Tesla's lead on autonomy is an enormous moat built over many years that can not be attacked anytime soon, and the size of the Tesla car fleet is the foundation of that moat. Without that fleet it's nigh impossible to challenge Tesla FSD.

With humanoids, which are much easier to do than Robotaxis, I agree Tesla will have lots of viable competition. The humanoid market will still be large enough to allow anyone with a good one to flourish, so Tesla will still do extremely well with Optimus. However, with Robotaxis, there is no pending viable competition for Tesla, it simply doesn't exist nor is it anywhere close to existing. Once Tesla solves FSD they will own this new Robotaxi market for a very long time to come, and the only way anyone else will be able to compete soon is to build their own FSD compatible EV's and license Tesla FSD. There won't be another option.

Game over man, game over!

Totally different.
Tesla does not have (yet) an advantage over other humaoid robots in terms of training data.
… How easily can they deploy a million+ cars to every country on earth to be used daily without losing tens or even hundreds of billions of dollars?
With the first half, no argument. On the second, it is not obvious that Tesla has a global advantage over, say, Toyota, which is present in significant numbers absolutely everywhere, even though in most of them they are not collecting data. Tesla has that advantage in every country they have operating fleets and have legal right to use the data. Those legal rights vary greatly by country. Because of legal data restrictions exist in China, EU and elsewhere, the training data is not so obviously accessible.

My own experience on this subject is related to financial data to train risk modeling, so the FSD case is different. The legal issues remain serious data limitations.

Maybe car cameras should have something like our eyelids that can open and close to clean, de-ice and shade when needed.

Can't find it with a quick search, but I saw a backup-cam one car had with a clear plastic disk over the lens, that was larger diameter than the lens itself. It would rotate the dirty section into the mechanism housing which would wash/squeegee it. More complicated than a simple spray nozzle, but likely more effective in some circumstances.

I model much more conservatively than most here. Like that James Douma rough outline posted above, my modeling has about HALF the revenues and profits he is predicting, I think he's being too optimistic, but even at half the profits are staggering. And honestly I'm probably modeling too pessimistic, as I often tend to do. 😎

With regards to someone else doing Robotaxis better than Tesla, there is one key differentiator for this new market that will be TaaS (Transportation As A Service), and that is FSD. No one else has anything even close to autonomy like Tesla does right now. The driving data is very important, if you combine ALL the driving data from other businesses trying to copy Tesla FSD, even combined they only have a fraction of the data Tesla does. More importantly they currently have no means or plan to bridge that data gap. Tesla's lead on autonomy is an enormous moat built over many years that can not be attacked anytime soon, and the size of the Tesla car fleet is the foundation of that moat. Without that fleet it's nigh impossible to challenge Tesla FSD.

With humanoids, which are much easier to do than Robotaxis, I agree Tesla will have lots of viable competition. The humanoid market will still be large enough to allow anyone with a good one to flourish, so Tesla will still do extremely well with Optimus. However, with Robotaxis, there is no pending viable competition for Tesla, it simply doesn't exist nor is it anywhere close to existing. Once Tesla solves FSD they will own this new Robotaxi market for a very long time to come, and the only way anyone else will be able to compete soon is to build their own FSD compatible EV's and license Tesla FSD. There won't be another option.

Game over man, game over!
Well you are modeling so the good news there is that when something goes off kilter you can look and see why. I would say that most Uber profits are in just a few cities. Really less than 20. Actually I meant revenues but lets assume a relationship. Waymo will be there by the time Tesla is doing robotaxis. I'll go out and say I think Waymo will make a billion in Robotaxi profit before Tesla.

I think lots of people would like a FSD suite on a car to drive them in their car and I think software sales could be very nice indeed. Just not sold on the whole taas thing.

For this one your 'study', if it existed, had to be taken wildly out of context. The Leaf drove 100% of its driven miles on Electric. The Volt, did not even approach that. Since there were/are many more Leafs that Volts even raw miles are a visual impossibility.
WRONG, here is a link to one study, "On average, owners of the Nissan Leaf battery-electric car cover 629 miles a month, while those who drive the Chevrolet Volt range-extended electric car go 60 percent further, logging 1,012 miles." The second link found that 82% of the Volt's total miles were all electric. Chevy Volt Owners Drive More Electric Miles Than Nissan Leaf Drivers: Why? or Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf go nearly the same all-electric miles a year - Autoblog

Public Service Announcement (from Not a Tesla App on X): Tesla FSD 12.3.3, update 2024.3.10 should now be available to most owners in the US and Canada.If you haven't received the update yet, go in your vehicle and tap on Controls > Software and scroll down.If you already used your "once a day" software check, then you'll have to wait 24 hours after the displayed time to check again.
I've been impatiently waiting for 12.3.3, which has been trending on X all day. I came across the above tweet, so went out to my vehicle, and sure enough, going to Controls > Software, scroll down a bit and the vehicle will say "Searching for updates," or something like that. Takes about a minute, but then the vehicle starts updating immediately. Will try out 12.3.3 tonight.

???????Then what????

There’s no way to make it check for software updates after I scroll down.

Add to this how it is likely that hiring a Robotaxi will eventually cost less than owning a car based on costs per mile comparison.

Economics alone will dictate a decline in ownership and a ramp in Robotaxi use in urban areas.

We haven't touched on how parking and garage space can be repurposed as well as similar ancillary benefits derived from no longer owning/supporting a dedicated personal car.
Widespread robotaxi, Waymo etc has the potential to remake cities for the better, IF cities are smart and subsidize pooled rides like how they subsidize inefficient buses currently, AND if they take advantage of the reduction in traffic and car ownership before induced demand catches up.

Imagine the space you could free up if you need a lot less parking, less road space etc... You can widen sidewalks, add in bike lanes, and make cities much more livable and inviting, and still have greater mobility than exists today. This could be a huge game changer for North American cities ever since the mistakes of the 1950s+ when cities were gutted to accommodate cars.

With the first half, no argument. On the second, it is not obvious that Tesla has a global advantage over, say, Toyota, which is present in significant numbers absolutely everywhere, even though in most of them they are not collecting data. Tesla has that advantage in every country they have operating fleets and have legal right to use the data. Those legal rights vary greatly by country. Because of legal data restrictions exist in China, EU and elsewhere, the training data is not so obviously accessible.

My own experience on this subject is related to financial data to train risk modeling, so the FSD case is different. The legal issues remain serious data limitations.
Yes legal and business modeling is huge. Many of the posters here act as if Waymo was not already deploying in the USA in the most profitable Uber markets. Or that Geely isn't hiring in the USA to support . Or that Tesla has begun working with the CA DMV on a multi year process to get licensed and approved to have robotaxis on the road.

I'm definitely in the minority here and don't understand the massive appeal others state of a robotaxi fleet for me. I probably just don't get it.

Is having a basic EV such a bad thing so I don't have to sit in someone else's car or wait for a taxi to arrive at my location? I think the overall American public likes to have 'control' and own a car, even a cheap one to get from A->B is not something they will deviate in large numbers. My partner doesn't even like the basic cruise control or any automation (I rightly/wrongly assume the general female population are not high adopters of those features).

Also, isn't labor with Uber/gig economy cheap due to low pay/benefits of the drivers? Large robo-taxi fleets will still need to be charged, maintenance, cleaning, repairs (Hertz example).

I suppose being driven in a robo-taxi when one can go to sleep in the back seat is nice for a very long commute/drive is nice, but is that soon or would I bother if I don't have a long commute?

Does the math work where someone pays $30k-$40k for a Tesla, spends another $12k for FSD, and just robo-taxi it out with all the maintenance/repairs/cost of it to make some bucks drivng others around?

I'm definitely in the minority here and don't understand the massive appeal others state of a robotaxi fleet for me. I probably just don't get it.

Is having a basic EV such a bad thing so I don't have to sit in someone else's car or wait for a taxi to arrive at my location? I think the overall American public likes to have 'control' and own a car, even a cheap one to get from A->B is not something they will deviate in large numbers. My partner doesn't even like the basic cruise control or any automation (I rightly/wrongly assume the general female population are not high adopters of those features).

Also, isn't labor with Uber/gig economy cheap due to low pay/benefits of the drivers? Large robo-taxi fleets will still need to be charged, maintenance, cleaning, repairs (Hertz example).

I suppose being driven in a robo-taxi when one can go to sleep in the back seat is nice for a very long commute/drive is nice, but is that soon or would I bother if I don't have a long commute?
The people who think car ownership will end are on the opposite end of the extreme of those that think there's no market for robo-taxi. Like most things in the world, the truth is in the middle. There's a market in big cities and it would generate a ton of revenue, but in the US, people will still own cars, especially outside of large cities.