Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a line from the Reuters article claiming that plans have been scrapped for a Model 2.

"Two sources said they learned of Tesla's decision to scrap the Model 2 in a meeting attended by scores of employees, with one of them saying the gathering happened in late February."

Late February? Scores of employees? It would be amazing that such a decision would not have been leaked before today. In any event, plans could have changed since then.
Hmm, two sources. One says late Feb. Was the other source not able to corroborate this basic fact? Or did this other source disagree offering a different date? 🤔 Late Feb is not that far back in time for memory to be this faulty.

As stated, this is not compelling evidence that the two sources were both at the same meeting. Maybe one or both are just sprouting hearsay.

Reactions: advocate8
Rush to judgement? Reuters stated as fact that the 25k is cancelled. That is not true. This caused a $50B swing in market cap. You can take your time getting there, but Reuters published false information again.
Did Reuters only wrote a title? There's a long article below that title, and we don't know what part is the lie.

Elon reacted 👀 to the idea that Tesla will prioritize the robotaxi version to the one that would be available for sales. No surprise.

Now, if Elon is certain that FSD will be solved by then, what's the point of preparing a $25K for-sale version? Tesla will do everything not to sell that version, for obvious business reason. The robotaxi will be >10x more profitable over its lifetime than the version to be sold to the public.

Is Elon sure Tesla will achieve FSD by 2025? Unquestionably. Heck, he's been certained that it's been done by 2020 😁

I think the "lie" is the cancelation of the $25K model, when it's the $25K version that won't be sold in volume. Same model, different version and distribution model. Both can be produced but the success of FSD is making Tesla shifting all resources towards robotaxi. Is Reuters lying if Tesla ends up selling a few $25K Foundation series a year, while deploying hundreds of thousands of robotaxis?

The lie lies in the eye of the reader.

Last edited:
Rush to judgement? Reuters stated as fact that the 25k is cancelled. That is not true. This caused a $50B swing in market cap. You can take your time getting there, but Reuters published false information again.
minute by minute market cap is irrelevant to me. completely, fully irrelevant. There is no one at Tesla confirming 25k is or isn’t cancelled. That’s one of the big pieces of information-- but not the only one -- I want to see before deciding what to make of this. and yeah, I’m in no rush.

Driving… but had to post this…

Attachments

• 1712340782058.png
    1712340782058.png
    268 KB · Views: 11
A vehicle specially optimized for robotaxi use case will have significantly different design objectives, even for stuff that’s not obvious like aero, suspension, and thermal management. Trying to serve both use cases with one design yields a vehicle configuration that’s not optimal for either, much like how attempts by how other automakers to incorporate multiple powertrain designs into the same vehicle and production lines has been a failure.

I’m sure Tesla has designed the next-gen vehicle to be able to be adapted decently to be used as a taxi, but it will be inferior to the dedicated robotaxi design.

How so? I've always envisioned the Robotaxi as just the upcoming Tesla compact Gen3 without a steering wheel or pedals. Everything else about the car would be identical to the consumer variant.

What do you think would be different about a dedicated robotaxi design that would not allow it to share a platform with a consumer version? 🤔

Tesla badly needs a PR department.
Reuters had 3 sources, all indicating the Model 2 plans were scrapped.
They contacted Tesla for confirmation.
Tesla didn’t respond, Reuters ran the article.

Elon responds after the fact with a vague “Lies” post on X.

If Tesla had responded before the article ran this would have been a minor, or non issue.

Last edited:
How so? I've always envisioned the Robotaxi as just the upcoming Tesla compact Gen3 without a steering wheel or pedals. Everything else about the car would be identical to the consumer variant.

What do you think would be different about a dedicated robotaxi design that would not allow it to share a platform with a consumer version? 🤔
This is being talked about elsewhere, but I think more wanted the RT to be a dedicated design like some other concepts with seats that face backwards, easy to open doors or automatically closing doors, or just a larger platform for more passengers.

None of that means it will actually be different.

Reactions: advocate8
I don't see why many would buy the Model 3 even with the refresh in the US when it costs more than the Y after the tax rebate. Am I missing something? We have been lambasting Tesla for the super slow ramp of the refreshed 3 but are a significant number of people going to buy it anyway?

I see the refreshed 3 at $38,990 and an inventory Y at $34,340 after the tax credit.

View attachment 1035598
View attachment 1035599
My take: Tesla is likely balancing supply and demand via the pricing. As long as they don’t make a lot, they can take higher prices.

States for me:

1. Keep making cars. As much as the idea of EV robo taxi fleet sounds good for the environment and as an elegant solution to the use of cars, roads and energy, even with v12 its at least five years away.

2. In the meantime, since no other automaker other than BYD or any other China company is taking EV's seriously, Tesla's mission is still making the damn cars that people need and want to buy, and that means a Model 2 at least.

3. For some period of years, FSD will primarily be used by existing Tesla owners on a more and more expanded basis.

4. Given the ramping realities I just don't see a light switch type switch for Tesla from car company to taxi company for a long time yet.

My $.02 after the debacle of this morning and after reading the reuters article (and Elon's tweets):

I'm dubious Tesla can handle managing a fleet of 100ks or even millions of their own vehicles in the near future. Their service centers have gotten A LOT better in the last decade but still...

The quicker and much less capital intensive way to do this is to sell vehicles to customers who will also pay for charging, upkeep, and insurance (do you think any other insurance company will touch RTs early on? I have about a dozen bridges to sell you then!)

They can strategically and more efficiently employ the company owned cars where their data shows (they won't have to guess) they are needed. This does fall in line with Elon's statements on the matter as well. Won't even pretend to speculate on the ratio of RTs/customer cars produced early on, it probably depends a lot of the state of FSD at the time.

I do believe the article that Elon will go for the moonshot. I think we all know a lot to support THAT opinion.

Tesla badly needs a PR department.
Reuters had 3 sources, all indicating the Model 2 plans were scrapped.
The contacted Tesla for confirmation.
Tesla didn’t respond, Reuters ran the article.

Elon responds after the fact with a vague “Lies” post on X.

If Tesla had responded before the article ran this would have been a minor, or non issue.
What are the names of the 3 sources?

I thought X was supposed to be THE place to get the "truth"? How can Elon allow this to go on, but bitch and whine about all the other type of "news"?
X is currently THE place to get the truth. It's not perfect but it's better than anything else right now. I also often see things on X before I see them anywhere else, including this thread.

What law, specifically, do you think it would violate?

Because to my knowledge there isn't one preventing a public company from disclosing material info as long as it's disclosed publicly- even if it's between end of quarter and earnings announcement.

There might be company rules about what you can say when- many companies have them (though they vary in details)- but I'm not aware of any law requiring them other than prior to IPO- and the company policies are usually in place so an employee doesn't accidentally disclose non public material info to a select group. Disclosing it to everyone means it's public- which is legal.
Yes, this is accurate... Reg FD requires fair disclosure. There is no law stating that they (Elon) can't disclose anything between now and earnings so long as it is done in the public domain (in a prior disclosure, it was determined that x/twitter qualifies as disclosing in the public domain).

Reactions: 30seconds
“How about a Model 3?” I suggested. Kathy rolled her eyes. “I will never buy a car from that man,” she said, referring to Tesla CEO Elon Musk. “You’ve never even met the man,” I said, knowing that wouldn’t help.

Last week Kathy and her husband, Bill, signed a three-year lease on a 2024 Tesla Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive: $331 per month, with a $4,400 down payment. Their modest monthly includes a $7,500 federal tax credit, a 15,000-mile annual mileage allowance and $1,000 incentive from Tesla, since expired.

Do you believe this? If I were to go to my wife's High School classes and tell them what you wrote since I am sure that the generation you are talking too. Will they embrace this or laugh me out of the room?
@FreqFlyer Specifically what do you mean by "this?"

Do I think robotaxis will provide the lowest cost high speed transportation service on the planet, and when it is supplied, many low to middle income people who now own cheap ICE vehicles will choose non-ownership because they will save several thousands of dollars a year on insurance, fuel, maintenance, and vehicle costs? Do I think this will lead society over time to eschew oil consumption? Is this a controversial concept amongst teenagers today? I'm sort of confused about the scenario you provided I think.

Last edited: