Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm totally not worried about regulation. If robotaxi works really well then nobody will be able to stop it in any jurisdiction. Everyone gets cheap, reliable, private transportation. The benefits to the citizenry are just too great. It would be like trying to regulate against ice cream and puppies.

I’d much rather your prediction is the future. Let’s make a coffee bet.

My hunch is you won’t even believe the cockamamie regulations/proposals/laws that are coming as soon as it becomes evident that 1) FSD/robotaxi is technically feasible and 2) it will be priced to obliterate everything else.

I’ll add that none of this will STOP it, but significantly slow it. To the point it could profoundly impact the business if all or nothing bets have been placed.

Again I’ll much, much prefer your version.

Yes. It was abandoned almost immediately (if it was actually ever implemented) and people here and else where tracked VINs that Tesla auctioned off after they were turned in. They sell the leases and typically make good money doing so.
Yes, Tesla is not keeping the cars, but they still have not taken the rule away hence the hoop they are jumping through to get them sold. It didn't make sense then and it still doesn't make sense today. But I am not here to argue that prioritizing robotaxies is a good thing. No one really thinks it is except for Musk. No one has the power change anything except for Musk either. This robotaxie hill is something he is dying on and there's nothing that shows me he suddenly became bearish on the entire idea. When given the chance, he will abandon cars with steering wheels ASAP.

Reactions: phantasms
And what’s with all the downvotes the last few days? What purpose is being served by giving a thumbs down to everything you disagree with? Let’s respect each other’s opinions, also the ones you don’t like.
So, "we respect your opinion, as long as you don't disagree." Got it.

Why can't we respect the opinion of people rating a post disagree?

I just think one needs to be accurate. FSD is a profitable product because (1) to the extent it works, people will pay for it, (2) to the extent it works well, other companies will more or less have to license it, and (3) a car that can actually drive itself opens up other use opportunities for its owner.

Included in (3) is someone who buys a Tesla just to use it as a private taxi.

However, possibility (4) which is that Tesla spends billions to build a fleet of cars selling trips at $5 is not really, a huge money making opportunity.

Possibility (4) is crazy cool, but Uber, and even traditional taxi companies, make money by affirmatively NOT INVESTING CAPITAL IN CARS. They make the drivers eat that cost.

At Uber's subsidized "drive the taxi companies out of biz" low point a one way trip to my office of 6 miles was about $10 plus a $2 tip. At a minimum of $25 a day times 30 days that's $750 and I haven't even gone to the store yet. If you imagine driving the price down due to more or less constant robo taxi use OK, but I'd be curious what actual cab drivers have to say about this. They seem to work pretty hard for not a ton of dough. And at the moment an Uber/cab driver has a fully modern app available to make sure they work as much as possible.

• Helpful
Reactions: ShareLofty
This was my point of contention. I don't think the rest of Tesla will allow this as it will hurt the company economically. He even joked on JRE if it wasn't for others at the company, no cars would have steering wheels.
The thing is Musk already tried to prioritize robotaxies BEFORE FSD is solved which is insane. Imagine how much he would put the hammer down on a steering wheel car after it's solved? He would convince the board "you give people access to the car's control, they will end up killing themselves".

I'm genuinely curious what other equities you like. Door #3: What measure do you watch in order to consider TSLA undervalued?
Truthfully all my time and devotion has been to TSLA. During the covid nonsense I did very well on PTON and all those other living at home for the rest of our lives stocks. Right now I have a lot of FOUR that I've also been very lucky with as far as when I bought in and as far as selling monthly calls on them. TSLA is still my biggest holding, other than cash collecting 5.5%. I attribute my success mostly to luck and being in the right place at the right time and to many of the great people on this forum, many of whom have sadly left.
The measure I would use is when TSLA does buybacks, insiders start buying, and maybe when the cat finally doesn't agree with Elon on one single thing. :p

Be well my friend.

The thing is Musk already tried to prioritize robotaxies BEFORE FSD is solved which is insane. Imagine how much he would put the hammer down on a steering wheel car after it's solved? He would convince the board "you give people access to the car's control, they will end up killing themselves".
I think there are some very intelligent, rational people at Tesla who like with the MY and previously the "M2" will convince Elon that excluding a physical controls will limit buyers and regions in which they can sell.

My point is that this is one of those grand ideas that will get logical pushback for the benefit of the company. That's not to say RTs won't come, too.

Reactions: JusRelax
So, "we respect your opinion, as long as you don't disagree." Got it.

Why can't we respect the opinion of people rating a post disagree?

I for one don’t like going through pages and pages filled with pitchblack thumbs down. I prefer discussion with arguments. But suit yourself, it was just a suggestion, not an instruction.

I think there are some very intelligent, rational people at Tesla who like with the MY and previously the "M2" will convince Elon that excluding a physical controls will limit buyers and regions in which they can sell.

My point is that this is one of those grand ideas that will get logical pushback for the benefit of the company. That's not to say RTs won't come, too.
However, Tesla is worth zero without FSD solved. He doesn't see Tesla as a car company and could care less about making low margin cars after FSD is solved.