Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does firing 25% of a factory's staff help a ramp up? For a factory that's been operating at ~40-50% of stated capacity for a while now.
To make way for the bots.

No but seriously, do you think everyone that works at a Gigafactory is on the floor screwing in parts, it's highly automated and a lot of jobs are office based. They have probably automated more and more and require much less manual work especially when they start Gen 3 ramping.

They've never laid off 10+% of their employees.

As I noted, the 10% in 2022 never came to fruition via their 10-Q filings.

These are the facts. Just because you don't like them doesn't make them incorrect.
They haven't this time yet. What's your point? They have cut staff before and it never caused any problems it just helps the bottom line. Read this it may help with your lack of understanding of how business works. Vitality curve

Deeply hoping the Drew leaving thing (now being somewhat widely reported) is not accurate and just a case of one source citing a rumor then everyone else repeating it as news.

Is it a possibility the American stock market will be depressed on Monday because some investors will be selling stocks to pay tax bills? April 15th would be pretty much the last time to do that

Smart folks pay their taxes on April 15 via new credit cards to get some lucrative signup bonuses (ROI 4-5x of fee cost as cash, or 30-40x on premium airfares), plus give themselves another ~30 days to actually pay the bill :)

To make way for the bots.

No but seriously, do you think everyone that works at a Gigafactory is on the floor screwing in parts,

Apparently nobody was screwing in the accelerator covers on the Cybertruck :(

As long as it isn't another rant about macro. I want focus to be on things Tesla CAN control and what the plan is.
How can you not know what the plan is!? It’s pretty clear and always has been.

Continue to look for efficiencies, preparations for the next growth phase, all-in FSD. What part don’t you understand?

OT: I saw a paper check sometime on early 1990's. It's kinda absurd to hear that they are still in use somewhere on Tellus... :)
When Tesla owes money to a client they still use physical checks sent by US mail. Physical checks, for those who don't remember, are pieces of paper (a processed wood product) sent by an antiquated method once common that employs 'internal combustion engines' (look that up) topper vehicles that move that 'mail' from point of origin to small boxes that each person(s) have to access physically. Those then are transmitted the recipient's bank, luckily that normally can be done electronically. Tesla gets 'float' out of that. I'm still waiting for my 'check' for funds tesla owes me from my February purchase of a Model Y.

The last check I had before that was some years ago. In Brasil we do not even have check for our accounts. Every payment, even for pennies is electronic now.

I'm surprised Tesla gains enough float to justify all those paper processes.

Email from Elon:

Over the years, we have grown rapidly with multiple factories scaling around the globe. With this rapid growth there has been duplication of roles and job functions in certain areas. As we prepare the company for our next phase of growth, it is extremely important to look at every aspect of the company for cost reductions and increasing productivity.

As part of this effort, we have done a thorough review of the organization and made the difficult decision to reduce our headcount by more than 10% globally. There is nothing I hate more, but it must be done. This will enable us to be lean, innovative and hungry for the next growth phase cycle.

I would like to thank everyone who is departing Tesla for their hard work over the years. I’m deeply grateful for your many contributions to our mission and we wish you well in your future opportunities. It is very difficult to say goodbye.

For those remaining, I would like to thank you in advance for the difficult job that remains ahead. We are developing some of the most revolutionary technologies in auto, energy and artificial intelligence. As we prepare the company for the next phase of growth, your resolve will make a huge difference in getting us there.

Thanks,
Elon
Right. Business as usual. Too bad so many don’t pay attention and are looking for any excuse, around every corner, to be negative on this company. You’d think over a decade of history would clue everyone in. Apparently not.

You'd have to hope the following with Drew leaving.

1. 4680 is basically done and they are just copying the lines
2. FSD is now the only mission of the company and they are basically ready to go.
3. Megapack is a copy and paste to build more storage.

Because if those are true then the company makes its shift to transportation as a service with a minor side of car sales and continues to build Optimus....tack on megapack and you have the next 10 years figured out. Maybe he sees his work as done and the effort required at Tesla is beyond what he wants to do. I'm sure he's in the 100's of millions in options or stock.

If some or none of these are true, it tells me that Elon has basically decreed that they are solely focused on FSD and next gen car and Drew doesn't see it. You combine that with production layoffs I think they are fine with the 1.5M+ premium cars, SUV's and trucks per year, with the intent to automate most of the Robotaxi.

Last edited: