Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to disagree n two points: first, the Federal Reserve System and Board are 100% US Federal Entities. They are NOT private. The regional Federal Reserve Banks are technically owned by the member banks in their District although they operate in policy set by the Federal Reserve Board. Here are the facts:

The next one would by hysterically funny were it not to be a totally false statement.
The 16th Amendment to the US Constitution gave the authority. Reading that might help. Just a glance of the IRSntimeline does the rest:

To describe those false statements as concurring mine was sad. My post was a satirical comment on the evolution of papar currency. I may have actually misled you when I referred to leaving the gold and silver standards. Those events have exactly zero to do with actual tax policy. Finally the FRS and IRS were indeed legislated the same year. Checking their legislative history shows they were both intended to help prevent financial crises and provide stable funding base for thenUS Government.

All of this belongs in a graduate monetary policy course, nit a general investors forum.
However, without understanding thenUS financial system, including also the SEC and the DTC are less well equipped to understand the practical financial risks of holding TSLA.

Understanding all that allows a far less transactional view of TSLA.

Thanks for the link. I was mistaken. It was the Federal Income Tax that was created in 1913, along with the Federal Reserve. Not the IRS itself.

These both were necessary, as the continued use of Gold and Silver as a currency would slow economic growth. The Fed Res Note was created as an alternative, and it displaced gold and silver, as well as US Treasury Notes over time. Gold as money was outlawed in the 30's, then made legal again thanks to legislation by Ron Paul in the 80's. This is why US Gold (and Silver) coins are again minted by the US Treasury. But Fed Res banks will only recognize their face value if someone were to use them as money. The one ounce silver dollar can be purchased for about 28 Fed Res dollar notes, and the fifty dollar gold Eagle can be had for around 2300 Fed Res dollars.

Frankly, both sides of the gold as money arguments have their strong points and their weak points. I don't take sides, rather I just work with whatever is popular and try to understand what I can about the money.

Fiat currencies allow the money supply to be expanded at a pace that, in a perfect scenario, would pace the growth of goods and services in the marketplace. A metallic or other standard based upon a limited physical reference can not be grown as quickly, thus can slow progress and cause problems.

If the pace of money creation is matched, the inflation of the supply will not result in devaluation of the dollar. Devaluation of the dollar is the result of growing the supply at a higher rate than is required to keep pace with a growing economy. Perhaps the national debt is the tally of those overages of money creation?

Fiat currency, in and of itself isn't a bad thing in principle. Historically, it is decisions by the people managing the growth of a currency that has been the downfall of one Fiat currency after another over the past 5000 years.

The Fed Res aiming for 2% inflation annually seems a reasonable goal, (if the economy is growing at 2% as well) but there are too many variables and influences to make that an easy job to manage.

The tough bit for Fiat money is how this type of currency is entirely belief-based. The moment that the "full faith and credit" of the issuer loses its followers, the currency is replaced. Historically speaking, this often results in uncomfortable times for those caught in the middle of it.

As I mentioned before, the move toward renewables and the incredible reduction in the cost of energy will have significant effect on how the currency (or currencies, worldwide) are managed. The cost of nearly everything is mostly derived from the costs of energy used to provide the goods and services.

As long-lasting, low maintenance production of energy and storage grows to a level that serves the needs of the economy, the cost of goods and services are likely to fall so as to reflect the actual cost of producing/providing them.

The great experiment continues. To bet on this bright future TSLA would be a good place to put your money, whether it be held as specie or Fiat.

HODL

Last edited:
I’m sure it will be nice to have a big FSD subscriber number for the upcoming earnings call, to offset the tepid earnings.

However arguably it is all about the data for training at the moment, and Tesla should perhaps consider offering for free for a limited time (say 6 months) but blowback from paid upfront FSD users may be a little high if they did that. Maybe worth offering for free in areas with low amount of users and where training data is lacking.
Nobody needs FSD to provide training data to Tesla. Every Tesla is already hardware-capable and data-connected to Tesla. They can pull data from any car they want, whether the drivers have FSD or not.

In fact, you do NOT want people using FSD when they are generating training data. You don't want to train FSD on vehicles that have FSD engaged. You want to train it on people driving manually.

(James Douma agrees with me. Or more accurately, I agree with James Douma).

Sooooo, I can't break 12.3.4. I had several things that 11.x either could barely do or not all. 12.3.4 has no issue that I can detect after nearly 200+ miles and I'll drive more, but this is sublime.

And I've tried, really really tried to break it. Throwing all kinds of traffic and complexities. It's been nearly a decade, to the month, when I started the team down this autonomous path and now, for the very first time, I'm left without words as my drives are without any reason to have a human behind the seat. Yes, there are corner cases and extraordinary circumstances which will be prioritized, but this is trivial by comparison.

Folks, ladies and gentlemen, members of the jury, we are on the march of 9s, at long last.

Expect 100s, 1000s, weeks and months, of 'human out of loop' driving in your vehicles.

I'm so proud of my former team.

So when we get earnings and they suck and the SP drops, I'll be buying calls/leaps as this is the beginning of the end. NFA😁
Take some drives away from California or wherever you are. We are in no way on the march of 9s yet. Trust me I want to be. And we're a lot closer now than we were a few months ago. But we're not there yet.

Dropping the price now makes sense for lots of reasons, the main reason being Tesla needs to establish good revenue streams for the next phase of growth.

I was thinking the main reason was more about gathering more FSD data for training by getting more vehicles involved, the revenue is just a bonus.

Eventually, the big ticket item will be a turn-key commercial Robotaxi with both a high price tag and a subscription that includes Taxi service management. Perhaps the cost of the service will be based on a percentage of vehicle revenue?

Nobody needs FSD to provide training data to Tesla. Every Tesla is already hardware-capable and data-connected to Tesla. They can pull data from any car they want, whether the drivers have FSD or not.

In fact, you do NOT want people using FSD when they are generating training data. You don't want to train FSD on vehicles that have FSD engaged. You want to train it on people driving manually.

Would there be some advantage in FSD users having the ability to flag problems, that would make the filtering process easier when Tesla is looking for specific examples to train on?

For instance, they get 10, or 100, or 1000 disengagements at a particular intersection or in a particular scenario they deem worthy of pursuing, then filter the fleet for those drivers who successfully navigate that problem spot for use in further training.

Last edited:

Yup and people had spent years disengaging and submitting reports about specific issues without them being fixed, I imagine the ability to spot fix things is further reduced with the end-to-end training.

Data are collected in shadow mode, this type of data collection in vehicles will probably become a bigger topic in the near future

Wall. Of. Pics.

Please consider a summary with links. One screenshot or 2 is ok, but 10 is a bit much.

Also, you can scale pics ya know....
Probably posted on their phone. This site automatically scales pics to full width if posting from mobile browser, and it's not obvious it happened unless you switch over to desktop. It's gotten me a couple times

Sooooo, I can't break 12.3.4. I had several things that 11.x either could barely do or not all. 12.3.4 has no issue that I can detect after nearly 200+ miles and I'll drive more, but this is sublime.

And I've tried, really really tried to break it. Throwing all kinds of traffic and complexities. It's been nearly a decade, to the month, when I started the team down this autonomous path and now, for the very first time, I'm left without words as my drives are without any reason to have a human behind the seat. Yes, there are corner cases and extraordinary circumstances which will be prioritized, but this is trivial by comparison.

Folks, ladies and gentlemen, members of the jury, we are on the march of 9s, at long last.

Expect 100s, 1000s, weeks and months, of 'human out of loop' driving in your vehicles.

I'm so proud of my former team.

So when we get earnings and they suck and the SP drops, I'll be buying calls/leaps as this is the beginning of the end. NFA😁
Thanks for the report. So are you seeing a significant improvement from 12.3.3 to 12.3.4?

Yup and people had spent years disengaging and submitting reports about specific issues without them being fixed,

FSD disengagement reports were only added ~1 year ago in FSD Beta v11.3.1

If you mean the old "bug report" voice feature anybody could do- those were never being "submitted" anywhere...they are stored locally on the car and Tesla never sees them at all unless you open a service ticket in the app and they then in connection with the service ticket connect into your specific car to check the logs that are saved with the report.

This is what I've been thinking about lately as well. Disengagements are useful data points, but it seems like lots of just normal mundane human driving is way more valuable. And also that you wouldn't want FSD to learn from its own bad habits.

That's what's been confusing about the "1 billion miles driven on FSD" stat that's being trotted out. Sure, it's cool that more people are using it. It has definitely improved. But also the fleet size is growing and the subscription price is decreasing and a bunch of people got it for free for a while -- does it really matter when 2 billion (or 6 billion) miles comes? It just feels like a very indirect measure of FSD's "quality".

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
They certainly have allowed for several countries to compete for the next Giga. Many(most) of these will be eventual Megafactory sites moreso than Gigafactory sites. The battery business does not have as many end product players in Energy as it does in Auto, and it makes sense to localize production as the factory footprint is much smaller.

Last edited:
Reactions: petit_bateau
The chances of unintended acceleration happening once are about 1 in 100 billion. Actually, probably a lot less than that. Twice to the same person? Utter nonsense.
That is exactly what I told my wife. And I also told her that historically, regardless of the brands, after investigation it is always the driver's misunderstanding and mis-operation.
Guess what my wife replied to me.

Anyway, I think that is a very personal experience, and no one else can say anything for that person.
Now I just want to fix the front motor issue.

Back to FSD, I think $99/month is really attractive. Now most drivers have experienced it, I think, for a 5-days road trip, it is already worth it to include this $99 as an expense of the trip. Much safer and have more fun on the road.

Reactions: Mengy
Would there be some advantage in FSD users having the ability to flag problems, that would make the filtering process easier when Tesla is looking for specific examples to train on?

For instance, they get 10, or 100, or 1000 disengagements at a particular intersection or in a particular scenario they deem worthy of pursuing, then filter the fleet for those drivers who successfully navigate that problem spot for use in further training.
I have a really hard time believing:

1) That they don’t already have a ton of that feedback, and
2) That they are not already aware of 100 significant issues known to need work.

Maybe. I'd certainly like this as an owner, but not so sure as an investor. I'd need to see the data Tesla has. I suspect we'll get there as the chemistries evolve towards the "million mile" pack life. On the current and past packs, I'm not sure what liability would come with that extension. But, if you believe that Tesla is truly working on million mile worthy batteries and motors, you would agree that Tesla will be able to safely extend battery warranties in the future.
LFP is likely already a million-mile chemistry because LFP cells easily last for thousands of cycles if paired with a good battery management system. A 250-mile LFP battery needs to survive for 4000 cycles to hit 1 million miles. High-quality LFP cells in well controlled environments have been show to do double or even triple that.

Better aging and cycle-life characteristics[edit]​

LFP chemistry offers a considerably longer cycle life than other lithium-ion chemistries. Under most conditions it supports more than 3,000 cycles, and under optimal conditions it supports more than 10,000 cycles. NMC batteries support about 1,000 to 2,300 cycles, depending on conditions.

Also at 2019 Autonomy Day Elon said "The new battery pack that is probably going to production next year [2020] is designed explicitly for 1 million miles of operation.” This was probably in reference to the LFP packs that Giga Shanghai was about to start making. Later, in June 2020, CATL's chairman also said they have a million-mile battery ready, but did not disclose the customer.

Last edited:
Elon has been quoted as saying FSD complete will need at least 6 B miles of training

Grok
Yes, Tesla's Full Self-Driving (FSD) system requires extensive training data to improve its performance and safety. The company has been gathering data from its fleet of vehicles, which has collectively driven over 1 billion miles on FSD as of the information available. This is a significant milestone, but it is anticipated that Tesla will need to accumulate more data, potentially reaching around 6 billion miles driven, to further enhance the FSD system. This data is crucial for training the neural networks that underpin the FSD technology, enabling the system to handle a wide range of driving scenarios and improve its overall performance.

Elon has been quoted as saying FSD complete will need at least 6 B miles of training

He's also been quoted as saying other #s for various self-driving milestones.

Some folks will read this as it's a very hard problem, nobody knows the actual final answer and he is eternally optimistic, and thus has to revise that number over time.

Some folks will read this... less charitably.

Last edited: