Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I question the amount of margin people expect on autonomous TAAS, but I do not question autonomous TAAS. If you have autonomy you will have large-scale TAAS, because it effectively creates awesome public transportation and vehicle rental. I think it would be likely to wipe out the lower end of the vehicle market in urban areas and reduce ownership in other sections of the market.

Vehicle ownership at the lower end of the market is high cost, low quality and risky. TAAS with autonomous vehicles removes risk and improves quality.
Also, expect employers to offer free ride-share commuting, for example, removing a large motivation for vehicle ownership.
Ok, I agree. I expect lots of robotaxis when they happen. I don't expect huge profits. I am really not sure on the vehicle ownership, buying an old scion or corolla for $1-2k and paying gas and 50/month in insurance is going to be very hard to beat. Then you have public transportation to compete with in NYC, Chicago, etc. I just think transportation will prove a hard profit nut to crack.

Largely???
How about partially.

How about it was literally the only reason given.

If Tesla were concerned about demand they would not have boosted inventory (now at 28 days calculated). Loss of production earlier in the quarter leads to move in transit as they catch up later in the quarter (theoretically).

So somehow they BOTH:

Lost significant amounts of production during the quarter.
AND
almost doubled days of inventory during the quarter.

And there's still plenty of demand?

Does. Not. Compute.

If there was demand they'd have just delivered from inventory on those orders regardless of factory shutdowns.

The only exception is refresh-3s in the US, where Fremont fumbled yet another refresh so there were no cars being built at all for a while (and the earliest orders only began getting VINs in the last couple weeks).

But most estimates of lost deliveries on the US 3 are around 30k, which would still not even get you to Troys lower-than-anyone-else-but-the-cat estimates.

Last edited:
Largely???
How about partially.

If Tesla were concerned about demand they would not have boosted inventory (now at 28 days calculated). Loss of production earlier in the quarter leads to move in transit as they catch up later in the quarter (theoretically).
I like your posts but I think you are off here. We've seen plenty of other examples of companies fumbling inventory and it seems that is the case. Something has to give at Tesla, profits, etc.

Now EMs frantic efforts to goose FSD software sales makes sense.

I'm definitely in the minority here and don't understand the massive appeal others state of a robotaxi fleet for me. I probably just don't get it.

Is having a basic EV such a bad thing so I don't have to sit in someone else's car or wait for a taxi to arrive at my location?

It may not be for you, or me for that matter, I like to drive.

Though, for most, the basic economic equation will likely lean toward people preferring a private chauffeur-service over ownership. Particularly when the Robotaxi could save the user money, when all ownership costs (parking, time, hassle) are weighed.

Pretty much all persons living in an apartment or dense urban environment with challenging or costly parking hassles will jump at the chance to rid themselves of the headaches that come with car ownership.

Folks in the suburbs and rural areas are more likely to prefer ownership. Though anyone wanting to use their garage and driveway space for something other than parking their car while not in use (a significant portion of the time) might see some advantages to Robotaxi only, or, reducing their household from a two or more car family, to a single car + Robotaxi scenario.

If I don't need to park, nor a garage, insurance, service, changing to winter tires, cleaning etc, and can order a car to take me (and family/friends) from and to wherever at any time and can sleep, watch a movie, be drunk etc and can do this at a cost that is lower than that of owning and driving my own car and without any need to finance it, it seems an obviously more appealing alternative to me.

I don´t question there would be demand for a robotaxi but the obstacles of getting a working service in place anytime soon seem underestimated to me. But good enough if a lot of people are willing to pay for the convenience of FSD. Will be very interesting to see how many of those people who get to try it out for free are converted into subscribers.
Sound like one cool people who live in trendy downtown condos like Austin has. The problem is that is not the majority of the world, not even close.

FYI

"Tesla will post its financial results for the first quarter of 2024 after market close on Tuesday, April 23, 2024. At that time, Tesla will issue a brief advisory containing a link to the Q1 2024 update, which will be available on Tesla’s Investor Relations website. Tesla management will hold a live question and answer webcast that day at 4:30 p.m. Central Time (5:30 p.m. Eastern Time) to discuss the Company’s financial and business results and outlook.

What: Date of Tesla Q1 2024 Financial Results and Q&A Webcast
When: Tuesday, April 23, 2024
Time: 4:30 p.m. Central Time / 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time
Q1 2024 Update: https://ir.tesla.com
Webcast: https://ir.tesla.com (live and replay)"

Plus this tidbit: (Bolding is mine)

" Our net income and cash flow results will be announced along with the rest of our financial performance when we announce Q1 earnings. Tesla vehicle deliveries and storage deployments represent only two measures of the company’s financial performance and should not be relied on as an indicator of quarterly financial results, which depend on a variety of factors, including average selling price, cost of sales, foreign exchange movements and others as to be disclosed in the 10-Q for the quarter ended on March 31, 2024."

Also, the younger generation isn't all that excited about driving. While most of us couldn't wait to get a driver's license, many kids today see driving as a chore. They are used to being driven and they like it that way. Some of my daughter's friends are in college and they still haven't bothered to get a license.
Sorry, not buying that wishful story either. My wife is a teacher in an urban High School. The kids may not have money but they aspire to own a car, and yes, some of them aspire to own a Tesla.

There is no indication that Waymo has figured out how to make any profit at all.
Yes, I agree and I'll keep that prediction. Waymo makes a billion in profit from robotaxi before Tesla. We can laugh at me later if this blows up on me. I don't equivocate, it is a prediction but not wishy washy.

FYI

"Tesla will post its financial results for the first quarter of 2024 after market close on Tuesday, April 23, 2024. At that time, Tesla will issue a brief advisory containing a link to the Q1 2024 update, which will be available on Tesla’s Investor Relations website. Tesla management will hold a live question and answer webcast that day at 4:30 p.m. Central Time (5:30 p.m. Eastern Time) to discuss the Company’s financial and business results and outlook.

What: Date of Tesla Q1 2024 Financial Results and Q&A Webcast
When: Tuesday, April 23, 2024
Time: 4:30 p.m. Central Time / 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time
Q1 2024 Update: https://ir.tesla.com
Webcast: https://ir.tesla.com (live and replay)"

In addition to not knowing Excel, Martin apparently doesn't know HTML either.

1712064539502.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
Sound like one cool people who live in trendy downtown condos like Austin has. The problem is that is not the majority of the world, not even close.
Many people are conservative but convenience and costs matter more, I think. How many people actually buy their own CDs/DVDs today vs just streaming? I remember a lot of skepticism in the beginning, when many stated that they would prefer to own their music and films.