Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just think one needs to be accurate. FSD is a profitable product because (1) to the extent it works, people will pay for it, (2) to the extent it works well, other companies will more or less have to license it, and (3) a car that can actually drive itself opens up other use opportunities for its owner.

Included in (3) is someone who buys a Tesla just to use it as a private taxi.

However, possibility (4) which is that Tesla spends billions to build a fleet of cars selling trips at $5 is not really, a huge money making opportunity.

Possibility (4) is crazy cool, but Uber, and even traditional taxi companies, make money by affirmatively NOT INVESTING CAPITAL IN CARS. They make the drivers eat that cost.

At Uber's subsidized "drive the taxi companies out of biz" low point a one way trip to my office of 6 miles was about $10 plus a $2 tip. At a minimum of $25 a day times 30 days that's $750 and I haven't even gone to the store yet. If you imagine driving the price down due to more or less constant robo taxi use OK, but I'd be curious what actual cab drivers have to say about this. They seem to work pretty hard for not a ton of dough. And at the moment an Uber/cab driver has a fully modern app available to make sure they work as much as possible.
And as a PS, I can even see a fully working FSD with two price points: (1) one price for those who would like it on their personal car. Think anyone but how about the elderly or a single parent who needs the car to just run kids around after school.

And (2) a second price, like $200,000, for someone who wants to use FSD in a Tesla as a robo-taxi. With the software, Tesla would know the difference between the two users.

Its got to be cheaper to sell FSD than to build millions of cars to run it. Maybe I have the math wrong somewhere.

Reactions: Usain and wipster
And as a PS, I can even see a fully working FSD with two price points: (1) one price for those who would like it on their personal car. Think anyone but how about the elderly or a single parent who needs the car to just run kids around after school.

And (2) a second price, like $200,000, for someone who wants to use FSD in a Tesla as a robo-taxi. With the software, Tesla would know the difference between the two users.

Its got to be cheaper to sell FSD than to build millions of cars to run it. Maybe I have the math wrong somewhere.
Nope, I have FSD and one of the things Elon touted was the ability to use the car to make $$$.

Now Tesla will have smaller models (model 2 or whatever you want to call it) to develop their own fleet.

It’s coming , if you don’t have FSD you can’t possibly imagine, if you do have it … you know.

Cheers to the longs , man did we need some real news and I think we just got it.

Reactions: ShareLofty
AH jump of $4 on the Robotaxi reveal tweet
And at exactly the same time this is what happened to Uber

1712350865570.png

I for one don’t like going through pages and pages filled with pitch black thumbs down. I prefer discussion with arguments. But suit yourself, it was just a suggestion, not an instruction.
Often what was posted is incorrect and someone else has already corrected them. Or it's an opinion people may not agree with with nothing to debate. Or there are off the wall posts that should be nuked or posters banned and responding and going back and forth with a troll is not worth anybodies time.

If it's worthy of debate then people will respond and discuss. If it's a low quality post then at best they get a emoticon response to encourage or discourage similar posts. My thoughts on it anyway

The media has been lying about Tesla for over a decade. Still, Wall Street has not learned.

Now, we are in a world of generative AI, where even video can be fabricated to look indistinguishable from the real thing.

Wall Street is going to need to somehow get off its ass and not take every rumor as gospel, reacting like 5-year-olds to every piece of garbage that spews from the media’s mouth.
Hard to do when the average mental age appears to be under five.

Let's keep in mind that an unveil is not a release. I'm excited to see it, but we don't know how long there will be between unveil of a design / prototype and release of production.
I understood end of 2025 for production. From the last conference call.

Martin Viecha

Thank you. Let's go through investor questions. Question number one is from Michael: Given that you move the start of the next-generation compact vehicle production to Austin, has the timeline improved so that we might see the next-generation platform vehicles in 2025?

Elon Musk -- Chief Executive Officer and Product Architect

We -- I mean, I won't certainly say -- say things with -- they should be taken with a grain of salt since I'm often optimistic. But, you know, I don't want to blow your minds, but I'm often optimistic regarding time. But our current schedule says that we will start production toward the end of 2025, so sometime in the second half. That's just what our current schedule says.